Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

One of your favorite quotes by Buddha? One of mine is:

All that we are is the result of what we have thought. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him.

Comments

• Oh, I love the Dhammapada!

Here's a quote that floors me whenever I think about it.

(Mahāparinibbāna Sutta)

Then the Buddha addressed all the monks once more, and these were the very last words he spoke:

"Behold, O monks, this is my last advice to you. All component things in the world are changeable. They are not lasting. Work hard to gain your own salvation."

Or, my own translation into modern English:

"This is all I have left to say. Nothing lasts forever. Keep on trying!"
  • edited June 2011
    I like that quote, thanks. Buddha was wise
  • bravehawkbravehawk Explorer
    "An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind."

or

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned."

• Oh, I love the Dhammapada!
    Me too! I kind of ignored it for the first years of my Dharma, but the recently I have been reading as many versions as I can get hold of. It's crazy hpow much they differ, and wonderful too.

The most recent one I have been reading is Burlingame's from the 1860's(?). He didn't finish it but it has some great perspectives on it.

googling: dhammapada filetype: pdf

Brings up many.

Also, if you drop the font size down and do multipage printing you can fit the entire Dhammapada on a single A4 sheet.

I read a quote the other day that said if all Buddhist texts were destroyed but the Dp there would still be enough for Dharma to shine. I agree.

xx