Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Theravadan Artwork?

JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
edited June 2011 in Arts & Writings
I've seen a lot of Japanese and Tibetan artwork, but I was unable to find any in the Theravadan tradition. I thought of this in the Self or no-Self thread as the topic came up comparing depictions of Buddha in Tibetan art to depictions of Krishna in Indian. I wanted to see Theravadan artwork so I can know how they are inspired spiritually.

Comments

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Here in the first picture from the Abhayagiri monastery is a Thanka, I would love to hang on my wall, as an example. I would love to see more.
    All the best,
    Todd
    http://www.abhayagiri.org/gallery/presentation/1329/
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Looks really nice. Thanks, Todd.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited June 2011
    I will be honest Theravaden art work tends to be rather meger. Its not a bad thing as I think rather then being concerned with outward appearence they are very much inwardly focused heavily emphasizing meditative action. :)
  • http://justinsitar.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=75556857

I've seen this painting and others in a Theravadan Buddhist temple. This is one of several. It belonged to a series that depicted the Buddha's life. It's about 3'x 5'. I'm not sure if its "Theravadan", but nice artwork..
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Thanks santhisouk a nice painting.

Zenff I like these more ornate works. Thanks.
  • In this video, from 2:20, there are replicas of the oldest Buddhist artworks.

It is noticeable that the artworks do not include the "Buddha image" or "Buddha rupa"

The artwork uses symbols for the Buddha, such as 'the bodhi tree' or 'a wheel' or 'an empty footprint'

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Pre-iconic phase (5th century - 1st century BCE)

During the 2nd to 1st century BCE, sculptures became more explicit, representing episodes of the Buddha’s life and teachings. These took the form of votive tablets or friezes, usually in relation to the decoration of stupas. Although India had a long sculptural tradition and a mastery of rich iconography, the Buddha was never represented in human form, but only through Buddhist symbolism. This period may have been aniconic.

This reluctance towards anthropomorphic representations of the Buddha, and the sophisticated development of aniconic symbols to avoid it (even in narrative scene where other human figures would appear). This tendency remained as late as the 2nd century CE in the southern parts of India, in the art of the Amaravati School (see: Mara's assault on the Buddha). It has been argued that earlier anthropomorphic representations of the Buddha may have been made of wood and may have perished since then. However, no related archaeological evidence has been found.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_art

:)
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited June 2011
    this video has plenty of artwork although alot of it not Theravadin

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Great video highly recommend. Liked the face of the avalokiteshevra sculpture. Good music too. Very acclaimed intelligence of Bhikku.

Looks very hot in the coconut grove hehe
  • The video is a tour of a Buddhist art gallery