Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Jesus and Buddha were teaching the same message

2»

Comments

• edited February 2006
    But we can't prove they existed at different times, or existed at all :)
    - Just bored, had to point that out ;)
  • edited February 2006
    Actually we can in the case of the Buddha, as he was mentioned by independant sources and there is archaelogical evidence for his existence. For Jesus on the other hand that would be much more difficult, there are no creditable, independant first hand accounts and no real archeological evidence.
  • edited February 2006
    Thats good to know. However, to tell you the truth, the Buddha's existence (or lack thereof) doesnt worry me at all. I'm more worried about my condition on earth (ignorance, ego..etc) and finding a way to gain wisdom, insight, and right Understanding.

Thankfully, the Dhamma, does exist, so I have hope.

On a side note, where I currently live, is considered to be a country the Buddha visited in his lifetime, and as such there is quite a large amount of evidence he did existed....

By the way, its nice to be here, and its an honor to speak with all of you. You are all clearly intelligent gifted people, and I am learning by being here and listening to all of you speak...
  • edited February 2006
    Hello,

I am a Christian and a Buddhist as well. My pastor told me to search for the Light from within, he also told me that Buddha and Jesus taught same the message. You know modern day Christianity is somewhat materialistic and most people do not understand the meaning of what Jesus taught.

What I am trying to get at is sometime you would see bad pastors out there taking money and promise you a place in heaven after you die. My pastor said that the body can not be resurrected, what is being resurrected is the Spirit and its Communion with the Divine.

I asked my pastor how to seek this Light, he told me to try meditation down the Valley Creek that is about couple hundred miles from here. I met some nice folks there, but most of them only meditate to find inner peace, whatever that means, I was excited to try the breathing in and the breathing out. So after a few years of meditation of breathing in and breathing out, I was at peace at first, but the external world always get on your nerve and you would start to get angry if someone disturbed your peace. So I approached a Buddhist master and he taught me the meditation to transcend reality and Samsara.

All and all, I think you can combine the two religions, put your guns away and share what we can benefit one another. Bring the Light into Buddhism, forget the No-soul theory. My pastor and Buddhist master are best friend now, because we listen with our hearts, not with our heads.

Hallelujah
    M Bolden
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2006
    M Bolden,

That is a very interesting story. Some very interesting points that you've made and it sounds like your pastor is not one that is caught up in the "I can't think for myself" syndrome.

Although, I can't come to terms with everything you've said, obviously it seems to be working very well for you. I wish you peace on your journey.

-bf
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2006
    "Jesus is synonymous with this Light that is being described in the Gospel, he is not the flesh."
    M Bolden wrote:
    My pastor told me to search for the Light from within, he also told me that Buddha and Jesus taught same the message. You know modern day Christianity is somewhat materialistic and most people do not understand the meaning of what Jesus taught.

What I am trying to get at is sometime you would see bad pastors out there taking money and promise you a place in heaven after you die. My pastor said that the body can not be resurrected, what is being resurrected is the Spirit and its Communion with the Divine.
    Embolden, I have enjoyed your posts so much.

You sound like a Cathar, a Unitarian, a Quaker, or a Buddhist.

You might wish to do a Google search on any of these.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Cathars, who were all wiped out by the fourteenth century, basically believed that the mainstream Catholic church was corrupted by materialism and compromised by worldly pursuits. They were very interesting people and very devout latter-day Manichees. They believed that the flesh was corrupt and that only the spirit (or the light, as you call it) merited salvation. Therefore, they thought the idea of the Holy Eucharist wicked, as it dealt with the flesh. For the Cathar, the Bread of Communion represented the Word, not the flesh (body) of Christ. Being dualists, they believed the Bad God created matter and the Good God created the Spirit. They thought the established church was a force of darkness.

Emerson and the Unitarians: There came a time when Emerson, a one-time ordained Unitarian minister, refused to celebrate the Lord's Supper. He wrote all about this in his The Lord's Supper Address:
    http://www.emersoncentral.com/lordsupper.htm
    See also his Divinity School Address:
    http://www.emersoncentral.com/divaddr.htm
    NOTE: Emerson & Thoreau were both heavily influenced by oriental religions.

You can Google more on the Quakers.

As for the Buddhists, you can't go far wrong...

Welcome,

Nirvana .............................................EDIT: Getting the URLs right

I've noticed NB logging me out sometimes - but not at others. Don't know why that is.

I just use it for a lesson - things are sometimes what they seem - and at other times... not.

Just think of being "logged in" as another sign of impermanence...

-buddhafoot
  • catweaselcatweasel Explorer
    edited February 2006
    i live in the heart of the Cathar. The inquistion was invented for them.