Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

extreme creativity after meditation

AMHAMH
edited June 2011 in Meditation
I am fairly new here, I noticed in a discussion that there are other writers so maybe this will be something others can relate to. I have huge creative bursts after meditation at times. The more I really get my mind to quiet and the more that it is effortless then the more this happens. I came out of a short meditation one day with a complete plotted novel in my head, character, setting, etc. This is not the first time it has happened.

Okay the only real problem with this is that in my everyday life there is almost no time (but much desire) to work on these ideas. The details are not that important and besides when I share the details I get a lot of feedback on how to do everything different, that is still me trying to handle this all alone and honestly what would help would be more help rather than more advice. I am doing what is possible.

So when I have found I actually am watching how much meditation I do because of the frustration in not being able to get to the writing work that comes out of it. I have a deep feeling that I could write these stories and that is a very good purpose for myself, meanwhile I am very far behind on the practical stuff despite keeping it simple. It is not the feeling of frustration from outside or ego, but more that I have something I need to do and am capable of yet cannot seem to get there.

Thank you for listening

Comments

• try to write in your free time.

I think it is common that meditation boosts creativity.
  • First let me say, my congratulations to you, AHeerdt. It sounds like your meditation has reached a level of insight meditation, which can cause these sorts of things to come into being. So that you understand, your physical response is a natural one that can come about so don't be dismayed by it but in a bizarre sort of way, relish it. It means you are making progress.

Now as to the frustrating lack of progress in recording these thoughts that could be said to "hit you like a tidal wave", That is what would be termed as an energetic state and is how I can say with confidence that you are making progress. I know this because I have been in the same position.

Finally on a slightly unrelated note, I have found when I had numerous ideas strike at once, it was always handy to have a miniature tape recorder or digital voice recorder to dictate into so that at least the thoughts would not be lost enirely even if they did get "back-logged" somewhat because of a lack of time. Granted, I don't know how busy you are but voice recordings tended for me to be a little faster and would let me get on with my day. This assumes, of course, a recorder would be of value to you in this matter and is within your financial means.

At any rate, please don't let a rush of ideas be the cause to slow or halt your meditation practice. That would be a true pity.

My best wishes to you,
    Nanimo :om:
  • upekkaupekka Veteran

it was always handy to have a miniature tape recorder or digital voice recorder to dictate into so that at least the thoughts would not be lost enirely even if they did get "back-logged" somewhat because of a lack of time. Granted, I don't know how busy you are but voice recordings tended for me to be a little faster and would let me get on with my day. This assumes, of course, a recorder would be of value to you in this matter and is within your financial means.

or
    use a pen and paper and jot down the main points
    then you can use them later when you have enough time to write

At any rate, please don't let a rush of ideas be the cause to slow or halt your meditation practice. That would be a true pity.

true again

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Its ok to let these ideas go. Too. When they are needed you will make time. I think.
  • Thank you all, I have found that the first ones from many years ago are still with me and vibrant so I do not feel afraid to let them go for now, but I still just want to make it happen more now.

Free time, I don't have that. I get meditation once a day at abotu 20 minutes and many days even that doesn't happen. The details aren't that important except that I work 7 days a week so I do not have the typical weekends off and that I am raising 3 kids on my own. Dad is around but not good for them to be around. I am working on changing the overall situation one baby step at a time, and then life acts like life and there is a setback.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran

Free time, I don't have that.
    really?

but no doubt you have time to breath in and out

:)
  • One of my spiritual teachers mentioned a scientific study where it showed that meditation actually increased brain mass (I forgot the exact way he explained it, as it was more complex than that). And depression actually decreased it. So that can explain the influx of creative tenancies after meditation.

Creativity is also linked to the libido chakra, and when people are depressed often times their libido decreases a lot. So meditation is like creation for the mind, and depression is destruction.
  • yes, I will admit that there is probably some way to readjust and have writing time. It may be at the expense of relationships that are valuable to me or other activities I feel support my writing. At this point I amd finding it very difficult, not in a whiny way but in a realistic way, to find more than a couple minutes here and there to check email or post here or dress a little nice for work. I have had some things come up with my children that require weekly appointments, and the writing projects are at the stage to need focused, regular and significant time.