Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is a good artist or compilation of instrumental and relaxing music for meditation?

snGussnGus Veteran
edited July 2011 in Meditation
i'm looking for this kind of material but all i found so far is low tempo and ambient electro. i'd like something more natural. thx

Comments

• YishaiYishai Veteran
    I like Imee Ooi. She has some good stuff. I just listen to her stuff to relax.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Michael Hedges is good to listen to before meditation. I don't listen to music during.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    http://www.symbiosis-music.com/peach_tree_spring.html

All their music is lovely, soothing, calming and beautiful....

I like singing along to these....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buddhist-Chants-Peace-Music-Long/dp/B0000086RH
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Tool ...and some instrumental music.
  • AmeliaAmelia Veteran
    Music and meditation don't mix for me, no matter how pretty. Defeats the purpose.
  • AmeliaAmelia Veteran
    ...the purposeless purpose.
  • mithrilmithril Veteran
    Music is a distraction. So there is no music that is good for meditation. Or all music is...
  • snGussnGus Veteran
    Well as many of you might have noticed I am new to Buddhism (the only religion that makes sense to me and that I follow on my own will) and still have not reached the knowledge needed to meditate. But I'm aware that meditation is related to Buddhism and my actual purpose with this thread is to know about music that I can listen to while studying the Buddhist teachings or simply relaxing, but that are also related to Buddhism. I mean, I want to get into a special feeling by building a special atmosphere and the kind of music I'm asking for is the one I need, if I managed to be clear enough about what I'm looking for.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    There isn't too much 'buddhist music'... There are surely buddhists who have been musicians, just as there have been calligraphers, painters, poets and so forth..

I would listen to some music that YOU find relaxing. Michael hedges is some relaxing guitar music that I find quite appealing. John Abercrombie is a jazz musician I like.
  • have you tried with Tool? (some songs)
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited July 2011
    There are many different kinds of calming music available, it just depends on what you're looking for. Among my "new age" music I like Jonathan Goldman, very nice relaxing stuff. You can download it from iTunes or Amazon.
  • I've discovered some "eclectic" music by a woman named Sarah Patterson called White Tara, a complete CD. There is very beautiful singing, some Tibetan-sounding chanting that is much more bearable than actual Tibetan chanting, some North-Indian sounding cuts, and even a little Gaelic thrown in. It really is beautiful music, and, as far as I know, is actual devotional music to White Tara.

The production company is apparently very closely associated with that female Tulku in Maryland that it appears Palzang (an old-timer on the board) is associated with. This woman is an Italian-American woman from Brooklyn but her name escapes me at the moment. My impression of the whole scenario is good, and that brings me back to the topic of the CD, which I think is also quite good.

I think if you Google something like "female tulku Maryland" that should take you to the main site, and I'm pretty sure there's a link to the production company that made this CD. The last time I looked, the female tulku herself was interested in recording some music herself- so IMO it's something you should check out. I used to listen to it before I went to bed a lot, and it would make good music for direct listening and good music for ambiance too.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Sigur Rose is a kinda cool electronica music that is relaxing. They invented a whole language, sounds like whale sounds.
  • AmeliaAmelia Veteran
    ...I am new to Buddhism... and still have not reached the knowledge needed to meditate...
    There is no knowledge needed to sit.
    ...I want to get into a special feeling by building a special atmosphere...
    To me, Buddhism isn't about building a special atmosphere around oneself-- it is about being able to face all the ugly atmospheres of the world with serenity.

As for the music-- listen to whatever you like-- heavy screaming rap, if that happens to be your taste. Listening to "Buddhist music" does not make the Buddhist.

Though, I don't know if "heavy screaming rap" is a genre. :rocker:
  • @SherabDorje You're thinking of Jetsunma Akhon Lhamo.

I would highly recommend Ani Choying Drolma if you're into mantra meditations.

• edited July 2011
    Grateful for all yours recommendations are wonderfully natural, warming and lovely :thumbsup:
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Sea energy you are always such good energy love peace amitabha :thumbup:
  • not for meditation. but a track that relaxes for sure. for those interested in good old fashioned sampling in hip hop.

• Music before or during meditation is not a good idea.