Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Yodamama.... Where are you?

buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
edited February 2006 in General Banter
I miss you.

-bf

Comments

• edited February 2006
    I am here! Just been busy lately. Do you miss making fun of me or something?
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2006
    No... no fun making.

Just wanted to make sure my buddy was okay and not upset with me for being such a jerk all the time :)

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    Oh, you don't have to worry about that. You will know when/if I am ever upset. But, it does take a lot to offend me, so unless you are really being a jerk, then there is nothing to worry about!
    edited February 2006
    Good.

I just do sincerely worry about you being so anal retentive, vegan and catty. I just worry aboutcha, stinker.

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    I might be a little anal retentive, and I am vegan, but definitely not catty. Well, not to your face anyways! :)
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2006
    As this thread is on a public forum, I'm butting in here. I know only our friend buddhafoot gets to call you by "that" name of endearment, but I stole your signature. HA HA HA HA.

Anywho, YogaMama, what's up with bf? You both have made several posts in the last few days in the I'm Terrified of Dying thread. So he knows you're "around." D'ya think he's trying to draw attention to you? I mean, he could communicate via Private Messages. Perhaps he's willing to share you with us, afterall? ---
    :vimp:

What do you think of these European newspapers and the cartoons? I'm not a thread starter, as I'm new at this internet group stuff. Do you think any good will come out of this publishing? I mean, even eventually?

Fondly,

Nirvana
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    For my part, I thought it tactless and insulting of the publishers to put it into papers... It was both tasteless and extremely ill-timed, given the relations between different factions at the moment. Whatever one's political point of view, I sympathise with Islam and think they have a right to be offended. We might perceive it as trivial and over-blown. But they have a strict religious code regarding imagery. I think it merits being respected, whatever the viewpoint of others.
    edited February 2006
    Good morning, Fede!

I would have to disagree.

I have found that I have little tolerance for those who have no respect or tolerance for others and their beliefs, yet deem that their beliefs must be respected by all.

This is an international community and if they wish to be a part of it - they must learn tolerance and respect on their part. If you can't play nice, then stay to yourselves.

That's how I feel this morning without my first cup of coffee :)

Hows' everyone else doing?

-bf
    edited February 2006
    Nirvana wrote:

Anywho, YogaMama, what's up with bf? You both have made several posts in the last few days in the I'm Terrified of Dying thread. So he knows you're "around." D'ya think he's trying to draw attention to you? I mean, he could communicate via Private Messages. Perhaps he's willing to share you with us, afterall? ---
    :vimp:

Nothing is up with Yoda and I, Nirvana. Every once in awhile she tells me how hot I look with my six inch part I have going on in the middle of my head and how she "loves a man with a wooden leg" and I have to tell her I'm spoken for. So... I just check up on her every once in awhile.

Arrrrrrh!, boy-o!

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    I agree with Federica....it was terribly insulting to print those cartoons in the paper. The artist was fired, wasn't he? Regardless, those cartoons should not have been printed. I just read a quote from HHDL yesterday that fits well with this subject:
    "Love for others and respect for their rights and dignity, no matter who or what they are: ultimately these are all we need. So long as we practice these in our daily lives, then no matter if we are learned or unlearned, whether we believe in Buddha or God, or follow some other religion, or none at all, as long as we have compassion for others and conduct ourselves with restraint out of a sense of responsibility, there is no doubt we will be happy."

My husband and I are always saying that this world would be a much better place of people just had more respect for each other.

And Nirvana...I can have more than one friend on here. :) You may not be able to call me "YodaMama", but you can chat with me anytime!
  • edited February 2006
    BF - go have your coffee, and then tell us your opinoin. :) Isn't it sad that we all have to learn tolerance, instead of everyone just learning to respect each other?
  • edited February 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Nothing is up with Yoda and I, Nirvana. Every once in awhile she tells me how hot I look with my six inch part I have going on in the middle of my head and how she "loves a man with a wooden leg" and I have to tell her I'm spoken for. So... I just check up on her every once in awhile.

Arrrrrrh!, boy-o!

-bf

Riiiiiight........wooden leg or not, I only have room in my heart for one man - my hubby!!! :) BF and i just like to make fun of each other. He just likes me because I laugh at all of his jokes.
    edited February 2006
    You made a good point, Yoda.

I responded to Fede's post just off the cuff... Now that I've had my first cup of coffee and am trying to use Right Mindfulness - I may be in contradiction with myself.

I still think that we are part of a global community. I fervently believe that you CANNOT ridicule and belittle other peoples beliefs yet still maintain that everyone else must respect your beliefs. It is just like a slap in the face to me. I don't like it. If you wish respect, you must give respect.

But, when I think of Buddha's teachings - I don't believe that is how I should be thinking. Buddha did not require that respect, compassion and tolerance be given before he would show respect, tolerance and compassion.

So, now I don't know what to think and it makes me re-evaluate how I think about issues like this - and my attachment to coffee.

Thanks, Yoda! Good question.

I just hate it when people make me re-think my thinking thing.

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:

I just hate it when people make me re-think my thinking thing.

-bf

But that's better than going through life on "auto pilot" isn't it??? :)
    edited February 2006
    No. Where would you get a wool-brained idea like that from?

