Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What's a Kalachakra ?

edited February 2006 in Buddhism Basics
I was reading on the official-Tibetan-government-in-exile website when I came across this article:

http://www.tibet.com/NewsRoom/andhra5.htm

So I've got a question. What on earth's a Kalackakra teaching? :confused:

Comments

• edited January 2006
    One additional note: although I copied and pasted from that article, I've seen the word spelled eslewhere on the site as "Kalachakra" if that helps anyone answer my question. :)
  • edited January 2006
    Here you go, this may explain it :kalachakra intro
  • edited January 2006
    Thanks, Frizzer! I think I understand--at least, as much as I *can* understand right now! :D
  • edited January 2006
    You're all wrong of course. The Kalachakra is in fact a small marsupial that breeds in shoes.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    I understood it to be the reaction to that small inaccessible particle of hair at the back of the throat....
  • edited January 2006
    Yes, but you're just being technical. :grin:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    Hard to be technical when you're retching....!! :scratch: :D
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    "You're all wrong of course. The Kalachakra is in fact a small marsupial that breeds in shoes."

Yes, we have those in Canada. Very annoying. We Canadians are forever checking our shoes before putting them on. By the way, breeding is not the only thing they do in there. And yes, there ARE marsupials in Canada. I've dated a few.
  • edited January 2006
    LMAO! :mullet:
  • edited January 2006
    I disagree! Kalachakra is in fact a board game combining 'checkers' and 'mancala' with very ancient roots dating back to circa 200 BC! Traditional fun for the entire family!

Those thieving marsupials STOLE that name, they did! :rant:
  • edited January 2006
    They must be Canadians.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    LOL!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2006
    If I may be so bold as to actually address the original question, Kalachakra literally means "Wheel of Time". It is an ancient practice, probably much older than Buddhism itself, but adapted to Buddhism. It concerns realizing the fundamental emptiness of both time and space. It is very much associated with the Shambhala legend. The Shambhala legend is the basis of the "Shangri-La" story of a perfect society somewhere in the Himalayas. Shambhala is a perfect Buddhist society situated in a country shaped like a mandala and which has Chakravartin (Buddhist) kings known as the Rigden kings. It is prophesied that when the 25th king is in power there will be a great battle between the army of Shambhala and the army of Darkness which will result in the Darkness being defeated followed by a thousand years of peace.

The Kalachakra also includes a detailed tantric Buddhist cosmology (tantric in that each part of the external cosmology of the universe has a corresponding point in the internal cosmology of the practitioner).

The Dalai Lama and other high lamas regularly give Kalachakra empowerments in large public gatherings. This is mainly given as a blessing. To actually practice the Kalachakra tantras requires much more training and empowerment.

Palzang
  • edited January 2006
    See, marsupials like I said.
  • edited January 2006
    What is this empowerment that the Dalai Llama gives? What is it for? It seems kind of contrary to the idea that everything in Buddhism is arising from your own mind/investigation of your mind/etc. I am very curious about this topic, and tantra in general, because I have not yet seen a lot of writings on it. I am wondering why the Dalai Llama is involved in particular?

Thanks!
    Pandy
  • edited January 2006
  • edited February 2006
    Very interesting read! Thank you, Zenmonk. I'm not entirely finished with it yet, but when I am, I may have some additional questions for the thread.

Just as a note to an administrator: could the title of this topic possibly be changed to be spelled as "Kalachakra" rather than "Kalackakra"? I think this will assist others in future searches on this topic. Thank you.
    edited February 2006
    Consider it done :)

(... I still have this annoying fragment of mohair at the back of my throat though.....*Hack hack!!*)
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2006
    That's odd - I thought it was a US breakfast cereal...

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    HEY! How'd you DO that?
  • edited February 2006
    According to Top Gear it is the replacement for the MX5.

Apparently comes in a metalic MANGO finish if you purchase to order the limited Edition.

Vrrrrooom

HH
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Do what?

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    That's odd - I thought it was a US breakfast cereal...

-bf

Brigid..I am guessing it was done with either MS Paint or some sort of photoshop editor! However it was done, it is funny stuff!