Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Bhagavad Gita: You Are Not Your Mind

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited June 2011 in Philosophy
Have you ever wondered about why your mind works the way it does, and how it comes up with all of its scattered, random and half-organized thoughts? Where are all of these thoughts coming from, and what's the reason they are there? Many of our thoughts originate from experiences we've had in the past, but the mind will also come up with dreamlike scenarios about events that have yet to take place in our lives.

We will find ourselves in a scenario for a future event, and we will be fully imagining the experience of what it would be like to live in that scenario. Some of these situations can be pleasant, while others are very nightmarish.

We've all had experiences where we can be eating, sleeping, walking down the street, studying, working, listening to music or even engaging in a conversation with someone else, and the mind will begin to drift away to somewhere else. We didn't consciously decide to let the mind wander, but it did. It just left us standing there talking to someone while it decided to go away for a while. This happens all the time!

This happens for prolonged durations during the dreaming state. Our dreams often seem so vivid and detailed, but they weren't our conscious creations. The mind conjures them up and gets very creative. This brings me to that statement Morpheus makes to Neo in "The Matrix":

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gadadhara-pandit-dasa/you-are-not-your-mind_b_876982.html

Comments

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    interesting article. have you seen the movie Inception, @LeonBasin? it has a lot of little tidbits about the mind and the way it works at a subconscious level mixed in with it (although, don't assume it is based on a true story, lol). i thought it was a very interesting movie.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    interesting article. have you seen the movie Inception, @LeonBasin? it has a lot of little tidbits about the mind and the way it works at a subconscious level mixed in with it (although, don't assume it is based on a true story, lol). i thought it was a very interesting movie.
    Yup!
    I have seen the movie and loved it.
    I wonder if their is a book out there:)
    I think it's possible:)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Its the nature to diffuse and focus. Like you have a realization WHAM and then you try to grasp that realization but it is diffusing. That is emptiness. Spacious.

If not for that quality of mind it would be impossible to realize you were 'thinking' and come back to the breath. In meditation.