Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tattoo Ideas

edited July 2011 in General Banter
I have been thinking about getting Buddhism-related tattoos for almost a year now. The one I am definitely leaning towards is getting "Anicca, Dukkha, Anitta" on my right inner-wrist. I want it there as a reminder, not to "show off" or anything. I feel that these three ideas are core teachings of Buddhism and I dislike how often they slip my mind. The second tattoo I was thinking about is a small "Dharma Wheel" on my left inner-wrist area. This would probably be a cross between these two pictures
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_bfe_Pji6A0E/TCrFh5gkyLI/AAAAAAAAK6I/EPxShe0jW7o/s1600/dharma_wheel_1.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/archive/d/df/20060721085301!Dharma_Wheel.svg

I would use the overall design of the first one but incorporate the center part of the second one as a reference to the Three Jewels. I originally found the first design on the back of the book "The Teaching of Buddha" by Bukkyo Dendo Kyokai which is a very informative Bible-esque book found (according to the first page) in many hotel rooms and similar areas.

Anyways... I want the Dharma Wheel for the symbolism behind it - The Eightfold Path, Mindfulness, meditation, and the Three Jewels. I also want it visible as a reminder. I know many people say you should put a tattoo in a place where you can easily conceal it, but I don't want to. I feel that I shouldn't have any problems getting a job with religious tattoos (I highly doubt anyone would get turned down for a Christian cross being in the same spot.. I guess it may be different with another religion because Americans are mostly Christian).

I've seen pictures of monks with both Sutras and Dharma Wheels tattooed upon their bodies, but I still want to make sure that neither of these tattoos would be seen as offensive in the eyes of other Buddhists. While I want these reminders for myself, I know that their location will be highly visible, and I want to be mindful and respectful about it.