Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Da Vinci Code movie trailer

edited February 2006 in General Banter
The Da Vinci Code movie trailer

Wow, this looks like it's going to be a fantastic film!! I love the cinematography in this trailer:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/da_vinci_code/

I need to read the book and finally bought the special illustrated version. I watched a documentary on the Discovery channel a while back about it and was absolutely fascinated by the whole thing!

I remember seeing a discussion at another forum about the book, and several people commented that they couldn't picture Tom Hanks in the role. They thought he might be too clean cut for the role and felt that Russell Crowe or Harrison Ford would have been a better choice. But after viewing the trailer, they all agreed that Tom Hanks really looked the part. They also had trouble recognizing him at first, and one of them said, "He looks a bit darker ... sorta the moody professer (which is the part) that has a few girls secretly in love with him..."

I had trouble recognizing him at first too. I think he's going to be very good in this role. His co-star is Audrey Tautou from "Amelie." I loved her in "Amelie," and from the scenes in this trailer, I think she will be good for the part. Although, I heard that the woman in the book was supposed to have red hair.

I just loved the cinematography and all the tones and shadings of the film -- at least, from what was shown in the trailer. Really beautiful. I was watching some movie trailers from other upcoming films, and none of them even compared to this one.

Has anyone here read the book? If so, what are your thoughts on it? From what I understand (albeit a very limited understanding, since I haven't read the book yet), the book asserts that Mary Magdelene was Jesus' wife and closest disciple, and that they had a child together. And something I never noticed before is that in the painting, "The Last Supper", there is a WOMAN seated next to Jesus, and according to the book, that is supposedly Mary Magdelene. I used to know a Christian minister (a theologian with two Ph.Ds) who told me that there were two female apostles back then, but that the church changed their names so that they would sound male instead of female. I think they were known as Antonia and Junia (or something like that) and the church changed the names to Antonio and Junio to sound masculine, so this doesn't surprise me at all.

danceline9uq.gif

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2006
    I would put in a quiet plea not to discuss this book or film here. It just encourages the nonsense.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    The book is total fiction... Even the author admitted it on a BBC radio 4 Book programme, many months ago!
    Don't get drawn into the hype everyone! Next, you'll be telling me you believe the Biblical creation fantasy over Darwin's theory....!! I mean ter say...!!:D
  • edited January 2006
    One of the girls I work with was an extra in the film so I'll have to go and see it just so that I can spot her, otherwise she'll get upset ! Also if Audrey's in it that's all the incentive I need !
    Surprisingly I don't know much about the book but a friend has loaned me his copy so that I can see what all the fuss is about. At the end of the day it's a just a novel.

Sorry Simon for carrying the thread on :)
  • edited January 2006
    Wow, I had no idea posting about this movie would push buttons like this. Sorry, everyone! It's just a movie, and it's supposed to be a really good one, at that. Even my Catholic friends who consider the movie's subject matter to be "blasphemous" can't wait to see the movie, because they know it's just a movie and look forward to its artistic values. I truly had no idea there were people who had a problem with this subject. At other forums, it's quite a good discussion topic. But if everyone has a serious problem with this, then please delete this post. It's certainly no big deal to me, and I didn't post it to cause any problems. duno5dk.gif
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    I think the main fear from Simon is that some would actually start expounding the book and its Author as a true and authoritative documentation/expert on the subjects it touches!
    no problem!
    But I DO personally think Tom Hanks isn't right for the rôle... Brilliant as he is, I think he's a bit "over-exposed".....I have read the book, and I was thinking more Harrison Ford..... :)
    edited January 2006
    or Peter Falk!
    edited January 2006
    ...Or Joseph Ratzinger....
  • edited January 2006
    The book maybe is total 'Fiction', however it is one of the most entertaining books that I read. I don't subscribe to the wholesale ridicule or condemnation of what is a piece of clever fantasy that was written to entertain. I enjoyed the Film Braveheart and although Mel Gibson re-wrote history it still entertained me, if some 'Celt' somewhere went away with some misguided notion that this Story as with the Da Vinci Code was an accurate historical and factual representation...then the likely harm done is negligible...given that the 'Believer' probably works in McDonalds:winkc:

I look forward to the release of the Film and likewise thought the casting of Tom Hanks a little odd, however his credentials are impeccable. Satori, you have nothing to apologise about...Good Post!
  • edited January 2006
    federica wrote:
    I think the main fear from Simon is that some would actually start expounding the book and its Author as a true and authoritative documentation/expert on the subjects it touches!
    no problem!

