Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is yoga a kind of meditation?

snGussnGus Veteran
edited July 2011 in Meditation
By the way, if I'm going to practice yoga, how can I prevent to join a non reliable yoga teacher or academy?

I want to be able to understand not only the Dharma but also myself (I got some personal issues that are kept inside my mind) and I think meditation would be very helpful.

And yoga is what I'd have access in my city, here yoga classes are given in gym academies and clubs.

I'd also like to know what is the relation between Buddhism and yoga if any.

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I think you can tell if the people don't treat you well then their yoga must not be helping them much. I don't really know the difference between yoga and buddhism. Yoga means union I think.. I think it harmonizes you.. I think yoga might be helpful but it wouldn't be as powerful as buddhism. You could practice yoga as a buddhist. Certain aspects of yoga in the shortrun might more directly address certain aspects of your suffering, but not as much in the long run or as powerfully imo.
  • there are different types of yoga, one includes meditation.
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    It really depends on the type of yoga you're practicing. Most yoga consists of postures, pranayama (breathing techniques), and meditation. Some schools focus primarily on meditation, Kriya Yoga for example, but most use all 3 components.
  • as with Taoism, it is compatible enough with Buddhism...
  • Yoga involves breathwork, and so usually is a form of meditation.