Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddha 1000 years older?

thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
edited July 2011 in Arts & Writings
This is interesting. Two King Ashokas? Buddha born 1800 BC not 500 BC?

http://19000years.blogspot.com/2011/02/buddhism-history-timeline-4000-years.html

Here is a more detailed Article:

http://www.boloji.com/index.cfm?md=Content&sd=Articles&ArticleID=694

Comments

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Thanks for this!
  • @LeonBasin

I will need a lot more to be sold, but a fascinating notion!
  • I will need a lot more to be sold too, and it is interesting to think about, but it doesn't change the Buddhist message in the least. It seems the first blog mentioned is just sourcing from the second blog mentioned, so until mainstream historians start to agree on it, I don't see much convincing evidence.

Interesting, but it doesn't change the Buddhist message.
  • Interesting, but it doesn't change the Buddhist message.
    Sure. I mean, if there was 100% certain evidence that there was no Buddha and that the whole thing was a joke, it wouldn't change the Buddha's message.

Dharma is Dharma.
  • ...He was someone who wanted to ensure that Buddhism spread all across the globe. In Bengal, one follower of Mahavira drew a picture showing Buddha bowing at the feet of Mahavira. Ashoka came to know about this and ordered that all Mahavira followers at that place be executed – 1800 of them were slain in a single day! He decreed in a similar manner on another occasion, promising gold to those who brought slain heads of non-Buddhists...

You may dress a King in a monk's robe, but he remains a King. As true today as it was a thousand or two thousand years ago, whichever one it is.
  • Thickpaper, I'm always up for historical notes on the Buddha, but the 2nd article is really poorly written. It's a little hard to follow. There must be more material on this somewhere, a scholarly paper, or something?
  • Thickpaper, I'm always up for historical notes on the Buddha, but the 2nd article is really poorly written. It's a little hard to follow. There must be more material on this somewhere, a scholarly paper, or something?
    I just stumbled upon it this moring, so neg-bombs, nein danke:) if you find more , let me know.

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    @LeonBasin

I posted this on my Facebook and I had someone comment and tell me that he has been seeing this in a few other places. Was trying to see if he could provide the links, if he does I will post them here. This is really interesting.
  • @LeonBasin

I posted this on my Facebook and I had someone comment and tell me that he has been seeing this in a few other places. Was trying to see if he could provide the links, if he does I will post them here. This is really interesting.
    I guess its not very groovy for those into "lineages of the budhha" and all that jazz. But its an interesting notion for sure.

It would also be very relevant to those who have found dharma in the thinking of the ancient greeks and the abrahmics (The Talmud, as I am starting to find, flows with dharma)

Oh to live in interesting times!