Oh, thank goodness. Since I'm new here, I thought maybe I had stepped in something accidentally. You know how sometimes there can be contentious threads that will later be closed, and then months later someone comes along and posts about it all over again? And when they do, someone invariably says something like, "Please, don't anyone comment on this subject!" Well, that's what I was worried that Simon's post was about! I didn't see a thread about on this already, so all I could think was, Oh dear, they must have deleted it! :eekblue:

Personally, I don't think I've come across anyone who sees the book as a "real" account of anything. Of course, that's not to say that there aren't people out there who might, but it has not been my experience to encounter anyone like that. I do think the book raises some interesting questions in terms of how much the church controlled information-wise, especially in light of the abolition of reincarnation years ago -- and let's not forget the inquisition. But other than that, I don't think many people view the book as anything other than good fiction. The author himself, as well as the filmmakers, made that much clear.

Either way, I'm looking forward to reading the book and seeing the film in May. :thumbsup:
  • edited January 2006
    Abraham wrote:
    The book maybe is total 'Fiction', however it is one of the most entertaining books that I read. I don't subscribe to the wholesale ridicule or condemnation of what is a piece of clever fantasy that was written to entertain. I enjoyed the Film Braveheart and although Mel Gibson re-wrote history it still entertained me, if some 'Celt' somewhere went away with some misguided notion that this Story as with the Da Vinci Code was an accurate historical and factual representation...then the likely harm done is negligible...given that the 'Believer' probably works in McDonalds:winkc:

I look forward to the release of the Film and likewise thought the casting of Tom Hanks a little odd, however his credentials are impeccable. Satori, you have nothing to apologise about...Good Post!

Thanks, Abraham. I agree! :)
  • edited January 2006
    I read the book and loved it! Never considered it to be a true account of anything...but it was and gripping and entetaining story! The other book, Angels and Demons was good too.
  • edited January 2006
    I've heard other people say that book was good too. All I know is that viewing the movie trailer, the movie looks like it's going to be fantastic! dance022lu.gif
  • edited January 2006
    Interestingly - there was a book written much earlier (in the 80s I think) called Holy Blood, Holy Grail which postulated exactly the same theory but then went on a historical quest to try to uncover the truth. I am sure that Dan Brown has lifted most of his material from this book and dramatised it into a fictional work because, having read both, they are the same book but where one is a historical investigation and rather dry, the other is a ripping yarn. I feel a bit sorry for the authors of the original although the theory has been around for centuries, it is even offered as a reason for the Templars' somewhat bizarre rituals.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Knitwitch,

You're at it again. What is this? Are you my long lost twin? I read The Holy Blood, Holy Grail! No one ever knows the book I'm talking about when I tell them that I think The Da Vinci Code is almost exactly the same book. No one! Only you. It was a great read. I really love alternative history fiction. It's so interesting. I'd even like to read a book that's an alternative plot to a well known fiction book, like Jane Eyre for example. Like what if there had been no fire? The possibilities are endless. Oh, have I just given away a multi million dollar idea? It could be a whole new section in the bookstore, Alternative Plot Fiction.

Satori,

Don't worry, my friend. I know just how you feel. I get pretty nervous too when I think I've posted something not quite right. It's just newbie neurosis. We'll get over it eventually. And since I haven't told you before, I look forward to reading your posts. I find them not only intelligent but your tone is always so respectful of others that I find your presence to be comforting, especially in light of recent circumstances.

With love,
    Brigid
  • edited February 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    Satori,

Don't worry, my friend. I know just how you feel. I get pretty nervous too when I think I've posted something not quite right. It's just newbie neurosis. We'll get over it eventually. And since I haven't told you before, I look forward to reading your posts. I find them not only intelligent but your tone is always so respectful of others that I find your presence to be comforting, especially in light of recent circumstances.

With love,
    Brigid

Thanks, Brigid! bigthanks6hb.gif

I have been enjoying your posts as well. I especially enjoyed your intro. here: http://www.newbuddhist.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18593&postcount=283 clapping2xu.gif
  • edited February 2006
    Well bludgeon me with a bloater! You are only the second person to have read Holy Blood Holy Grail Brigid - the other was the guy who loaned it to me.

