Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Can anyone identify the being ...

edited July 2011 in Faith & Religion
... in this photo? My wife found this for me, but I do not know if it is a particular bodhisattva or deity or the Buddha himself. I know only a little about mudras, so any information on the mudras in this image would be appreciated, too. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    It's a simple depiction or image of the Buddha. I have three like it. The Mudra, as far as I can remember, depicts openness and acceptance, receiving what comes....(The Mudras on mine are different)
  • To me it looks like "just" a Shakyamuni Buddha. And I agree with Fed that it may be an openness mudra, but I myself see no real mudra at all.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    the hand on the knee is a 'resting in' mudra? Half of a touching the earth mudra and the other half an openness mudra. Earth and sky?
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    This is the Buddha after his enlightened. You know the whole defeating Mara, which is only his mind. The Buddha with his hand touches the ground and saying something like the Earth is my witness to my awakening or something like that.
  • Thanks for your help, everyone.
  • @taiyaki- this feels to me like I'm quibbling, but I looked specifically for a hand touching the ground and neither hand is. And usually it's the right hand that's touching the ground. Again, I feel almost like I'm quibbling, but I've never seen a Shakyamuni with his hands in those positions. Maybe it's a "generic".
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Milarepa is depicted with both hands on knee. Its called resting the mind or touching the earth mudra alternately.
  • @SherabDorje ... You are correct; neither hand is actually touching the ground. I think this probably is a generic Buddha depiction. It came from a knick-knack store, after all. I love it for what it is, because my wife got it for me.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Then your wife is the Buddha in you, and you are the Buddha in her, and it's a Bhuddaful way to be.....
  • @SherabDorje ... You are correct; neither hand is actually touching the ground. I think this probably is a generic Buddha depiction. It came from a knick-knack store, after all. I love it for what it is, because my wife got it for me.
    Life doesn't get much better than that.

True dat.

I treasure my Buddhas, for what they represent to me. And three or four of them, my husband bought for me, so yeah, I can equate with their significance.

:)
  • Yep. My wife is a good one. The Buddha sits in the corner of a small patio garden we put together this spring. It's a nice place to sit, as long as you use something to keep the mosquitoes at bay.