Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Need Info. About Mahamudra

edited February 2006 in Buddhism Basics
I have heard this word in passing and have no idea what it refers to: Mahamudra. I know of a document called: Tilopa's Mahamudra Instruction to Naropa.
Is Mahamudra a person, a buddha, a teaching, a technique, or a sect? None or all of the above? Any expert or other opinions will be received with great appreciation!

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2006
    I tried looking something up regarding this topic and found this - which leaves almost more confused....

mahamudra

mahamudra is the ultimate goal
    mahamudra is reached
    mahamudra is a sanskrit word meaning 'the great seal' and refers to the profound view of emptiness
    mahamudra is throughthe
    mahamudra is beyond all words and symbols
    mahamudra is an approach to meditative practice that can be used by all
    mahamudra is an approach to dharma that brings great
    mahamudra is effectively
    mahamudra is that one has to understand the teachings of relative truth and the teachings of the ultimate truth of
    mahamudra is quite similar to the madhyamaka
    mahamudra is an important text composed by the vidyadhara
    mahamudra is divided into many kinds
    mahamudra is an instantaneous method
    mahamudra is a gut feeling of trust and the intellectual joy that something like this can exist
    mahamudra is taught because there is nothing you can say about it
    mahamudra is defined according to either the sutra or tantra classes of teachings
    mahamudra is sanskrit for the tibetan chagchen
    mahamudra is usually introduced quite early
    mahamudra is the understanding which is based on our appreciation of the nature of mind
    mahamudra is to add nothing to mind’s nature
    mahamudra is without parallel and sublimely transcendental
    mahamudra is dependant upon nothing; relax and settle in the continuum of unalloyed purity
    mahamudra is the basis
    mahamudra is not had by that alone
    mahamudra is as follows
    mahamudra is one the most important practice or meditation and also particularly karma
    mahamudra is the principal method of meditation of the kagyu lineage
    mahamudra is a state of your being when you are not separate from the total
    mahamudra is the true nature of mind
    mahamudra is a main theme
    mahamudra is a meditation manual on one of the most advanced practices of the tibetan buddhist tradition
    mahamudra is a treasury of practical instruction contains extensive teachings on the nature of mind
    mahamudra is divided into four yogas or 'natural abidings"
    mahamudra is the torch of supreme liberty shining forth through all conscious beings
    mahamudra is like a mind that clings to nought
    mahamudra is all about
    mahamudra is about learning how to calm the mind and gain insight
    mahamudra is an approach to dharma that
    mahamudra is described as ?realization of emptiness?
    mahamudra is that when the sixteenth karmapa came to the west
    mahamudra is “ocean of certainty” by the ninth karmapa
    mahamudra is extraordinarily fantastic
    mahamudra is usually chanted on days of the new and full moon
    mahamudra is one of the mind
    mahamudra is a tibetan buddhist meditation centre established in 1981 under the guidance of two tibetan lamas
    mahamudra is planning a series of teaching programme from sept to jan
    mahamudra is open to any week 1 participant who wishes to continue
    mahamudra is a rare jewel
    mahamudra is the "great seal" of reality
    mahamudra is direct meditation work with mind itself
    mahamudra is concerned
    mahamudra is a sanskrit term composed of two parts
    mahamudra is meditation on the ultimate nature of one's own mind
    mahamudra is positive but the wrong timing makes it a hindrance
    mahamudra is the development of awareness which gives liberation
    mahamudra is called the great movement
    mahamudra is a mind free from attachment
    mahamudra is synonymous with the kagyu tradition
    mahamudra is the pinnacle of practice in the kagyu school of tibetan buddhism and this book is a timely examination of a subject of which there has been little
    mahamudra is a formless teaching and system
    mahamudra is de ultieme ervaring
    mahamudra is; and the second point is how to practice it
    mahamudra is generally associated with bka
    mahamudra is very important for our sangha
    mahamudra is the advanced practice and realization of the kagyu tradition
    mahamudra is a vast and complex subject
    mahamudra is a method of realizing the true nature of all things
    mahamudra is
    mahamudra is a system of meditation that directly addresses the habituated perception of duality
    mahamudra is expounded and the pointing
    mahamudra is open to all practitioners
    mahamudra is expounded
    mahamudra is a synthesis of hatha yoga and
    mahamudra is a meditation technique which helps the meditator realize and experience the natural luminosity of
    mahamudra is described as "realization of emptiness"

-bf
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Here is another link - if these seem to be helping you at all...

http://www.lifepositive.com/Spirit/world-religions/buddhism/tilopa.asp

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    Yeah. That's what I'm talking about. I looked it up as is my habit and got thoroughly confused. I think it has something to do with Dogen. Who I have also heard mentioned and who I think is a person but past that I'm still confused. (Embarassed: I think Dogen is surely someone (?) I should know about.)

