Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Where do we take birth again?

betaboybetaboy Veteran
edited July 2011 in Philosophy
Hi,

Where do we take birth next time? I mean what realms other than earth. Which realm is conducive to the practice of Buddhism?

BB

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    The human realm, with its balance of pleasure and pain. Don't dawdle, this is the best shot you have.
  • the best shot is the sudavasa abodes...
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    The human realm, with its balance of pleasure and pain. Don't dawdle, this is the best shot you have.
    "Now, having obtained a precious human body,
    I do not have the luxury of remaining on a distracted path."
    - Tibetan Book of the Dead
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Exactly so, Bonsai Doug. :) We spend all of our time worrying about what may happen at some unknown time in the future, which we are not really capable of controlling. All we can control is what we do now, and we have this Noble Eightfold Path that will break all of our bonds of suffering in this world if only we follow it. Who knows what the future may bring, or if we may not be reborn a mouse (if that)? Someone once said we should practice as if our hair is aflame, and I agree.
  • The human realm, with its balance of pleasure and pain. Don't dawdle, this is the best shot you have.
    I'd rather be in heaven with a limitless supply of ice cream. ;-)

Spiny
  • You are born here and there and sometimes over there. It's not so important where you're born as it is that you recognize birth, its cause, its cessation, and the path that leads to its cessation.

From a technical standpoint, the others are correct. A human birth is rare and even Gods wish to be born human. We suffer enough to seek salvation, but not so much that practice is impossible. A happy human birth is the greatest of blessings, greater even then birth in heaven.
  • humans take themselves too seriously, this isn't the best shot... really.
  • possibly somewhere similar to where we were born previously