Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

buddhism and me

edited March 2005 in Buddhism Basics
First of all, I'm new here and wanted to introduce myself - so hello! I am new to buddhism also and very excited about my decision to pursue a more spiritual life. Recently, I have decided to make some major changes in my life and to work on being a happy and healthy person. I am slowly building my own business as a massage therapist -a career that I feel really helps people as opposed to all of the "I'm just doing this job to make money" jobs I have held in the past. I began eating more healthy and exercising regularly about 3 months ago to improve my physical health. I have been working on being more positive in all my relationships w/ others. I just sort of discovered that there was something else missing. I have always been very interested in buddhism but everyone kind of laughed at me and said it was another of my "hippie" interests but I am still so drawn to it. I had some experience w/ religion as a child but it felt very empty and obligatory to me. I really never understood it all and as a teenager and adult have completely shyed away from any mention of god because of how uncomfortable and fake it feels to me, but buddhism feels like home. It makes sense, it works, it allows you to question and improve and learn. Isn't that what spirituality should be? I think it is so wonderful how there is no prejudice towards other religions, there is no eternal damnation, how you don't even have to be a buddist or know what it means to be a buddhist to experience its benefits. I have been reading everything I can online to gain better understanding. I was wondering if I have to pick a certain sect of buddhism because I am having trouble doing so. There is a Zen center here and that is all there is in my area. I don't know if I necessarily feel as drawn to that as I do Nichiren or Tibetan
Buddhism but I would like to have some guidance w/ my practice. Otherwise I will have no teacher and I don't know if that is okay. I have been using mala beads and chanting mantras which I really like. I was also wondering if you can only chant mantras from one sect or if you can chant anything you think feels right. I have so many questions. How did all of you decide where you fit in w/ buddhism? I am so excited to have found this site!

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited March 2005
    Amanda wrote:
    First of all, I'm new here and wanted to introduce myself - so hello! I am new to buddhism also and very excited about my decision to pursue a more spiritual life. Recently, I have decided to make some major changes in my life and to work on being a happy and healthy person. I am slowly building my own business as a massage therapist -a career that I feel really helps people as opposed to all of the "I'm just doing this job to make money" jobs I have held in the past. I began eating more healthy and exercising regularly about 3 months ago to improve my physical health. I have been working on being more positive in all my relationships w/ others. I just sort of discovered that there was something else missing.

Welcome to our little community! First of all, let me congratulate you on your positive life changes. I'm really happy to hear that you are improving various aspects of your life. That's highly motivational for the rest of us :)
    Amanda wrote:
    I have always been very interested in buddhism but everyone kind of laughed at me and said it was another of my "hippie" interests but I am still so drawn to it. I had some experience w/ religion as a child but it felt very empty and obligatory to me. I really never understood it all and as a teenager and adult have completely shyed away from any mention of god because of how uncomfortable and fake it feels to me, but buddhism feels like home. It makes sense, it works, it allows you to question and improve and learn. Isn't that what spirituality should be? I think it is so wonderful how there is no prejudice towards other religions, there is no eternal damnation, how you don't even have to be a buddist or know what it means to be a buddhist to experience its benefits. I have been reading everything I can online to gain better understanding.

That is exactly the reason I made this site. This was my experience as well. In fact, you will find that many people in our country think ridiculuous things about buddhism. I have heard it referred to variously as "paganism", a "cult", and "hare krishnas" among other things. My primary goal is to help dispel those myths and misconceptions that surround Buddhism in the western world.
    Amanda wrote:
    I was wondering if I have to pick a certain sect of buddhism because I am having trouble doing so. There is a Zen center here and that is all there is in my area. I don't know if I necessarily feel as drawn to that as I do Nichiren or Tibetan Buddhism but I would like to have some guidance w/ my practice. Otherwise I will have no teacher and I don't know if that is okay. I have been using mala beads and chanting mantras which I really like. I was also wondering if you can only chant mantras from one sect or if you can chant anything you think feels right. I have so many questions. How did all of you decide where you fit in w/ buddhism? I am so excited to have found this site!

You don't have to pick anything. Nothing is "required" of you. One of the biggest hurdles that us westerners face when starting to explore this path is the culture shock that comes with the territory. Like you, I was raised with traditional american religious rules, and I was quite shocked by the complete difference that eastern buddhists handle their traditions. I started off at a Mahayana temple (Thai tradition) because it was local to me. I still consider myself a follower of the mahayana tradition, but I no longer attend the Thai temple (it was mostly geared towards thai speakers) on a regular basis.

Just keep in mind that the ultimate goal is to let go of your attachments. Meditation is the key to this, and you can meditate in a zen center, laying down in a park, at a temple with 60 people, in your bedroom, or anywhere. So don't get too stressed out about "picking" anything. Try not to get too attached to following a tradition or keeping to strict traditional rules. One negative thing I discovered about eastern buddhism is that sometimes eastern cultures tend to "catholicize" buddhism. This is a term that I applied to the concept that sometimes easterners are more concerned with rules and traditions than they are with the actual goal. My best advice is to hang out here and read some more of the other "newcomer" stories, visit all the temples in the area that you can, and just go with whatever feels the most comfortable to you. If you are tense or embarrassed or worried at your temple (especially worrying about "am i doing it right, am I following their rules", etc.), it will be counterproductive to your search for peace.

WELCOME to our site :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2005
    dear Amanda,

Hello and welcome! :)
    I too am relatively new to this site, tho' you'd think by the amount of posts I'd been here for ages....
    I echo everything Brian has told you. The wonderful thing about Buddhism is that you can relax. Chill. Let go. The one governing factor is how you feel. My adage (and I have many, so brace yourself!) is 'If it feels good, do it; but when in doubt, don't.' You'll meet many different experiences on the way. Some will sit well with you, others won't. take it all in and accept it as part of the growing process. But above all, release,,and enjoy. :)
    make up your own mantras....chant your own thing..... an American Lama (try his books, :cool: they're very good and amusing!) Lama Surya Das suggested thet "Meditation is how Buddhists pray." Don't force anything, don't feel obliged to do anything, and have fun. Laugh. Feel free to make as many mistakes as you like! And stay with us. Nice to have you around!

( :cool: "Awakening The Buddha within", "Awakening to the Sacred" and "Awakening the Buddhist Heart." Good books, amusing and totally 'user-friendly'!)
  • edited March 2005
    Thank you so much for making me feel so comfortable here. I feel so much better knowing i don't have to pick or follow any certain rules. I definitely will continue reading and will eventually try to go into the Zen center here and see if that works for me.
  • edited March 2005
    It's good to see that many people have the same questions and concerns that I have had. I too feel that buddhism fits and makes sense to me as a way to live our everyday lives. However, I was concerned too with the rules/procedures prior to talking with more people. Now, I am still asking questions, but enjoying the journey along the way. Good to see you here.