Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Small Town Justice...(or Lack Thereof)

edited January 2006 in Buddhism Today
:rant:

Okay, I'll just get this out, then I'll let it go.

November 29th 2005, I get pulled over for speeding. It was obvious to me that the Officer clocked the wrong car. He clocked the car in front of me who swerved around me like a fool.

Arguing with the Officer would do no good, so I just accepted the ticket and waited for the Court Date. Which was tonight.

This is a very small town. Woodheights, Missouri. Its one of those tiny strips of road between somewhere and somewhere else. Its also one of those towns where, before you reach the town-strip the speed limit is 55. Then it turns to 45 for no reason whatsoever except to trap motorists who happen to miss the speed change. Then it goes back to 55 after the two minute drive through town ends.

So anyway...The court in Woodheights, Missouri was a Farce. What a joke.

I plead not guilty to the charge. They say that after they go through everyone else, we'll have a "trial" for my contested charge. So I'm there an hour and a half before my "trial". The Judge says the police officer must "prove" that I was speeding.

I explain very politely that I think it was an honest mistake, that the officer is probably very good at his job, its just that it was dark and there were cars on either side of the road, that he might've been mistaken. I also explained that I had seen the officers car parked on the opposite side of the road and explained that my natural instinct is to check my speed, and that my spedometer read 45, not to mention there was a car behind me going the same speed for several miles and that that car wasnt pulled over by the officer.

The Prosecutor stands up and starts raving on--over-dramatically--like this was a John Grisham novel. He asked frivolous questions like, "Officer Bob--do you recognize the man standing next to you?" Officer Bob--"Yes". "Was this the man you pulled over on the night of November 29th 2005?" "Yes". AS IF OFFICER BOB WOULD ACTUALLY REMEMBER ME AND MY INCIDENT FROM A MONTH AGO!! "Was your equipment working properly that night?" "Yes" "Were there in other cars around the defendant's car at the time you pulled him over for speeding?" "No"..."No further questions your honor."

Then the Judge told me that I could only ask questions of Officer Bob (I dont remember his name). I was appalled by the line of questioning being asked by the "Prosecuting Attorney" that I just stood there shock-still. Finally I said, "Uhh--No, I dont have any questions."

Anyway, the Judge finally said that I was still quilty of Speeding. I said, "Well sure, its my word against his." The Judge said, "Well, I have other factors I take into account when making a decision." I asked, "And those would be?" The Judge huffed at me and said, "Guilty of Speeding, your fine is $125 dollars, plus $25 dollars for court costs."

I couldnt believe it! If I had just paid the damn fine it would've been just 125, but since I tried to defend myself from a bogus charge, I'm now 25 dollars poorer.

AHHHHHHHH!! It was like the Judge, Police Officer, and Prosecutor all had this script that they followed. It was absurd. The Officer didnt "PROVE" anything except that his word is taken as "Proof" over a commoner's.

:bs:

Okay...I'm going to meditate for the next two days to get over this.

Comments

• XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Okay GOOD POST!

I am dissapointed at your so-called "legal system" but i will let that go. If it was The Rainmaker, then perhaps you may have "Won".
    Sorry to hear that Infinite. It would P*** me of no end as well.

I wish metta to you and severe karmic results on your Mr. Plod. hope this helps. I'll pray for you and my wife will pray to her God for you.

Combined we shall see the B*****d rot in whichever Hell he believes in ! WOOHOO

You may probably see some distaste for the legal system (whichever country, they're all flawed in some respect)

love.
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Unfortunately, it's what tends to happen in small towns. Speeding tickets are actually impossible to find guilty for most times, because the officer involved doesn't have any sort of camera with a Radar Readout superimposed. More copcars need that, as it makes it far more difficult for officers to write dodgy and uncertain tickets. Honestly, write the Missouri State Supreme Court. It probably won't accomplish anything, but nobody ever complains about illegitimate infraction charges (since infractions themselves are fine only), so they slide through the system most of the time. Become someone known to fight tooth and nail, and you'll likely be bothered less for minor stuff.
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited January 2006
    I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the Police and Courts- it seems the spirit of Boss Hogg and Roscoe P. Coltrane live on. It's pretty much the same here in the UK- our police are paid on a performance-related basis, which means that their pay depends on the number of successful convictions they make. (You'd think it would be based on how safe the area is, but that's too much like common sense!:confused: ) Because of that, speed fines and traffic offences are guaranteed easy collars, so you'll find hundreds of traffic cops where you don't need them, and none where the really serious crimes occur. :grumble:

That said, many speed fines have been overturned because evidence has surfaced indicating that the speed guns are inaccurate and unreliable. Experiments have shown speed guns clocking stationary trees at 25 mph! It might just be possible that similar data is available to you over there which will help you overturn the Courts' ruling. I sincerely wish you luck!

