Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Writing and buddhism?!

So, can you mix these two well? What if I were to write about something like the pain of growing up or something and it's without a Buddhist message? Like I don't know if this is a silly question... anyway, I am just wondering everyone's thoughts about writing about suffering?

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    Writing about suffering is okay... writing about how to overcome suffering is better. :)
  • "Now", I believe you should write about whatever moves you to write. You don't need the Buddhist Housekeeping Seal of Approval. Writing about your own suffering can be enormously helpful to others going through similar challenges. They'll feel like they're not alone, for one thing. And they can learn from your experience. If it seems appropriate or helpful at some point to include some Buddhist wisdom, fine. If not, also fine. Writing in order to help others is Right Livelihood, with a seasoning of Buddhism, or without. :)
  • Ultimately when a being wishes to follow the path to the utmost with the intention of realizing Nibbana, then activities such as writing don't really have any place in their life, only meditating and contemplation do. However, for a being who wishes to make achievements on the path without fully renouncing the worldly life, writing is certainly an acceptable expression, and in fact might even benefit the practitioner. :)
    -Tikal
  • what was the question? :eek2:
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    so far i wrote about what i understood as Buddha's Teaching and how we can practice it as lay followers

after the first one published i found that many of my friends and relatives have found it difficulty to understand the contents
    so i wrote another book by simplifying the contents of the first book

because of the readerships demand (i received letters asking to write more books because they like the style of the writing of those two books) i wrote (third) another book

since i felt that necessary to clarify some points of the third book i wrote the fourth book (all these happened because i continued the meditation and day by day my understanding get clear and clear about Lord Buddha's Teaching)

afterwords i thought no more writing, no more publishing because i wrote up to the highest point of my understanding and the reader can reach to the same point if he strives
    the fourth one is on its way (still in the publishing stage)

but after one and half years, here i am writing again
    but this time it is not direct dhamma, but sort of novel which include dhamma that can reach to so many young readers who do not want to read religious books but who will be reading a religious book without knowing and thinking that they are reading a novel

this book is a challenge for me because i am trying to mix the style of writing a novel and religious book

however, my intention is good, so i am quite sure this will be a success

i never thought that i would be a writer
    after doing 6 or 7 years of meditation i wrote the first book with the intention that showing some points that can be thought by meditation practitioners

from that day on words, here i am a writer of a four books

it is not a big deal

start to write today, a page or two may be enough for one day, you might write 20 to 30 pages another day

just start your writing

• CloudCloud Veteran
    I want to write a book on reality. Not "Buddhism", but reality. That would be a challenge and quite possibly helpful to people if not too wordy or complicated.

And... fiction novels. Fantasy, maybe sci-fi. Something. Hey, I'm not a buddha. :)
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Of course. I do:0
    http://www.leonbasin.net It's good to reflect on your writing and how you felt later in your life.
  • I think writing about suffering is good (beneficial) because it can us & others understand & comprehend suffering.

Regards
  • Sure, I'm both author and Buddhist. http://theweaving.blogspot.com/

Buddhists have a long tradition of creating artwork, painting and writing poetry and such.

I have a couple of novels out, about a dozen short stories in various anthologies and magazines and three more at least going to be published this year. It's fantasy and science fiction, mostly, although I've been getting quite a few fans of stories sold to romance anthologies. Love stories are fun to write.

The writing doesn't have to be about Buddhism. Fiction is nothing but stories about people with problems. The more you understand your mind and how all minds work, the more alive your characters become.