Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How does faith work in Buddhism?

pauliwagopauliwago Explorer
edited July 2011 in Buddhism Basics
I was drawn into Buddhism primarily from science - I saw the many scientific findings and Buddhist teachings parallel. I was never satisfied with the Christian reliance on faith alone. I understand that some Christians experience something supernatural and for them, it's proof enough that the supernatural exists. I never could buy into that though...there are so many alternate explanations for their experiences.

However, I really like the idea that Buddhism allows the individual to think and test things for himself. I've begun to appreciate the value of meditation, compassion, etc. etc. that Buddhism teaches because I can see real-world consequences for them. However, when it comes to "re-birth", "nirvana", etc. it requires a leap of faith (from where I can see it). I really like the concepts (and would like to believe), but I'm puzzled as to how you guys have come to accept it as truth. Many Christians will tell you that they "experienced" God and therefore they believe He exists. For the Buddhist, I'm not sure if some divine revelation is part of the experience at all. Is it something that you take face-value, or is there a particular experience that gives you some sort of certainty?

Thanks guys.

Comments

• pauliwagopauliwago Explorer
    By the way, I don't have a problem with taking a leap of faith. It's just I guess I need to find some ground before I take the leap.
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    edited July 2011
    I'm pretty sure there is no 'need' for faith in rebirth or nirvana as truth. If it helps to think of it as one or another in your practice, then continue doing so. Otherwise, it's not necessary to believe one way or another. There is no forcing in Buddhism. These topics may or may not be answered with practice. It is only as important as you make it though.

I'm pretty sure that if you can find the truth of karma and meditation, you're off to a good start.

I'm sure there are those with orthodox beliefs who say you must believe in nirvana and rebirth though. The Buddha did believe in rebirth and nirvana, but he also offered us to investigate his teachings. Therefore, we should do just that if we truly want to know.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    I’m sure you’ll get quite different answers from the very sincere people on this forum.
    But my shot at it is:

Don’t take the leap. There’s no need.
    Always just don’t know.
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    edited July 2011

Always just don’t know.
    I agree. Have an open mind. Investigate.
    Monks, I do not say that the attainment of gnosis is all at once. Rather, the attainment of gnosis is after gradual training, gradual action, gradual practice. And how is there the attainment of gnosis after gradual training, gradual action, gradual practice? There is the case where, when conviction has arisen, one visits [a teacher]. Having visited, one grows close. Having grown close, one lends ear. Having lent ear, one hears the Dhamma. Having heard the Dhamma, one remembers it. Remembering, one penetrates the meaning of the teachings. Penetrating the meaning, one comes to an agreement through pondering the teachings. There being an agreement through pondering the teachings, desire arises. When desire has arisen, one is willing. When one is willing, one contemplates. Having contemplated, one makes an exertion. Having made an exertion, one realizes with the body the ultimate truth and, having penetrated it with discernment, sees it. (MN 70)
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    when it comes to "re-birth", "nirvana", etc. it requires a leap of faith (from where I can see it). I really like the concepts (and would like to believe), but I'm puzzled as to how you guys have come to accept it as truth.
    Some don't. :) I'm indifferent and don't see its significance to my practice.
  • pauliwagopauliwago Explorer
    True, that's what's appealing to me about Buddhism. I don't need to believe everything to practice, but at the same time, I want to explore everything I can.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Faith is associated with sradda, whhich is one of the five indriyas. These are five balanced factors that are part of awareness. There are 2 balances: sradda/prajna and energy/concentration...forgot sanskrit for those..

Prajna means the intellect basicly. Receiving information about things. sradda is how you bring your understanding into an embodiment. For example in a social situation prajna would be picking up the vibes and sradda would be taking those in and embodying that intelligence in the social mandala. Putting into practice.

Other than that in buddhism you don't have to take a leap of faith though you should be openminded to things outside of a narrow vision.
  • Vinya - energy
    Samadhi - concentration

So if having faith can be perceived as confidence in the Tathagata and remembering the teachings then faith is not the blind conviction we recognize in the Judeo/Christian ethic....
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited July 2011
    However, when it comes to "re-birth", "nirvana", etc. it requires a leap of faith (from where I can see it). I really like the concepts (and would like to believe), but I'm puzzled as to how you guys have come to accept it as truth.
    Nirvana is real peace experienced by a living mind. I accept this as truth. The Buddha taught Nirvana is the highest form of happiness. The Buddha described Nirvana as the end of greed, hatred & delusion; the end of mental concocting & craving.

