Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How to get rid of pins and needles after meditation?

maartenmaarten Veteran
edited July 2011 in Meditation
I can sit comfortably in half-lotus when meditating, and this is my preferred pose. However, at some point I get a numb feeling in my legs. In itself, this doesn't bother me, because it usually happens after 20 minutes, which is about the time I like to spend in a session. However, it gets really uncomfortable AFTER the session, when the blood gets back into my legs, and there are lots of pins and needles. I usually lie on my back with my legs in the air, knees bent, shaking/massaging them a little, because placing my foot on the floor tends to shoot a stream of pins up my leg.

Do you have some tricks that help to bring your legs back to normal in a (more) comfortable way?

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I used to get pins and needles and then a rush of sort of urgency and feeling which was even stranger. I used to stand up when they came awake enough to feel a little bit I think that is similar to massaging them. The sense of standing and so forth is balancing, but obviously I wouldn't want to do that before ready. Often one foot was quite steady and the other not so.

The only thing I can share is that it went away eventually. I don't get much numbness, not enough for pins and needles. I think that the tightness of your legs pinches the nerves and more relaxation averts this. Sometimes I notice one leg is more deadened and I switch the lotus. Its ok if they get a bit numb to stop the lotus and stretch your legs out. Its still meditaion. This is all my opinion, enlightenment not guaranteed!
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    I think a lot of people have the assumption that you must sit completely still for an extended period of time to meditate. If your legs go numb, stop. Get up, try some walking meditation. Sit back down.

Being comfortable but alert in meditation is important.

Try to see what a good time is to stop doing Half Lotus. Maybe change positions or do sitting meditation after that time.
  • maartenmaarten Veteran
    Hi Yishai, thanks, I will try your suggestion. I can plan 10 minutes sitting, one minute walking, 10 minutes sitting, and see how it works out.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Thats what I was trying to say about letting your feet go outward when they are getting numb. You can still be mindful in moving them and then rest in the mind when they are extended.
  • maartenmaarten Veteran
    Hi Jeffrey, yes, I realized your advice was going along similar lines (so, thanks :-). I think it will help me to have a set time for sitting/walking/sitting, because otherwise I will just be wondering during the meditation if it's already 'bad enough' to adjust my leg. I will let you know how it goes.
  • try another position?

• "Stand" on your hands and knees, in sort of a "crawl" position. From this position, you can extend one leg straight back then alternate.

The cool thing is that you can treat this as part of your meditation. Sort of like yoga. Furthermore, on long sessions, you might want to use this as an "intermission."
  • maartenmaarten Veteran
    Sitting/walking/sitting worked like a charm, and I can change the half-lotus after the walking to have the other leg on top.
  • It used to happen to me as well homes, but went away after awhile naturally. I guess the body just naturally adapt to the habit? Know wah m sayin?
  • I think I found the trick. Tonight I tried lying on my back, and bringing the knees all the way to the shoulders (buttocks lifted in air a bit). It killed the needles in 10 seconds. You have to be a bit flexible to do this. If it really always works I will post a confirmation :-)
  • Seiza bench! :)
  • My experience has been that sitting in cross-legged or half lotus may create physical problems unless you are used to it from very early age. Doctors too will advise that. In my view, it is best to sit on the bed without any back support with your feet comfortably on the ground. The only logic behind any posture is that you should be comfortable but not so comfortable so as to fall asleep.
  • I think I found the trick. Tonight I tried lying on my back, and bringing the knees all the way to the shoulders (buttocks lifted in air a bit). It killed the needles in 10 seconds. You have to be a bit flexible to do this. If it really always works I will post a confirmation :-)
    You can get into a similar position without going on your back by doing the "child's pose" in yoga.

http://www.google.com/search?q=yoga+child's+pose&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=dMy&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=itR6TpG5EMXniALAvc2nDw&ved=0CDoQsAQ&biw=1001&bih=639
  • Something that I learned from Yoga that may help.

In any sitting position other than full Lotus, sit with your knees lower than your hips. This can be accomplished by sitting on some height
  • Massaging all of the toes, up the leg, to the inner thigh between the pelvic and leg while in the half lotus position regulates the rapid blood flow. As the legs are moving to resting position, repeat while remaining seated. The pins and needles dissipate and there's no urgency to freeze your posture. Then just sit with legs together in fetal like pose, get on your knees, and slowly stand. My trust is that it should work.

:)

• Just posting this in case it could be useful to someone: I can now confirm that lying on my back, and bringing the knees to the shoulders is very effective, in 20 seconds the pins and needles are gone, and there are no sudden surges of pins while doing this position, because the legs are dangling in the air and not touching anything.