peace.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    InfiniteKnot,
    This is truly an enraging experience. I'm feeling a lot of anger about your situation. It's so completely unfair and it really, really sucks. You must be so frustrated you want to scream, or kick, or punch, or break something.
    Here's the secret trick:
    Whenever you have to present yourself for any kind of meeting, whether it's court, a labour meeting, insurance, real eastate, investing, complex banking, whatever it is, if it is outside the realm of your profession or experience, have a professional from that particular area represent you or give you advice. Only they know the language and the rules and when it comes to legal matters, only they will understand your rights fully. For example, here in Canada there are companies in each province run by ex-cops who, for a nominal fee, will tell you exactly how to handle a speeding ticket and/or court appearance. There is also Legal Aid for those who can't afford to hire an attorney and they will also represent you. What makes me so angry is that nobody tells you this. You have to figure it out on your own. It's very frustrating. I had to learn all about this sort of crap when I was (and still am) dealing with my ex-employer's insurers for my back injury. I drove myself insane trying to defend myself from their attacks etc. etc. etc. Then I wised up and called The Legal Clinic, a place I found in the local phone book that deals with exactly what I'm dealing with (for FREE!). All this time I thought I had to do it alone. Now, a thousand pound (kilo) weight has been lifted off my shoulders. You don't have to do any crap like this on your own. As a matter of fact, when it comes to court appearances, the judge and other attorneys will be thankful if you are represented by someone or have been advised by a professional. They are so rushed and tired and cranky that they don't want to deal with "citizens". They want to deal with people who are fluent in their own language. Do you know what I mean?
    I know this has been a brutal learning experience, but it's a learning experience nonetheless. Chalk it up to vital life experience. Next time, you will know better and therefore you will do better (to badly paraphrase Maya Angelou).

In sympathy and solidarity,
    your friend Brigid.
  • edited January 2006
    Sorry to hear about your experience. In the UK "Speeding" has to be witnessed by TWO Police Officers or ONE with supporting evidence such as Speed camera or VASCAR a system fitted to the vehicule. Futhermore this equipment must be calibrated and checked on a regular basis. Sounds like a scene out of the film 'Doc Hollywood'...

Incidentally this is one of the few Laws that requires the evidence of Two officers...I wonder WHY??
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited January 2006
    In Singapore you have no arguments.

"License, Sir."
    A few seconds later...
    "Your fine, Sir." and then the police officer drives off.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited January 2006
    I believe "speeding" is a racket. Just a way to generate addtional income for a city. Abraham had a good point - just asking a police office "Was your equipment working properly?" Doesn't cut it. Make him prove his equipment was working correctly on that night. Make him prove the processes for calibration for this specific model of radar. Have him show the documentation that proves the equipment was calibrated and working correctly on that night. Does he have any documentation? It's just as easy for you to say "No, it wasn't working correctly" as it is for him to say "it was".

I hate speeding operations by our local police force. I know this is some label, preconception, or something that I need to get over with - but it does piss me off.

I won't go into many details here, but I had a friend who's wife got punched in the face by another woman that they both know.
    The called the police and the police asked if they wanted to press charges. Knowing how psycho this woman was - they were afraid to do anything without talking to their attorney. Should they press charges and then have this woman do something else to them? So, they waited until the next morning, spoke with their attorney and tried to press charges.

But, guess what? They wouldn't do it. Oh, they would take her statement and fill out all the pertinent documetation - but they said, "We're just so short on manpower, we don't have time to have someone go deliver this charge for 4th degree assault." But, he assured them it would probably sit in a pile somewhere to collect dust and maybe get processed in the future.
    That very same night, I was driving home and saw three cop cars sitting on the side of the road trying to bust people for speeding.

The only conclusion I can come to is: protecting the citizens of a city is not "profitable". Driving around and "looking" for crimes is not as profitable as sitting on your ass waiting for criminals going 6 miles over the speed limit.

You find someone breaking into a house and what does the city earn? $0.00. Nada. Zip.

You find someone driving down the road going 10 miles over the speed limit AND possibly not wearing a seatbelt AND maybe they don't have proof of insurance? You could easily wrack up $1,000.00 for the city.

It's a joke. Just put it behind you and move on - it ain't gonna change.

-bf
  • edited January 2006
    Good point Buddhafoot. around here, at the end of the month, everyone knows not to speed. Police Officers are out to meet their quota!

I have been to court too regarding a speeding ticket. I was in fact speeding so I had no arguement. After about 1/2 hour waiting, neighbor of mine, a policeofficer, came over to me and said, 'You're all set Marybeth...it's taken care of' Because he knew me, the judge let it go!!!!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Good point Buddhafoot. around here, at the end of the month, everyone knows not to speed. Police Officers are out to meet their quota!

I have been to court too regarding a speeding ticket. I was in fact speeding so I had no arguement. After about 1/2 hour waiting, neighbor of mine, a policeofficer, came over to me and said, 'You're all set Marybeth...it's taken care of' Because he knew me, the judge let it go!!!!

Yes, but your Right Mindfulness and Right Intention made you want to pay the ticket anyway - since you were speeding, right?

That's a wonderful story. How, even though a police officer, you knew, was going to try to get you off - even though you were truly speeding and breaking the law - you weren't going to let it happen! No, siree! You were going to do what is right!

You just made my day! There are good people in the world! :)

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Sorry for the miserable turn of events, I.K. Whenever I get in such cIrcumstances, I try (I said try - I don't always succeed!) to remind myself of the "Cow Karma" story I posted a while back, mainly that it's just my own karma staring me in the face once again. A rotten experience, for sure, especially when you realize it's your own crap coming back to haunt you! What could be worse!?

Palzang