I thought, although the style was a bit hard going, it was a better book because it traced the history all the way back, looked for proof and followed it all up. I think it took the guy(s) might have been two of them about eight years to reserch it all. Will look it up and post a link or summat.

Coo - could have almost bet if anyone had read it, would be you gal!

Satori -what ARE you worrying about - you've read my posts - every one a masterpiece of insensitive rubbish - you are fine!:hiding:
    edited February 2006
    Knitwitch wrote:
    Well bludgeon me with a bloater! You are only the second person to have read Holy Blood Holy Grail Brigid - the other was the guy who loaned it to me.

I thought, although the style was a bit hard going, it was a better book because it traced the history all the way back, looked for proof and followed it all up. I think it took the guy(s) might have been two of them about eight years to reserch it all. Will look it up and post a link or summat.

Satori -what ARE you worrying about - you've read my posts - every one a masterpiece of insensitive rubbish - you are fine!:hiding:

I have to admit that I, too, have read HB&HG. The whole Rennes-le-Chateau, Merovingian, Templar, etc., thing is a bit of folklore that I have loved for years. Tie it in with the Cathars and Egypt, and you have a perfect epic "alternative history" of Europe. What I most enjoy about this body of writing is that the many authors steadfastly refuse to allow trivia such as facts spoil a good yarn.
  • edited February 2006

I have to admit that I, too, have read HB&HG. The whole Rennes-le-Chateau, Merovingian, Templar, etc., thing is a bit of folklore that I have loved for years. Tie it in with the Cathars and Egypt, and you have a perfect epic "alternative history" of Europe. What I most enjoy about this body of writing is that the many authors steadfastly refuse to allow trivia such as facts spoil a good yarn.

Admittedly Simon, they did set out with the intention of proving that the theory was right ... and ultimately failed. But to be fair, I have read lots of work on the Templars and it was suggested in them that this theory was believed by the Templars which is why they encouraged initiates to spit on the cross, it no longer having any significance. It would seem that long before the Kennedy, Princess Diana conspiracy theories, people just had to believe that there was more to a sudden death than met the eye!
  • edited February 2006
    Anyone interested can get a precis of this book here -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Blood,_Holy_Grail
    edited February 2006
    Knitwitch wrote:
    Admittedly Simon, they did set out with the intention of proving that the theory was right ... and ultimately failed. But to be fair, I have read lots of work on the Templars and it was suggested in them that this theory was believed by the Templars which is why they encouraged initiates to spit on the cross, it no longer having any significance. It would seem that long before the Kennedy, Princess Diana conspiracy theories, people just had to believe that there was more to a sudden death than met the eye!

All we need to do is prove that Kennedy was related to the Bourbon kings (Diana was anyway) and his death could be part of Jaques de Molay's curse on Philipe le Bel from the pyre in front of Notre Dame!
  • edited February 2006
    All we need to do is prove that Kennedy was related to the Bourbon kings (Diana was anyway) and his death could be part of Jaques de Molay's curse on Philipe le Bel from the pyre in front of Notre Dame!

And Dan Brown is the descendant of an illegitimate daughter of Simon de Montfort and we've got the Cathar connection and it's all tied up!

Oh I do like happy endings!
    edited February 2006
    We could shoe-horn King Arthur and Merlin in, with a side-order of Atlantis or Mu, too.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2006
    The Da Vinci Code is all true.

I don't know what you guys are talking about - but it's all true. Herman, my invisible friend, told me so. While I was having a cuppa in my Grail this morning.

-bf
    edited February 2006
    The very best books about all these conspiracies are the Illuminatus! trilogy, although just about anything by Tom Robbins comes a close second. They have a supreme merit that I could not find in The Da Vinci Code: they made me laugh.

The Illuminatus! Trilogy

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Knitwitch wrote:

LOL! It was a bit dry but I was doing my degree in history and politics at the time so actually made for some nice light reading. :)
  • edited February 2006
    The very best books about all these conspiracies are the Illuminatus! trilogy, although just about anything by Tom Robbins comes a close second. They have a supreme merit that I could not find in The Da Vinci Code: they made me laugh.

