Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

String Theory

ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
edited February 2006 in General Banter
In the forum's growing thirst for unproven thereotical physics...

String Theory states that light, gravity, everything - including Buddhafoot and Yodamama!- are the same thing! (eeks! Yodamama freaks out at the sight of this!)

Everything is in fact the same, but seems different to us. The most common analogy for this is a guitar.

On the same guitar, there are a few strings. Are these strings strings and therefore same? YES.

But they play different notes. Are they different? YES.

Why is it so then? The reason is because they are plucked at different lengths and resonance. Going back to our String theory, everything is the same but only vibrates at different rates and factors to produce the different stuff we see - out of a common Universal Fabric!

MUAHAHAHAHA!!! But truly I don't understand how is it so, and I forgot how they proved it. :( But it's simpler than quantum physics (which I think they are related somehow or other) in the sense that you won't get a headache!

Comments

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Thank you, Ajani. That is so cool. I wish I hadn't been turned off physics in school by a bad teacher.

"Going back to our String theory, everything is the same but only vibrates at different rates and factors to produce the different stuff we see - out of a common Universal Fabric!"

I thought I remembered something about different rates of vibration and it having some relationship to Quantum Theory, just couldn't remember. I think I'll do a little research. I wonder when science is going to verify everything in Buddhism? ha ha ha

BTW, loved the "MUAHAHAHAHA!!!"

Thanks again from your physics challenged friend,
    Brigid
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2006
    As I, a mere humanities scholar, understand 'string theory', it is part of the attempt to find a Unified Field Theory which will unite the Space-Time Continuum and Quantum Mechanics. It is also related to the ongoing search for the fundamental 'bricks' from which everything arises.

The maths of string theory is, I am told, extremely elegant, if incomprehensible, requiring the postulation of many additional dimensions beyond the four normally perceived in the space-time continuum.

It is probable that it is now being adopted by New Age gurus to justify any barmy 'theory of everything'.

I have found the following site where there is a tutorial on the theory (needs a good proofreader, tho')

http://www.sukidog.com/jpierre/strings/
  • edited January 2006
    Here's some info. on Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe (excellent book, btw) and string theory:

The Elegant Universe:
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/

Watch The Elegant Universe (3 hours):
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html

String Theory:
    http://superstringtheory.com/index.html

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/21stC/issue-4.2/steele.html

group21qp.gif
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Thanks for the links, Simon and Satori. You guys really got me up and going. I went to have a nap and got up to find my research already started and well in hand. Where were you when I was doing my degree? Simon, I could have used your help when I was trying to illustrate the re-emergence of Aristotelian thought and it's synthesis within Christianity by Thomas Aquinas. It took me four months, but it was worth every hyper focused second.

Love,
    Brigid
  • edited January 2006
    You're welcome! Here, have some coffee ... perk0qd.gif
    edited January 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    Thanks for the links, Simon and Satori. You guys really got me up and going. I went to have a nap and got up to find my research already started and well in hand. Where were you when I was doing my degree? Simon, I could have used your help when I was trying to illustrate the re-emergence of Aristotelian thought and it's synthesis within Christianity by Thomas Aquinas. It took me four months, but it was worth every hyper focused second.

Love,
    Brigid

:cheer:
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited January 2006
    I've read "The Elegant Universe" and it is a fascinating book. There were certain parts of it that just shocked me and made me sit up and say "This is buddhism in provable physics form".

I'm rereading it. It might help me comprehend better the second time through. I recommend it to everyone.
    edited January 2006
    omg satori thank you so much for the show link - i had no idea I could watch the show online. I have a home theatre PC so I will be watching some of this tonight. Woot! :D
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Brian wrote:
    I've read "The Elegant Universe" and it is a fascinating book. There were certain parts of it that just shocked me and made me sit up and say "This is buddhism in provable physics form".

I'm rereading it. It might help me comprehend better the second time through. I recommend it to everyone.

That's exactly what I was hoping! I can't WAIT to read that book. This is SO cool!
  • edited January 2006
    Brian wrote:
    omg satori thank you so much for the show link - i had no idea I could watch the show online. I have a home theatre PC so I will be watching some of this tonight. Woot! :D

You're welcome! I figured I'd post the links to it since there are quite a few people here from other countries who most likely didn't get to see it on PBS. I love it when they offer things like this online! :thumbsup:

:cheer:
  • edited January 2006
    Are any of you aware of this site?

A Course in Consciousness:

http://faculty.virginia.edu/consciousness/home.html

It's quite a comprehensive site on quantum physics. I found it listed at a Buddhist site but personally haven't taken the time to explore it myself just yet.

cloud92lp.gif
    edited January 2006
    A bit of "trivia" for those of us who struggle with the maths beyond 'A' Level: Sir Isaac Newton considered that 'long division' was so hard that it was to be considered "Higher Mathematics". And, earlier, St Ambrose was nearly tried for witchcraft because he could read silently without moving his lips. Both of these skills are now taught in Primary schools! There will come a day when our 10 year-olds will be well versed in Heisenberg, probably.
  • edited January 2006
    The Elegant Universe - String Theory

The Elegant Universe - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0377171/

Overview
    In Part I of The Elegant Universe, “The Edge of Knowledge,” Greene introduces the central problem of modern physics: the incompatibility of Einstein’s theory of general relativity with quantum mechanics. He then lists the physical curiosities—properties of the motion of light, gravity, and the behavior of particles at the subatomic level—that have prevented physicists from establishing a single coherent theory for how the universe works. For most of the twentieth century, physicists contented themselves with describing either the most small-scale or the most large-scale workings of the cosmos, but never both simultaneously. At the end of this section, Greene describes both the objectives and the promise of superstring theory, which attempts to merge the laws of general relativity with those of quantum mechanics.

