Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dealing with anger/ irritation...

edited January 2006 in Buddhism Basics
how do you guys do it? I am having a hard time today with various things going on and it is causing me to be quite frustrated, stressed, agitated, etc. I really need to work on this and could use some suggestions. Thank you.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    L4A...
    You and me both.

I have been angry, irritable and upset this week.
    I have let things get to me, and I have let my bitterness get the better of my tongue.
    So do you know the only thing I can do to get myself back on track?

Nothing.

I sit, quietly, and let the peace of a silent moment with myself sink into my centre. I let the whole thing replay in my head... without a single syllable of commentary.
    No "I should have said this"...
    or
    "I shouldn't have done that".....

Just look at it.
    Accept it.
    Experience it.
    Notice it.
    Then take a really deep breath....
    (No, I mean a really, really deeeeeep breath)
    .... Hold it.....

And let it go with a really loud swoosh.
    As many times as you need to blow the crud out of your system.
    Then shake your shoulders, and don't carry it around.
    The only burdened one is you.

Love yourself enough to refuse to carry it around. It's not your duty to do so.
    It's your duty to be good to yourself, so do it.

By the way...
    It's the week of a full moon (tonight is the night of it...) so the phases are very influential... It's not unusual for people to feel crabby at this time....
  • edited January 2006
    Well what I try and do is take a second to find where this anger or irritation is coming from.

Here's an example:

I'm on my way to work and someone is driving in front of me and they're holding me up.
    I start getting irritated and can feel myself getting stressed out.
    I then pause and ask myself why I'm getting annoyed with this person. Maybe they are going slower than me because they've been working nights and are on they're way home. Maybe they have only just passed their test and are nervous. Maybe they've recently had an accident and once again are nervous. Maybe if I hadn't overslept I wouldn't be in so much of a hurry!!
    Invariably I come to the conclusion that it's my fault I'm getting stressed and not this other person and this helps dissipate the feeling.

It may not work in every situation but I've found being mindful and examining the source of the irritation invariably causes it to go away, or at the very least lets me understand it a bit better.
  • edited January 2006
    It's not unusual for people to feel crabby at this time....

A likely story...:)
  • edited January 2006
    it's got to be the moon then, the last couple days is when it really started settling in. I just took a couple breaths like you mentioned and it's working very midly, but working. Once my son goes to bed I'll have to work on destresing and find a quiet place in the house.

Thanks for the quick response, every little bit of advice helps.

Full moon eh, that makes sense why everyone was driving so crazy today, I'm staying off the roads for the rest of the night, hehe.
  • edited January 2006
    Frizzer wrote:
    Well what I try and do is take a second to find where this anger or irritation is coming from.

Here's an example:

I'm on my way to work and someone is driving in front of me and they're holding me up.
    I start getting irritated and can feel myself getting stressed out.
    I then pause and ask myself why I'm getting annoyed with this person. Maybe they are going slower than me because they've been working nights and are on they're way home. Maybe they have only just passed their test and are nervous. Maybe they've recently had an accident and once again are nervous. Maybe if I hadn't overslept I wouldn't be in so much of a hurry!!
    Invariably I come to the conclusion that it's my fault I'm getting stressed and not this other person and this helps dissipate the feeling.

It may not work in every situation but I've found being mindful and examining the source of the irritation invariably causes it to go away, or at the very least lets me understand it a bit better.

This sounds like a good plan, and I'll have to try to make it work when the situation arises. Thank you.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    it's got to be the moon then, the last couple days is when it really started settling in. I just took a couple breaths like you mentioned and it's working very midly, but working. Once my son goes to bed I'll have to work on destresing and find a quiet place in the house.

Thanks for the quick response, every little bit of advice helps.

Full moon eh, that makes sense why everyone was driving so crazy today, I'm staying off the roads for the rest of the night, hehe.

I don't normally subscribe to crazy-sounding theories like this one, but there is much scientific evidence which seems to give credence to this phenomenon...
    the moon affects the water of this planet, and given that we are around 70% water, it does seem quite logical that we are affected by the phases.. particularly full and new....
    This is why some are referred to as LUNAtics... this is why when the french are angry, they say 'j'ai la lune bleue" and when the Italians are more crazy than usual, they are accused of having a 'mezza-luna' (a half-moon) ...not all there....
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    I read somewhere that it helps to treat your anger with compassion. Treat the actual emotion of anger with lovingkindness and compassion. Accept that it has arisen and give yourself permission to be human. And Fede gave me an exercise that works like magic! When you start to get aggravated, give yourself a specific amount of time in which to wallow in it. Say, 10 or 15 minutes, or whatever you think. Then, when the time's up, let it go, in the way that Fede said in the above post. Don't beat yourself up for simply being a human being. But know that with practice and mindfulness YOU are the master of your perspective and you HAVE the power to change the way you feel. As you go along with the time limit practice, decrease the amount of time you give yourself, until you reach the point that you can control it quickly and easily and to your own satisfaction.
    (Thank you, Fede!)

Love, Brigid.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Strangely, I react to the full moon quite differently. I get lots of energy and my mind becomes crystal clear and I understand things that I've never understood before. I feel a lot of strong and positive power at these times. Then, when it starts to wane my energy decreases until after the new moon. It never fails. It happens every month. And my body always aligns with the full moon. It's like it's trying to right itself. It's hard to describe. When my hormone levels get a little screwed up, for whatever reason, I can feel a pull to rightness at the full moon. Like it's trying to work itself out. Some of the women might understand this.
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited January 2006
    When I get stressed, I use a visualisation technique to keep me calm. I'll explain:
    Think back to a time when you felt relaxed and happy- where were you? What did you see? What did you smell? For me, it's sitting by the beach in the sun, listening to the waves breaking on the shore. When you feel stressed, close your eyes (If you can!) and think of that time- the sights, sounds and smells. As you begin to visualise your happy moment, your stress levels will begin to drop. It works for me, and I used to be the most crabby, irrascible person imaginable!

Peace
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2006
    I have often thought that there are a number of problems associated with driving, so many people experience raised levels of arousal expressed as anger and selfish behaviour.

Could it be because we are trying to go faster and further than we are built to go?

Could it be because, when we are in a car, we are surrounded by metal and insulated by rubber tyres from the world around us?

Could it be because the internal combustion engine produces exhaust gases which are poisonous to humans and the environment?

Whatever the reasons, driving does seems, so often, to be an occasion for unskillful mind and actions.
  • edited January 2006
    Hello all,
    I'm luckily because I live in the country. The only thing that slows me down are cows, wombats, foxes, birds and fallen tree limbs. Apart from that, driving is such a pleasure because I have such beutifull views to look at!!!!!!!!AHHHHHH!!!!
    As for stressing out, well unfortuatly I have to take meds for that:downhand: but apart from that I play loud, "angry" rock music, take deeeeeepppppp breathes and then I'm okay. I get stressed sometimes because I look after people with various levels of mental illness and it really takes it outa ya when one of them goes:rant:
    The moon thing is true, I and others that Iworked with have found that when the full moon strikes, some of the patients do flip out big time!!!!

Just my 2 cents.......