Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

No Mind - Thought Stopping

edited June 2011 in Philosophy
I remember reading in a book by Thich Naht Hanh that the Buddha talked about trying to use the mind to "stop" the mind/thoughts, but that this way was not productive/the right way. I understand concentrating on something to become more centered and to clear your mind but what did he talk about physically stopping thoughts from entering the mind. thanks

Comments

• It's not hard to pause from thoughts. They key is "focusing". The greater and longer the focus the less thoughts and clinging to thoughts.

metta
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited June 2011
    koan work or asking big questions such as who am i?
    you use concepts to point awareness to silence or the gaps between thoughts.

so you use the mind to get to no mind. it's not that the mind stops. you just notice the gaps between thought and no thought. then eventually bringing consciousness back on itself.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited June 2011
    I remember reading in a book by Thich Naht Hanh that the Buddha talked about trying to use the mind to "stop" the mind/thoughts, but that this way was not productive/the right way.
    Thich Naht Hanh generally talks to his audience. Thich Naht Hanh believes notions such as one can love their anger. If one could actually love then anger would not arise in the first place.

My advice is you are taking Thich Naht Hanh too seriously. How can one take anyone seriously who criticises what the Buddha taught?

If you have the ability to stop your thoughts then stop your thoughts.

If your thoughts overwhelm your mind and you cannot stop them then follow Thich Naht Hanh's advice and just patiently accept them until they lose their energy.

But if we can stop our thoughts and develop clear samadhi, this is the best path.

Best wishes :)