Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Lets cultivate!!!

edited June 2011 in Philosophy
We are all humans, with all of our sensory organs intact and our mental conditions reasonables stable! Most of us on here are living in first world countries where your free from war, famine and religious persecution! We have managed to encounter Buddhism and we have learnt from our past experiences that to live life like a mundane person is not enough!

Time is short

why waste more time debating, judging and spreading bitterness?

Human life is precious, don't waste it and cultivate to purify our minds!

Does it really matter who's read more books? The most clever person is probably the one who is more deluded from the way.

Comments

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    Nice post.

But can "True Believers" catch the bug to cultivate and purify?

There's only one way, after all, they say.
  • I get what you're saying. It's something I've been thinking on today, after watching clips of Stephen Fry and Morgan Freeman talk on various subjects (such wise old cookies).
    Sometimes the more knowledge we gain, the more we want to separate concepts and people into groups, and classifications. (This is the right way, that is the wrong way. I'm this kind of person, you're that kind of person.) I always assumed Buddhism fought against this kind of reasoning, but I have discovered from reading various threads... that there is always a tendency for people to divide concepts into groups. (You can't call yourself Theravada unless you practice this, if you practice zen then it is done this way.) There are people caught in the middle asking what's the true way... even though in our hearts we know that experiences and truths are relative. Inevitably debate and argument ensue since we all have our own concepts of truth. We try to argue with logic, quotes from books, personal experience etc.
    Sometimes I think the wisest person is the one who admits "I try to know a little of everything, but I'm an expert on nothing."
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited June 2011
    ...to live life like a mundane person is not enough!
    So you have decided to leave this chatsite and devote your life to meditation.

Good for you. Good luck and good-bye! I hope you find the supramundane.

:)
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

Time is short

why waste more time debating, judging and spreading bitterness?

Human life is precious, don't waste it and cultivate to purify our minds!
    To cultivate, IMO, is at basis an act of generosity. Being generous towards the points of view of others, therefore, is part of the bargain if we want others to flourish in their gardening.

Enough with "true believers!" They, more than anything, are the problem, seems to me.

Cultivating and purifying the mind have nothing to do with "correct beliefs." Only correct posture will help with this. Taking a posture of animosity hurts everyone.

Let there be peace on earth and let it begin within —in cultivating and purifying the consciousness.