Thanks for the link. I'll take a look at that one and see if it clears things up.
  • edited February 2006
    Look into Tibetian Buddhism, or Vajrayana.

This is a good site.

http://www.berzinarchives.com/index.html
  • edited February 2006
    Wickwoman, interestingly, whilst Mahamudra is a term used in the Vajrayana tradition, you're not that far off. The practices of both Mahamudra and Dzogchen are nearly identical in some respects to that of Shikantaza (Just Sitting) in the Zen tradition, which was bought to Japan from China by Dogen in the 13th Century, when he returned after his awakening. All three are essentially formless meditation that rests in things as they are. Dogen is acknowledged as perhaps the foremost exponent of Shikantaza in his writings and teachings and is generally acknowledged as one of Zen greatest teachers.

To study the Way is to study the self.
    To study the self is to forget the self.
    To forget the self is to be enlightened by all things.
    To be enlightened by all things,
    Is to let fall one's own body and mind,
    And those of others.
    No trace of Enlightement remains,
    And this traceless Enlightenment
    Continues throughout eternity.

- Zen Master Dogen - From Genjokoan - The Koan of Everyday Life
  • edited February 2006
    I was reading about it some more last night. And I am grasping that it's about letting the mind be as it is. Not preferring one thought or state of mind over another. Basically, samsara is the same as nirvana. All things are to become as "one flavor."

Thanks for the info ZM. I have been intending to learn more about Dogen. One of our group quotes Dogen often.
  • edited February 2006
    Hi, Wickwoman,

Mahamudra, as others have pointed out, is a practice tradition within Vajrayana (Tibetan) Buddhism. It is closely related to Dzogchen. Here are a couple links to sites about Mahamudra. The first is quite interesting; it contains a complete course for Mahamudra training (though you are encouraged to work closely with a teacher as well).

http://www.mahamudracenter.org/MMCMemberMeditationGuide.htm

http://www.dharmafellowship.org/library/essays/mahamudra-dzogchen.htm

http://www.keithdowman.net/index.html

Best wishes,

Balder
  • edited February 2006
    Better than Dogen is Zen Mater Ejo.
    When Xuefeng spoke as he did, this was already being burned up in the flames of fire (tejas). Do you want to escape? Reciting scriptures, performing prostrations, raising and lowering each foot—everything is the manifestation of the great function of light.

True sitting is not arse sitting. The character for sitting (tso) in Chinese is two men sitting on the earth facing each other to talk. This means to face our Buddha-nature, the ground of true reality, which is the treasury of the light according to Master Ejo.
    Hence we know that the sitting meditation of our school is absorption in the treasury of light inherited directly from Burning Lamp [Dipamkara Buddha, lit., light making Buddha] and Shakyamuni. This is the light that is not two (advaya) in ordinary people and sages, that is Ekayana (one vehicle) in past and present.
  • edited February 2006
    Balder wrote:
    Hi, Wickwoman,

Mahamudra, as others have pointed out, is a practice tradition within Vajrayana (Tibetan) Buddhism. It is closely related to Dzogchen. Here are a couple links to sites about Mahamudra. The first is quite interesting; it contains a complete course for Mahamudra training (though you are encouraged to work closely with a teacher as well).

http://www.mahamudracenter.org/MMCMemberMeditationGuide.htm

http://www.dharmafellowship.org/library/essays/mahamudra-dzogchen.htm

http://www.keithdowman.net/index.html

Best wishes,

Balder

Hi Balder! So glad you joined! I will check out this info. Looks like a few nights worth reading.
  • edited February 2006
    Thanks Kotwaaia. I'll check it out.