As for rebirth, I do not accept this as "truth". I do not recall the Buddha describing post mortem rebirth as "truth". But I have not read all of his teachings. However, the Buddha certainly described the undeceptive happiness of Nibbana as the highest truth (MN 140).

Rebirth means the arising of the results of one's action. One's actions are "born again" or "reappear". For example, you rob a bank. This action reappears in court and then reappears in your mind as you rot in prison.

This is rebirth. It is the results of your actions. They will reappear in this life. If you choose to believe, with blind faith, then they may also reappear in another life.

Kind regards :)

• aMattaMatt Veteran
    This is rebirth. It is the results of your actions. They will reappear in this life. If you choose to believe, with blind faith, then they may also reappear in another life.
    Pauliwago, I think this is very well stated. I would also suggest letting go of the need for faith in your mind. Just notice the discomfort you have with the unknown and bring your attention back to the present moment, breath, action... where it can do you some good.

Don't worry about trying to believe the unverified.... when we put the instruction into practice we don't need belief. There just is what we've experienced and its enough.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi DD,
    If you choose to believe, with blind faith, then they may also reappear in another life.
    Faith need not be blind, it may be evidence based. In the case of post-mortem rebirth, there is some circumstantial evidence which supports the theory.

Metta,

Guy
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited July 2011
    I'm going to approach this from a different angle.

Faith means to trust. When we say doubt everything, we mean test the Dharma against your own experience. Faith and doubt do not conflict. The Dharma can stand up to your doubt, your questioning and testing.

In Buddhism, you must begin with faith in yourself. There is no higher power that is going to rescue you from Samsara, from your suffering and need to find meaning in your life. We don't start with the teaching that you are helpless, flawed, at the mercy of gods or prisoner of past life karma. We start by saying you can do what Buddha did, and be Buddha. Here's how. To put your steps on the path of Buddha takes a leap of faith in yourself.

And we will hand you a guide, a map that Buddha spoke and other monks wrote and the guides of today will explain. It's created for your benefit. While there is an end to the journey, the guide has to tell you where to put your feet today. You use the teachings, and they work, and you get the results we say you will get. You're not finished with the journey, but you must begin to have faith in the map we call the Dharma. To continue to walk the path of Buddha requires a leap of faith in the Teachings.

And there is a final leap of faith. Eventually you look around, and realize you're not alone in your journey. First, you see all the Buddhists that are stumbling along with you, our Sangha, and you learn from their success and failure. You begin to work as a team. Then you notice that everyone, in their own way, is only trying to find a way out of the forest of Samsara. Some do this by hurting others, but inside everyone is a suffering human being. This has to be taken on faith, because many people are such assholes that we can't see this directly. We all have the potential to be Buddha, but sadly most of us will never realize that. This final leap of faith, faith in our fellow human beings, is the hardest one to take. But, it's the key to unlocking Buddha's compassion for everyone.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Is it something that you take face-value, or is there a particular experience that gives you some sort of certainty?

Thanks guys.

Another member summed it up quite nicely on another thread IMO:

if you are with Noble Eightfold Path you do not suffer

if you are away from it you DO suffer

next time, when you face something that 'you do not like' (which is suffering) bring up your Mindfulness that "this will too pass" (anicca, dukka, anatta)

which means you are with Noble Eightfold Path

and

see whether you are still suffering

then decide whether there is possibility to END suffering by practicing the 'Noble Eightfold Path to the full extent'
    If you do this several thousand times and the answer to the question "are you still suffering", is always no, then one starts to "believe" that "Yes, this is possible"
    :)
  • The only thing in which I need to have faith is the simple truth of the four noble truths, and in the fact that living by the eightfold path will help me attain enlightenment eventually. There is (to me) no need for faith in any other teaching, teacher, prophet, deity, etc, etc.
  • I've begun to appreciate the value of meditation, compassion, etc. etc. that Buddhism teaches because I can see real-world consequences for them.
    That's how I think about "faith" in Buddhism - confidence in the practice(s).

Spiny
  • @Cinorjer thanks for that. very very well stated
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited August 2011
    For me, faith is confidence in practice which enables me to keep my promises to myself ..... my first experience of this was when I was a new 12 step practitioner many years ago, and my wise sponsor said to me - the times you really don't want to practice ( the steps ) are the times that you really most need to ... this reached me and still continues to apply.