Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dealing with partner's anger.

Hi guys,
My partner (like most of us) is prone to the odd angry outburst but I am finding it increasingly difficult not to tell him to shut up and stop shouting! I don't feel jumping around and screaming at the tv will solve anything and therefore find it really difficult to listen to. He swears a lot and it really gets me down. He does this over things like injustices in the world - we live in Spain and there are currently a lot of political protests and things like that and I understand that these are big issues (he's not like this when he can't find his left shoe or something!!) but this RAGE that I see is very difficult for me. I am working hard at controlling my own anger (I would be a bit of a shouter!) and am wondering if it is seeing something in him that I recognise in myself which makes it more difficult for me to put up with. Basically I am wondering what I can do to help him feel better or to at least stop letting his outbursts (none of which are directed at me or anything) easier to deal with. I can feel myelf getting angry with him when he's angry but I can control it and generally walk away and do 3 deep breaths then come back. He doesn't even do it to get my attention, I'm fairly sure he'd do it if he was alone.
Ok, hope that all makes sense! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
x

Comments

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    The antidote to Anger is patience. This is a mind that accepts the current situation.
    In order to train in patience it is wise to train in mindfulness meditation this can be done by just sitting and trying to focus your mind on a object ( usually the breathe for beginners) and practise alertness everytime you recognise the mind wandering from its object you practise bringing it back, like having a dog on a chock chain so that everytime the mind gets out of control you can firmly bring it back to a relative calm state. Becoming familiar with such we apply the techinque to daily life so that when situations where we could become disturbed arise we watch the mind and make a determination to practise patience, so when we recognise the mind coming close to anger by it becoming aggitated and so on we mentally resolve to accept the situation and remain focused on keeping our peace of mind.
    The only way to help others is by demonstrating that you are capable of doing it yourself after all patience is a happy mind because when it is fully developed nothing can ever disturb our mental peace and happiness.
  • "Honey, I'm here to talk if you ever need to. But sometimes your shouting and swearing kind of bothers me and sometimes even scares me."
  • There is a very effective book that teaches how to deal with anger. The name of the book is Love Without Hurt - Turn your resentful, angry or emotionally abusive relationship into a compassionate, loving one. The author is Steven Stosny.

It could save your marriage.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    Have you considered bringing your feelings to his attention? Have you said words to him like your message to us? What did he say?

If it is a behavior he can tame, it would be better for him. If he has no interest, perhaps get some ear plugs or move on.
  • I think compassion and loving kindness can help you to deal with these situations.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BuddhistSocietyWA#p/u/63/OswcrsyGQN0
  • Marshall Rosenberg's Center for Nonviolent Communication: www.cnvc.org