Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Lotus Eaters

XraymanXrayman Veteran
edited January 2006 in General Banter
Hi all,
about 15 years ago I was introduced to a pop band from the UK called, The Lotus Eaters.
Has anyone else heard of this band? they were great!

it's interesting though, because I find that I see a lot more in many things since becoming "Buddhist"

OH just found a link...Ther's no music to download, but if you ever get the chance listen to Alone of all her sex and German Girl they are the two best songs on the album called No Sense of Sin.

P.S. Is eating a Lotus cannibalistic if we regard the Buddha as the "Lotus' ? mmmmmm

P.P.S This is yet again another crappy joke from me, yes you may disregard it.:-/

http://www.leonardslair.co.uk/lotus.htm

Comments

• edited January 2006
    Okay.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited January 2006
    :hrm: Sometimes i mean things figuratively, Zen.
  • edited January 2006
    Okay. :thumbsup:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    THE LOTUS EATERS???
    I don't BELIEVE it!!!!!!

When I spent a year in Wales (15 years ago), there was a song by The Lotus Eaters on the jukebox in the student union bar and I fell in love with it. It was called "First picture of You" and I can barely listen to it now (have it on tape) because it transports me right back to those days and I get an ache in the heart. I'm still way too attached to that time.

Genryu, LMAO over above post and smiley. Still laughing...can't breathe...
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Weren't they the bad guys in the Harry Potter books?

-bf
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Yes the song "the first picture of you" holds a special place in my heart as well-how bizzare?! the song is actually the first single lifted off the album when it was released in 1984 (I think)

i think now that the songs on the album are quite and I hate the wanky term but, "Inspirational" sounding.

regards, and "foot" and fed, Could you please refrain from talking about your diapers/underpants or lack therefof in the future? some of us struggle each day to keep our lunches down. thanks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    Aw c'mon Xrayman , big guys down't spew.... Smile... very hard... very fixedly... it suppresses the 'gag' reflex....

Can I help it if BF is a little.....odd....? ;)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Xrayman,
    How COOL! I feel exactly the same way about that song. It IS inspirational. I loved it immediately upon first hearing. I haven't heard the rest of the album, or any other of their songs. I think I'll have to go looking to see if I can find a copy. I can't describe the feeling it gave me. It was strong. This is cool. Here I am in Canada and you're all the way on the other side of the earth and yet we both felt this obscure song. I better stop talking about this 'cuz it IS getting a little "wanky". Urg. It's difficult to describe music properly, isn't it?

Fede,
    You know what else stops that gag reflex? Humming. It really does. Maybe that's why the doctor tells us to go "AHHHHH" when she sticks the tongue depressor down our throats.:-/
  • edited January 2006
    This is going off at a complete tangent here, reading Brigid's last post, I was reminded of how I was taken aback a little while ago, watching one of the TV channels here in the US, that was broadcasting a preview of some British show, in prime time. The clip was of one of the characters loudly shouting, "Wanker" at another character. If more Americans knew what it meant, it would never have been broadcast. It restored my faith in human nature.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    Funnily enough, I'm currently participating in a discussion on a Christian Forum, in the Non-Christian section, and a somewhat fervent enthusiastic and devout member of the Church is in there giving it some real Biblical evagelical stick..... His forum name is Obi1kanobi... and another member, who is British, suggested that if you remove the Obi and the Nobi, it sums him up.... and the only one who understood it was me.....:o :D
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Hey, I got it! 1ka. That's good!

When I used it in my post I was thinking "This isn't quite the right word but I'll use it anyway". I'm not sure if I even know what it's original meaning is. I've used it to describe a guy overdoing a guitar solo as in "Quit your wanking and get on with the song" (hope that's not too rude to post here!) or when someone is extolling their own virtues ad nauseam. Isn't it originally a term used for...what teenage boys are usually doing in the bathroom when the door is locked?
    And how bad is the word "knackered"? Is it only a replacement for the "F" word with an e and d at the end? Or can it be innocuous as in describing how tired one feels?
    I know this is off topic but language is so interesting. My father and I discuss language all the time. He's in mourning for proper usage and I'm celebrating the way language is constantly changing. I love new words that people come up with that hold a lot of meaning in our current culture. I find communication endlessly fascinating.
  • edited January 2006
    I realized some years ago that the word 'Bollocks' can be a satisfactory answer to all questions.
  • edited January 2006
    Language is my job and I am fascinated it by it. Words in themselves are not offensive, it is the way they are said. I have a hard job explaining to my French students that the word " Bugger " can be used affectionately (their worst word ever has roughly the same meaning) - I can look at my husband and say "You silly old bugger" and it is full of love, whereas I can use an inoffensive phrase and put as much venom as a dictionary of swearing into it.

Knackered is vulgar, not offensive - it only has one asterisk in the dictionary. As the original word means testicles I assume it means "as tired as if my testicles had been removed" - but I could be wrong.
    edited January 2006
    This is very clever... "Let's all discuss foul language under the pretext of improving our vocabualry... That way Federica won't be able to moderate - :tongue2: :crazy:

You guyz....!
    Ya got me....!! :lol::lol::lol:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Genryu,
    LOL!

Fede,
    Shall we stop? 'cuz I'm loving this!
    But I'll stop if you say so. I'm pretty good at following direction.
    Plus, it's off topic. But then again, I don't know how much more we can say about The Lotus Eaters.

Knit,
    Is THAT what the "K" word means? Like gelded? I never knew! How interesting,
  • edited January 2006
    Yes - "knackers" is an anglo saxon word for the contents of the scrotal sac, which like most originally anglo saxon words was a plain old noun but got declared "off limits" by the Norman-French speaking aristocracy after the 1066 invasion. It is also the origin of the name for the place where dead carcasses are disposed of Knackers yard - what was sent there was knackered so logically ....

So was the F word - which was no more offensive than "intercourse" before the Normans decided it was.

And I'm sorry I'm a sodomist for going off the copulating topic!
    edited January 2006
    ....Oh Good Grief.....! :grumble: :nonono: :lol:
  • edited January 2006
    It's good to be hegamacated.