Without dismissing the importance of electrons and quarks, which are the basis of quantum mechanics, superstring theory depicts the smallest particles in the universe not as dots but as tiny strings of energy. These strings are one hundred billion billion (a quintillion) times smaller than a single atomic nucleus. They vibrate in different patterns, which in turn produce different particle properties. But because these strings are too tiny to locate with current scientific tools, superstring theory is not yet predictable or testable. Therefore, physicists like Greene must work with approximations of equations until more information has been verified. Still, the promise of string theory is tremendous. Only string theory’s conceptual framework offers any possibility of unifying general relativity and quantum mechanics into one complete understanding of how the universe works.

In Part II, “The Dilemma of Space, Time, and the Quanta,” Greene reviews the basic precepts of the two competing theories—first, Einstein’s special and general relativity, and then the “microscopic weirdness” of quantum mechanics. General relativity presupposes a smooth surface of space, but at an ultramicroscopic level (which quantum mechanics has helped unveil), the spatial fabric is subject to violent undulations known as “quantum foam.” Greene also discusses the basic principle of quantum mechanics: the uncertainty principle. The uncertainty principle predicts the impossibility of knowing both the exact location and the velocity of a particle at any given time. Greene goes over the four fundamental forces—the strong force, the weak force, electromagnetism, and gravity—and he describes the complexity of incorporating gravity into the standard model of the first three. In the last chapter of this section, Greene stresses the necessity of finding a new theory that revises both general relativity and quantum mechanics. Like many of his colleagues, Greene simply cannot accept that the universe is, at its core, divided into two contradictory theoretical frameworks.

In Part III, “The Cosmic Symphony,” Greene discusses in detail how superstring theory works. He employs many musical metaphors to suggest how strings “harmonize” or bring together the most puzzling aspects of the cosmos. After praising the elegance and economy of the theory, Greene gives a brief history of its first incarnation in the 1970s, when it was referred to as the bosonic string theory. He also explains the subsequent revisions the theory underwent during the first superstring revolution in 1984. Greene then describes how supersymmetry— a concept that predicts the existence of superpartners that correspond with all known particles—transformed string theory into superstring theory.
    With these basics covered, Greene proceeds to one of the oddest claims of string theory: the theory that the universe contains far more dimensions than we can perceive. In its current form, superstring theory postulates the existence of eleven total dimensions: ten of space and one of time. According to the theory, equations of quantum theory can mesh beautifully with relativity if we assume the existence of eleven dimensions. Greene concludes “The Cosmic Symphony” by analyzing the central difficulty of string theory—namely, the lack of experimental evidence for superstring theory. He describes the efforts he and his colleagues have made to develop string theory and refine its underlying mathematical principles. He shows what a Calabi-Yau space (the six-dimensional shape that physicists believe the additional, curled-up dimensions of space will form) may look like.

Part IV, “String Theory and the Fabric of Spacetime,” is the most complicated and involved section of the book. Greene begins with an overview of quantum geometry and the new kind of math that must emerge to explain the universe on an ultramicroscopic scale. He argues that contrary to what physicists previously believed, the fabric of space can be ripped and torn with no catastrophic consequences. He also covers the second superstring revolution, which shows that all five string theories are really part of a single, unified framework called M-theory. It is fitting that no one knows what the “M” signifies, because M-theory is one of the most radical, incompletely understood theories ever to evolve. M-theory proposes the unification of gravity with the three nongravitational forces. It is an extension of string theory that suggests the elementary particles of the universe might include, in addition to strings, two-dimensional membranes and three-dimensional blobs of varying size. Greene ends his discussion of the latest advances in superstring theory by discussing its cosmological implications, what it might reveal about the origins of the universe.

Part V, “Unification in the Twenty-First Century,” concludes the book. It covers the prospects of string theory in the twenty-first century. It describes the advances Greene and other string theorists hope to make in unveiling a single theory to explain the entire universe. For all his optimistic predictions, however, Greene never hesitates to admit that because of its complexity, superstring theory might not be fully understood for many years.

The Fabric of the Cosmos
    In 2004, Brian Greene published a simplified follow-up to The Elegant Universe called The Fabric of the Cosmos. He claims to have written The Fabric of the Cosmos because his mother—to whom The Elegant Universe is dedicated—told him that she put down the book and never finished it. She said it was too difficult for the average person to understand. The Fabric of the Cosmos is the best first resource for someone having trouble with The Elegant Universe. It is written in the same engaging, user-friendly language, but the technical explanations are considerably easier to understand. Chapter 12 of The Fabric of the Cosmos, “The World on a String,” succinctly summarizes the history of string theory, while Chapter 13, “The Universe on a Brane,” introduces the findings of the second superstring revolution.

:rockon:
    edited January 2006
    Elohim and I watched this tonight - the whole three hour thing in one sitting.

Whew

My head hurts :D
  • edited February 2006
    Brian wrote:
    Elohim and I watched this tonight - the whole three hour thing in one sitting.

Whew

My head hurts :D

hysterical4bq.gif
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Perhaps everyone should just shut up and just focus on the 3 dimensions we tangibly feel. :( Nowadays I see no use in wondering so much about the world while you're labelled a "weirdo" for that and you become more and more poorer in inter-personal relations, like me. I'm feeling really guilty nowadays for spreading this theory about.

I have what I call myself as "Bigfoot Syndrome" (BFS). In my attempt to make myself look normal instead of being a weirdo, I unwittingly teach these kind of physics to my normal, close friends who then turned to love the theory, and then become to find me normal. But I think that what I have done, is only to make them WEIRD. Just like me. :(