Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Temple or meeeting list??

edited January 2006 in Buddhism Basics
I have tried to find a local temple or even groups that maybe meet and chat but have had no luck. Is there some resource someone could recommend that may list what I'm looking for??

Thank you all in advance...

Comments

• edited January 2006
    You could try here:

Tricyclye Dharma Center Directory

Buddhanet's World Buddhist Directory

One thing I would say though is that very few Buddhist Centers have meetings just to talk. They may well offer introductory classes or events, but this often involves doing meditation as well as an introduction to the 'theory' as it were of Buddhist Practice.
  • edited January 2006
    You could try here:

Tricyclye Dharma Center Directory

Buddhanet's World Buddhist Directory

One thing I would say though is that very few Buddhist Centers have meetings just to talk. They may well offer introductory classes or events, but this often involves doing meditation as well as an introduction to the 'theory' as it were of Buddhist Practice.

thats what I thought but was lacking the ability to get the right words out at the time. Thank you for the info. I did find one localy but they only have a po box and no address so I emailed them to find out more information.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    I know - we ALL know - that coming onto an on-line forum is not quite the same as being able to sit and talk, and exchange, and engage with other Buddhists in a face-to-face, one-to-one chat, but for me personally, it's all I have.

One of the advantages though, is that you get quasi-simultaneous feedback from different disciplines or schools of Buddhism, so it's like an international meet, rather than a single-discipline inter-action....

Feel free, if ever you need to ask anything at all, to come in and talk. Opinions, views and answers are bound to vary, but we will all give you our sincere, unbiased and constructive response.... so if you DO find a centre or Temple near you, that goes some way to satisfying your needs - you'll have the best of BOTH worlds - !! :thumbsup:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    "...but for me personally, it's all I have."

Me too, Fede. I don't have access to any other Buddhist community or Buddhists face to face. And you know what? The more I research Buddhism when I'm off this site the more I appreciate coming home to you guys. Somehow, over the last 3 weeks you've become close friends of mine. I'm also very isolated here on the farm and can't get out much. And I couldn't care less. This site has made me feel like I've been traveling all over the world and using my heart and mind more than I have in a very long time. It's the warmest place. I'm talking to pure hearted people (well...you know what I mean :winkc: ) from all over the world who actually care about what happens to each other. It's wonderful to be in a place with like minded people who have different traditions and points of view and great debates and arguments. Not to mention how much I've learned here. I have a new appreciation for our sangha. I should thank Brian for creating this. It's done wonders for me.
  • edited January 2006
    I agree with you Federica, I have found this site the most helpful so far in helping me begin my walk along the path. I am just curious to meet face to face on occassion with others.

But this site by far, has helped me the MOST and I APPRECIATE everything everyone here has done to help me. It's great to get varying thoughts from people all over, like you said Federica.:D
  • edited January 2006
    I have looked at a few different forums and in all honesty, this is by FAR the most informative, effective, thought provoking, humourous, and intersting!!

I look forward to signing on and 'seeing' you all!