Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

happy muharram new year

angulimalaangulimala Veteran
edited February 2006 in Faith & Religion
happy muharram new year to all muslim brothers and sisters.

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2006
    angulimala wrote:
    happy muharram new year to all muslim brothers and sisters.

In the Name of the Compassionate, the Merciful, may 1427 AH be a year of peace and reconciliation.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2006
    "In the Name of the Compassionate, the Merciful, may 1427 AH be a year of peace and reconciliation."

Simon

Thanks, Simon, for that. PLEASE! Your thoughts on all these newspapers in Europe.

Indulge us.

Please.

Fondly,

Nirvana
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Nirvana wrote:
    "In the Name of the Compassionate, the Merciful, may 1427 AH be a year of peace and reconciliation."

Simon

Thanks, Simon, for that. PLEASE! Your thoughts on all these newspapers in Europe.

Indulge us.

Please.

Fondly,

Nirvana

I think that these events have a number of lessons for us and pose very important questions:

* The similarities between the reaction to these cartoons and to Rushdie's Satanic Verses are instructive.
    There is a very "raw nerve" among Muslims which resembles that exhibited in the past by Catholics towards the Virgin Mary.

There is talk, again, of fatwas.

There is increasing confrontation between the West and Iran.
    Despite the upset, expense, damage, etc. of the Rushdie affir, the press does not appear to have learned any lessons.

* The widespread reproduction of these cartoons has inflammatory aspects. There is a clear determination in the European press to raise the issue and to crank up the debate. The British press sits on the fence which I think wise: the full extent of the unrest is not yet clear. None of us is unaware of the terrorist risk and there is something of "Albert and the Lion" about the actions of the newspapers. Albert poked the lion with his "stick with the horse's-head handle" because the old lion was dozing. The result was that Albert got eaten.

* The argument about "freedom of the press" and "freedom of expression" are, I believe, irrelevant and possibly dangerous at the moment. They serve to emphasise cultural differences rather than leading to reconciliation.

Republishing the cartoons seems to me to have been a very unskillful act, calculated to deepen rifts between Muslim and non-Muslim.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Thank you, Simon. I think what you have said is right. From a Buddhist perspective, Right View, Right Intention, Right Action, & Right Livelihood are not involved in the publishers' decisions.
    Can We All Just Give Peace a Chance?
  • angulimalaangulimala Veteran
    edited February 2006
    I think that these events have a number of lessons for us and pose very important questions:

* The similarities between the reaction to these cartoons and to Rushdie's Satanic Verses are instructive.
    There is a very "raw nerve" among Muslims which resembles that exhibited in the past by Catholics towards the Virgin Mary.

There is talk, again, of fatwas.

There is increasing confrontation between the West and Iran.
    Despite the upset, expense, damage, etc. of the Rushdie affir, the press does not appear to have learned any lessons.

* The widespread reproduction of these cartoons has inflammatory aspects. There is a clear determination in the European press to raise the issue and to crank up the debate. The British press sits on the fence which I think wise: the full extent of the unrest is not yet clear. None of us is unaware of the terrorist risk and there is something of "Albert and the Lion" about the actions of the newspapers. Albert poked the lion with his "stick with the horse's-head handle" because the old lion was dozing. The result was that Albert got eaten.

* The argument about "freedom of the press" and "freedom of expression" are, I believe, irrelevant and possibly dangerous at the moment. They serve to emphasise cultural differences rather than leading to reconciliation.

Republishing the cartoons seems to me to have been a very unskillful act, calculated to deepen rifts between Muslim and non-Muslim.
    amen to your views simon,i absolutely agree with you