Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Writer urges Internet junkies to 'switch off' and think

Comments

• I can quit any time I want to homeboy!!!
  • Switching off is on my to do list too
  • it is fine to switch off using electronic products once in a while.

...and it will be nice if you have written a comment on the article.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    it is fine to switch off using electronic products once in a while.

...and it will be nice if you have written a comment on the article.
    Me?
    My thoughts is definitely switch off.
    I am doing exactly what is being outlined.
    I'm setting amount of time that I can use technology and then switch off.
  • Yeah, I read this essay by Nicholas Carr before. Load of garbage, and it's not "celebrated" at all. It has been widely criticized as the garbage it is. The man thinks that he is starting to have problems concentrating, and looks around for why, and fixates on the internet as the cause. According to him, the internet somehow trains our brains to not concentrate. What evidence does he have? Not one bit, whatsoever. It's all speculation on the line of "playing Dungeons and Dragons causes kids to be violent".

Garbage.

First of all, the man self-diagnoses an imaginary problem of not concentrating. Because he somehow remembers concentrating being easier in the past. That kind of subjective comparison is notoriously wrong. For all he knows, nothing has changed and he simply is just now noticing he isn't very good at concentrating.

And if his observation of his own abilities is correct, let's see. What does he refuse to consider as a cause? Well, he's getting older. He might have more stress in his life, or something causing him to be a little depressed. That interferes with concentration. Maybe he's just bored with what he's doing. Same thing. But no, he jumps to the conclusion it's that internet thing.

I could go on, but really, it's just a game of "the old ways are better".