Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Demonology and Buddhism? Connection?

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited June 2011 in Philosophy
Traditionally, Buddhism affirms the existence of hells[37] peopled by demons who torment sinners and tempt mortals to sin, or who seek to thwart their enlightenment, with a demon named Mara as chief tempter, "prince of darkness," or "Evil One" in Sanskrit sources.[38][39]
The followers of Mara were also called mara, the devils, and are frequently cited as a cause of disease or representations of mental obstructions.[39] The mara became fully assimilated into the Chinese worldview, and were called mo.

The idea of the imminent decline and collapse of the Buddhist religion amid a "great cacophony of demonic influences" was already a significant component of Buddhism when it reached China in the first century C.E., according to Michel Strickmann.[39] Demonic forces had attained enormous power in the world. For some writers of the time this state of affairs had been ordained to serve the higher purpose of effecting a "preliminary cleansing" that would purge and purify humanity in preparation for an ultimate, messianic renewal.[39]
Medieval Chinese Buddhist demonology was heavily influenced by Indian Buddhism. Indian demonology is also fully and systematically described in written sources, though during Buddhism's millennium of direct influence in China, "Chinese demonology was whipped into respectable shape," with a number of Indian demons finding permanent niches even in Taoist ritual texts.[39]

http://www.religiousdemonology.com/
http://www.sacred-texts.com/pag/kjd/kjd04.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demonology

Comments

• even with the 31 planes of existance... there's not much emphasis on any type of being.

also, demonology and demonolatry are different.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    even with the 31 planes of existance... there's not much emphasis on any type of being.

also, demonology and demonolatry are different.
    How are they different?
    Thanks for commenting!
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Demonology believes that there are spiritual beings that exist that are pure evil and only want to cause harm. Buddhism instead says that these beings can be dealt with just by being compassionate with them, accepting them, or even ignoring them by not being afraid and just going on with your life.

I've studied demonology because I met a few people who had a genuine incubus and succubus and that fascinated me to no end, so I learned a lot from that field. I got into learning how to summon spirits, and rid of them if needed. Learned a lot of interesting things, and of course I learned that they're for sure real.

But something else I learned is that they aren't as bad as demonology says they are. Of course you can be hurt. While I was trying to learn how to rid of them I got some significant bruises on both arms, so I learned from that. But in the end I realized my ex girlfriend was more mean than any demon I'd ever meet. So really to me demons are no worse than the gangsters outside. You give them a little bit of respect, space and don't show fear and most of the time they won't mess with you.
    Demonology believes that there are spiritual beings that exist that are pure evil and only want to cause harm. Buddhism instead says that these beings can be dealt with just by being compassionate with them, accepting them, or even ignoring them by not being afraid and just going on with your life.

I've studied demonology because I met a few people who had a genuine incubus and succubus and that fascinated me to no end, so I learned a lot from that field. I got into learning how to summon spirits, and rid of them if needed. Learned a lot of interesting things, and of course I learned that they're for sure real.

But something else I learned is that they aren't as bad as demonology says they are. Of course you can be hurt. While I was trying to learn how to rid of them I got some significant bruises on both arms, so I learned from that. But in the end I realized my ex girlfriend was more mean than any demon I'd ever meet. So really to me demons are no worse than the gangsters outside. You give them a little bit of respect, space and don't show fear and most of the time they won't mess with you.
    I really liked this comment!
    Thank you!
    I can relate to a lot of what you have said and have similar experiences.
    Thanks again!
  • Do you think that this world is heavily influenced by the negative forces? Vices seem to be more dominate than virtues these days.
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Do you think that this world is heavily influenced by the negative forces? Vices seem to be more dominate than virtues these days.
    I believe spirits can have an influence on our minds and lives only sometimes. I've known men and women who had sexual spirits that said they no longer had a desire to make a sexual relationship with humans after having a succubus for so long. To me that makes no sense, but their minds were very strongly affected by the spirit in that case.

If one thinks they have a spirit around them affecting them in a negative way they have to instead give it good energy and, or pretend it is not there. Because the more afraid you are, the more negative you're that will continue to pile on the shit and they eat that negative energy and may try to do things to make more of it.
  • If one thinks they have a spirit around them affecting them in a negative way they have to instead give it good energy and, or pretend it is not there. Because the more afraid you are, the more negative you're that will continue to pile on the shit and they eat that negative energy and may try to do things to make more of it.
    I think that there might be something to that, Mr Serenity. I've heard other people talk about spirits attaching themselves to people so that they could enjoy physical sensations. Smoking, drinking, eating, etc. If the person is passive enough or not rooted in a good discipline, the spirit might be able to become more dominate. Not like a possession, but sort of like a parasite.

I'm not sure about this and I don't want to find out! :p
    Do you think that this world is heavily influenced by the negative forces? Vices seem to be more dominate than virtues these days.
    yes and no.
    It really does depend on the individual.

I think that there might be something to that, Mr Serenity. I've heard other people talk about spirits attaching themselves to people so that they could enjoy physical sensations. Smoking, drinking, eating, etc. If the person is passive enough or not rooted in a good discipline, the spirit might be able to become more dominate. Not like a possession, but sort of like a parasite.

I'm not sure about this and I don't want to find out! :p

That is interesting! And makes a lot of sense.
    From experience I can relate.

• That is interesting! And makes a lot of sense. From experience I can relate.
    So-o-o ...care to share your experience, Leon?
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited June 2011
    @LeonBasin

demonology studies demons as another type of being (nothing inherently wrong about it), demonolatry means being at service of demons. both are very different.

I acknowledge asura's... they are not really that special; if you encounter one (in its weak state, since it will be trying to influence other "planes" instead on their native "home") just be fearless and don't let your awareness/mindfulness slip away when in such presence.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    :)
  • But in the end I realized my ex girlfriend was more mean than any demon I'd ever met.
    Reminds me of my ex. I think that really places it in perspective. I think we have much more to fear from other humans.