The Illuminatus! Trilogy

Better be good Simon - on the strength of your recommendation I ordered it second hand off Amazon - my profligate spend for this month :winkc:
  • edited February 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    LOL! It was a bit dry but I was doing my degree in history and politics at the time so actually made for some nice light reading. :)

LOL - know that feeling too - when I was doing Eng Lit I tried reading Winnie the Pooh as an antidote to all the heavy stuff and found myself finding deeper meanings in that too.
    edited February 2006
    Knitwitch wrote:
    LOL - know that feeling too - when I was doing Eng Lit I tried reading Winnie the Pooh as an antidote to all the heavy stuff and found myself finding deeper meanings in that too.

My final exams at uni were 12 3-hour papers, spread over 10 days. On the Saturday, in a state akin to shell-shock, a number of us 'schoolsmen' decided to go to the cinema. We sat in a half-empty cinema and watched, transfixed, The Sound of Music (this was in 1966). It is a wonderful subject for my understanding of myself that I am still deeply moved by the film!!!!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    My final exams at uni were 12 3-hour papers, spread over 10 days. On the Saturday, in a state akin to shell-shock, a number of us 'schoolsmen' decided to go to the cinema. We sat in a half-empty cinema and watched, transfixed, The Sound of Music (this was in 1966). It is a wonderful subject for my understanding of myself that I am still deeply moved by the film!!!!

WOW! Are you ever OLD! LOL! Just kidding.
    You must have been completely bowled over!
    What a perfect antidote to the mind numbing
    exams. You must have been humming the songs for weeks!
    I can only imagine what kind of experience that was.
    I wish I could go back in time just to witness it.
    You've captured my imagination, Simon.

Love,
    Brigid
    edited February 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    WOW! Are you ever OLD! LOL! Just kidding.
    You must have been completely bowled over!
    What a perfect antidote to the mind numbing
    exams. You must have been humming the songs for weeks!
    I can only imagine what kind of experience that was.
    I wish I could go back in time just to witness it.
    You've captured my imagination, Simon.

Love,
    Brigid

Let me add something to the image for you, B.:

I went with my godfather (who was also taking Schools). He brought along a number of fellow-Jesuits from Campion Hall. The seats that we were allocated (even tho' the cinema was 75% empty) were on either side of a middle-aged, middle-class lady. To either side of her were men in black with Roman collars gleaming. The best moment came when Mother Superior says to Maria that she does not love God less for loving a man. A cheer went up from the assembled clerics! the poor lady sank lower in her seat.

I was back in Oxford for hospital tests this week. First time in many, many years. The cinema has gone! And I heard myself saying at one point, to my son, "I remember when all this was fields." Now that was the moment when I realised that I must be getting old.
  • edited February 2006
    You think Simon is old???? I remember being taken to the cinema to see the Sound of Music when I was a wee girl.

We were quite poor when I was a child so going to see a film was a big treat anway, and I remember the opening scenes of Julie Andrews appearing running up over the hill singing "The Hills are Alive" - I was glued to the screen.

At that age I was also terrified of nuns - I chortled away guiltily when they sang and when the juniors produced the starter motors from the German vehicles.

It must have had quite an effect on me because last year when we were camping in Switzerland I just couldn't resist my own gallop up a hillside with a quick rendition of the Hills are Alive - followed by a ten minute coughing fit (smoking again see?)

[IMG]http://C:\Mes documents\Mes images\Austrian Trip\The Hills are alive ....jpg[/IMG][
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Simon and Knitwitch,

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!

Both of you, fabulous, just fabulous!

Simon, that's just hilarious. What were your experiences in general with the Jesuits? I've had very good experiences and enjoy their writings still. In order to avoid conflict with my Catholic father, whenever he wants to pontificate on some point of the Catholic liturgy, I always sneak the Jesuits in so we can have a two sided conversation.

Knitwitch, I've saved that picture and will cherish it. Still laughing... Just LOVE that photo. I can almost hear you singing...

Love,
    Brigid
  • edited February 2006
    Thank you Brigid, please note rather jolly handknit I'm wearing, just to prove that I really AM a knitwitch!
    edited February 2006
    [quote=Brigid.....................

Simon, that's just hilarious. What were your experiences in general with the Jesuits? I've had very good experiences and enjoy their writings still. In order to avoid conflict with my Catholic father, whenever he wants to pontificate on some point of the Catholic liturgy, I always sneak the Jesuits in so we can have a two sided conversation.

Love,
    Brigid[/quote]

I met the Jesuits when I went up to Oxford in 1963. It was a time of high excitement in the Church. Later on I got to know the Dominicans at Blackfriars. So there were more than a few opinions flying about.