Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What was your refuge experience like?

JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
edited July 2011 in Philosophy
I'm going to take refuge this year, talked to my lama about it. She is in england so we are going to work out what I can do as a ceremony.

But thats not the topic of this thread. You are the topic. What was your refuge ceremony like and please share any thoughts or feelings.

I thought this would be appropriate in either advanced or beginner to be honest but move as needed.

Comments

• GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Hi Jeffrey,

Although I have taken formal refuge ceremonies before, they are not all that important, in my opinion. It is much more important, in my opinion, to take refuge in the Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha in your own heart than it is to chant a few Pali words and bow to a statue three times.

Having said that, I do find it is a useful practice to chant and bow as it helps me recollect the qualities that the Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha represent - but this recollection is neither intrinsic to the formal refuge ceremony nor does the recollection have to be confined to the ceremony.

Metta,

Guy
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Yes others have shared that they take refuge every day. Some have shared that the ceremony was very energizing to their practice which you could look back on the first sentence.
  • lonely... no witness.
  • LostieLostie Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Jeff,

What exactly is 'taking refuge'? Any reason for doing that?

Why 'take refuge' when Buddhism teaches us to face life as it is? Thanks.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    To strengthen your connection to the buddha dharma and sangha. Your alignment. I agree your right to face life as it is. But you can do that from a buddhist perspective.. Facing life as it is would be taking refuge in effect, because the buddha nature has that quality of openness, the dharma teaches to work with situations, and the sangha practices the teachings in this realm.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I moved it to Advanced ideas, because I think it's probably something a beginner might not be considering as an option. Nice topic though.

I have posted my experiences many times, so I'll be brief:
    I took personal Refuge in a "home-made" ceremony in 2000, at home, on my own. Unlike Vincenzi's experience, mine was profound, blissful and absolutely right. It needed no witness, and felt absolutely 'as it should be'.
    In 2008, I took refuge within my local temple, during the Wesak ceremony.
    Lovely as it was, to participate in a community renewal of the ceremony, curiously, the first time I did it was far more significant and appropriate.

• Why 'take refuge' when Buddhism teaches us to face life as it is? Thanks.
    For the sake of the path.