Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

is samsara funny?

VincenziVincenzi Veteran
edited July 2011 in Philosophy
half-serious question

Comments

• yes, when considering how trivial most of the things we become so enamored with are.
  • and unnecessarily attached. i often wonder how I could have been as deluded as I was and how deluded I still am. it's funny to consider the insight I've gained and where I am in my perspective on things as opposed to where I was just 5 months ago. It's not that serious :)
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited July 2011
    @justbe

sometimes one can only smile or laugh, at samsara...
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    i cuddle with samsara then i go to bed.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    When I think about samsara I always think about dogs.
    When I throw a ball, the dog will retrieve it. He loves it. So we do it again.
    I am bored after ten times; but not the dog.
    He never loses any of his enthusiasm; not after years; not after eons; not after millions of times.
    It is so unbelievably stupid!

Samsara (the idea of cyclic rebirth) is just like that.
    We want - whatever it is we want in life - with all our hearts, in spite of the fact that we chased it millions of times before. We fear to lose - whatever it is we fear to lose in life - with the same intensity as ever; in spite of the fact that we lost it in every single life we lived since beginningless time.

Being a Buddha and seeing this clearly would feel the way it feels for me when I ask the dog: “Do you really want me to throw the ball? Again? You can’t be serious!”
  • mithrilmithril Veteran
    @zenff

I wouldn't really put the way a dog behaves in this way.

I think my dog is actually closer to Enlightenment as I am.

If i'm throwing the ball, he fully enjoys chasing after it. If we stop playing, he goes to sleep or plays by himself, still at least seemingly doing it like it is the best thing in the world. If i put away the ball he will search for it, cuz "she must've hidden it for me to enjoy the chase". He does not whine when he cannot find it, but goes to play with something else. He throws things over the stairs and then searches for them with his nose even when he knows where they are, just like i have "hidden his toy" when i put it away. When he sleeps, he sleeps like he is sleeping in the most luxurious bed in the world - but when it gets hot, he sleeps on the floor in the same way. He can sleep in any place we travel as if it was his usual place to sleep. When he gets beaten by a cat, he does scream for help, but he can play like nothing happened the next moment, not for a moment being like "why did this have to have happened to me?". Next time he doesn't run after the cat so he learns from bad experiences, but doesn't obsess about them.

If it gets really hot, he will not be unhappy about it. He will run in the sun and enjoy the walk in the same way. Then he will go and lie down in the shade like it is the best thing in the world.

He never worries about possessions. His only attachment is me and our family, this he could work on as it does cause him suffering when we have to go somewhere^^

But really, pretty much all the time he can live in the moment, with full attention to the now. How many of us can say that we can do that?

I guess you could compare a dogs persistence to chase the ball to us chasing wealth or other things - but there is a big difference, the dog will not as easily allow himself to suffer as we humans do. Dogs can let go just so much faster than us. If theres no ball, there is no ball. Big thing. Theres a pillow to be shredded :D
  • auraaura Veteran
    Samsara is outrageously funny. It is seeing the other side of everything...
    for one's education. It is the long slow but guaranteed method of enlightenment based on the old Spanish proverb: Spit in the air and it lands in your face.
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    edited July 2011
    @mithril

That was an amusing post, thanks :) Dogs only worries are when their next meal is and where they're going to poop next :lol:
  • Samsara is hilarious - like a monkey fucking a football.

Half serious response....
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    HAHAHAHAHA! OF COURSE IT ISN'T! LOL!
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    Samsara isn't funny, its samsara. All your neighbors, loved ones, stuck in the mud up to their waist, thirsty, baking in the sun... funny? There is humor and irony in the way we all relate to the world, sure, but calling samsara itself funny? Seems... poorly aimed at best.
  • auraaura Veteran
    Samsara is certainly not heaven, but neither is it hell. Samsara is rebirth with issues. What is funny is the strange assortment of issues that we all insist on clinging to out of our own stubborn thinking that sinking our own boats by filling them up with these rocks somehow constitutes "winning."
  • No, there are most certainly hell realms on earth... we are at an interesting time in our history.. things can go either way now, toward total destruction, or heaven & world peace.

having said that...

mMOOOOOOOO!!!

:p haha couldn't resist.
  • half-serious question
    Yes, but hardly anyone gets the joke.

half-serious response.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Seeing someone whats to commit suicide because their husband just suddenly died in a car crash, not that funny. :)
  • auraaura Veteran
    there are most certainly hell realms on earth...
    Just because there are hell realms on earth does not equate samsara itself with hell. The English word "hell" by definition is a universally and eternally torturous, completely inescapable, and stagnantly permanent-for-all-eternity condition which does not equate very well with samsara which is a cyclic rebirthing process.
  • auraaura Veteran
    Seeing someone whats to commit suicide because their husband just suddenly died in a car crash, not that funny. :)
    Neither is intense grief equivalent to samsara.
  • is samsara funny?
    ...because sometimes one can only smile or laugh, at samsara
  • half-serious question
    We have a choice; to either laugh or cry. But if we were anywhere near enlightened, I suppose we'd be equanimous about it all.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Samsara is:

Entering a corridor with many doors, and knocking on one.
    It is answered by a big, fat, funny-faced clown - who proceeds to batter the hell out of us.
    He leaves us in a beaten and bruised heap on the floor, and closes the door.
    The next day, we knock on the same door, and the same thing happens.
    And the next day.
    And the next.
    And the next.
    And the next.....
    One day, we knock on the door, but there is no answer. The clown has gone.

So...
    We go looking for him.....
  • I dunno, at least the arahant will smile with disbelief when samsaraputram hurt themselves... again, and again, and again, and again.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    No smile, just a wistful shaking of the head.