Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is attachment? How do you know when you're attached?

conradcookconradcook Veteran
edited July 2011 in Meditation
I'm just putting this out there as an interesting question.

My test for attachment is to go without and see what happens. Attachment induces suffering; therefore in the abscense of an object, if we suffer, we are attached.

This came up on another thread: I suggested people take notes, and it was said this was, or could be, a form of attachment. And this raises a broader point for any dimension of our practice.

One analogy I use in my own mind is that of playing chess. Or checkers.

It's an interesting situation, because on the one hand the chess player is *utterly ruthless*. But he is ruthless with no malice against his opponent. And even in losing the game, the ideal player will just grin, shrug, and think about where he went wrong or how he could improve.

So one is persistent and determined -- but not attached.

My question is -- what other ways can we look at it? What are your thoughts?

Buddha bless,

Conrad.

Comments

• A wise man once said, "This whole world is attachment, yet you get worried because you are attached." If you want to get free of attachment you have to go beyond the whole world. You can practice being free of attachment as much as you want in various circumstances but until you are ready to leave this world and everything in it behind completely and die you are only playing games (like chess) against your own ego. The goal is to destroy the ego not strengthen it with mental gymnastics. Be honest with yourself about what you are ready to undertake and move at your own pace though. Do not force yourself into situations of discomfort as this will only strengthen the ego's "I can do this" mantra. Remember that enlightenment is not something you do, it is something you un-do. Understand that compassion for the self is as important as compassion for others on your quest for realization. A Buddha does not test anyone or anything to arrive at the point of perfect knowledge, he simply removes all which stands between him and what has been staring him in the face all along.
  • So until I'm physically dead, I'm attached?

And yet, the Buddha, so far beyond me, was free of all attachment, and yet there was a living body, which was utilized for the benefit of all sentient beings.

I think you could be a pervert.

Buddha bless,

Conrad.

ps - I play chess against myself too! Tricky to do without picking a favored side...
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    non attachment arises when we see clearly into what is.

by seeing clearly, wisdom arise. thus we can experience anything and not be attached. when we see clearly, there is no true subject that attaches to things, nor are there objects to attach to. because everything is constantly changing and everything is completely interdependent.

non attachment isn't a forced position, nor is it a negation of everything. it is simple our state of being, which is complete unconditional acceptance of what is and what is, is everything and nothing.

the first attachment deals with the psychological grasping of death. that is an existential grasping and from that it gets more and more complex as you come towards the heart. so there is the emotional body and we grasp at emotions and we want to feel good, so we only grasp at bliss but reject anything other than bliss, which again stems from the fear of death. then as you go up towards the mind you come to a even more complex system that interprets the fear of death accordingly.

the only true way to "get" rid of an attachment is through total acceptance and seeing clearly through mindfulness/concentration. truly it is only the mind that attaches and wants to get rid of attachments. see the problem?

but with clear seeing, wisdom, and acceptance our natural state of being arises. this natural state of being is in constant acceptance and letting go. but this is one side of the equation. total acceptance means even acceptance of the relative, conditional and dependent life. so here you are balancing paradoxes, such as being a no-thing yet being every-thing. having no permanent self, but having a self that is constantly changing and evolving. living life like everyone else, but seeing clearly
    and realizing the nature of reality in every single moment.

i could go on and on but yeah thought i'd share.
  • [blockquote]the first attachment deals with the psychological grasping of death. [/blockquote]

Surely you mean the grasping for life, which even death does not extinguish?

Buddha bless,

Conrad.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    We also suffer when we have the object we are attached to.
  • Jeffrey,

That's an interesting thought. Can you elaborate?

C.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited July 2011
    It's an interesting situation, because on the one hand the chess player is *utterly ruthless*. But he is ruthless with no malice against his opponent. And even in losing the game, the ideal player will just grin, shrug, and think about where he went wrong or how he could improve.
    Attachment in this analogy could be keeping specific pieces or winning the game. If attached to those, when we noticed paths to losing, we would feel a fearfulness. That fearfulness clouds our wisdom, generates self-clinging. We might refuse to move the rook wisely because fear of losing it immobilizes us. Or, we want to win so badly we miss the path to win. Or, we hate losing so badly we feel anger for the opponent and do not learn, making the next game a stage for a potentially similar mistake.

The more alert we stay to our mind, body and environment... the more consistently we can let go of what arises. Letting go frees up our energy to be skillful here and now. Be more skillfully "ruthless"... though I would normally say vigilant. Present enough to manifest the ideal... which might include losing or winning.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    conradcock, always with a new birth of an object to us we feel newness and wonder. That then fades, then we have more craving. When we have something we have fear to hold onto it and get more of it. We pursue it beyond. Not respecting the discontinuity of experience (impermanence again).

• Ah, that's clear. Thanks.

C.