It's much easier to be on Auto-Pilot and just go through life - than to have to rethink your entire brain and ego for the greater good, silly.

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    But I am helping you to become a better person, so you are welcome!!
    edited February 2006
    So, we have still to learn, bf and YogaMama, whether others (besides the venerable Fede) are allowed to post on this thread. I'm assuming it's OK, as you didn't tell me to buzz off. I wouldn't bee minding that much if you wanted it that way.

As for these cartoons, I'm glad to hear there's some consensus that it's not right to be publishing them and rousing anger in the Islamic world. As for myself, I think it's always in bad taste to put others down. Very bad manners. Adults should model restraint and compassion and understanding.

Where will all this tackiness lead us?
    edited February 2006
    Nirvana, my friend.

I believe this is an open forum. You can post wherever you like :)

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    Well I agree with the Jordanian who published a speech that said "what gives a worse impression of Islam - some half baked cartoons or people becoming suicide bombers and video images of hostage takers cutting the throats of their victims?"

No contest for me. And I would point out that these people who are protesting in the streets for respect for their religion didn't say a word when the misguided amputee was openly preaching religious hatred in the heart of London.

Sauce for the goose. Want respect - then respect others.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    I agree. But is there something to be said for trying to lead by example?
    Just throwing it in as a pointer...
    Surely, it has to start somewhere.....:confused: :nonono:
  • edited February 2006
    Appreciate the intention Fede but I think this is part of the problem - too many allowances have been made for fear of stepping on people's toes and maybe it is time to say - well if you want us to respect your religion, get your house in order. As long as the vast majority of peace loving followers of Islam allow people to do these things in the name of their religion, they aren't going to get the respect and consideration they are demanding.

Bad things happen because good people let them.
    edited February 2006
    I'm still having a hard time with this because I tend to agree with Knit.

Even Buddha came to the point where he didn't suffer idiots. Those that cast insults at him - he left them with what they prepared.

I'm not saying that these people throwing the fits need to have something done to them - just let them wallow in their anger. If they decide they wish to play nice with everyone else - they might have to learn respect.

As a Buddhist - I believe compassion should come into play. As for the rest of the world - I can't blame them one bit.

-bf
    edited February 2006
    Where will all this tackiness lead us?
    TACTLESSNESS is what silly me really meant. Please forgive me my Southern lapses. In the South, tacky people do tactless and tracky and tacky things...

It's WRONG to stir up trouble, SIMPLY WRONG to court insults, etc. Let "artists" do whatever they will, that's a different issue: freedom of "speech."

But Freedom of speech is different from freedom of the press. The individual has the right to speak the truth as he or she sees it, and the press should be allowed to print that "truth." However, what is really happening here, as anyone can access the cartoons via the Internet, is that the press is getting involved in making the news, not just reporting it. The newspapers are taking a stand, which THEY KNOW will offend many, many (shall I say "literal-minded") Muslim people. (As if to say to these precious brothers and sisters of ours, "HA HA, you're all so derned literal-minded, now look at this stuff! Your so-called prophet is a pimp and a twit and a ...). Shameless.

Ah the number of trees they kill to print this rubbish which serves no good purpose at all!

It's interesting that Freedom of speech, freedom of the press, and freedom of Religion are all three mentioned in the American constitution's First Amendment. Also Notice that this same amendment adresses peaceable assemblies:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
  • edited February 2006
    I completely accept your point Nirvana and respect it. The thing that bothers me is the double standards involved here. Yes it was insensitive to publish the cartoons at the moment with all the tension going on in the Middle East, but being realistic, WHEN is there not tension in the Middle East, when would it have been ok to do this?

We aren't allowed to make jokes about Islam. Why not? We make jokes about Christians, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Wiccans ..... do we refrain from making jokes about Muslims because they have bombs and guns and tell us not to? That doesn't seem very reasonable.

The ability to laugh at oneself is a sign of maturity and security. This situation reminds me of a friend's daughter who was at that time a spoilt, self-centred little madam who had a vicious tongue and used sarcasm as her weapon of choice. One day in my presence she made a mess of something she was doing and I laughed. She turned to me, shaking, red in the face, with tears of rage spurting from her eyes and screamed "You're not ALLOWED to laugh at me. It's not ALLOWED".

She was eight years old - I expect better from grown ups.
    edited February 2006
    Knitwitch,

I've lived for half a century and have learned that people are pretty much STUCK in their mentality.* I respect all the religions, and want to be a friend of all the houses of religious practice. For the sake of peace, I try to accept that STUCKNESS is a fact of life, although I don't always succeed in being so very lovely...

Let people be the way they are, and suffer not oneself to rouse anger. Goodwill among the peoples is our ONLY CHANCE of survival.
    To me, it's not a question of double standards, but a matter of different standards. I respect the fact that we are different people, and appreciate that, and welcome that.

The press should not be in the rabble-rousing business. How we think as a people, our mentality, is governed by FEAR, and not by logic or justice. A common fear is what binds people together more than anything else. Therfore, let us praise those who are peacemakers, and castigate those opportunists who exploit issues to better themselves.

YogaMama, where are you when we need you?

*MENTALITY, more on Mentality: I find that every institution, every church, every business, every school, every you-name-it, has an overriding mentality that more or less "encodes" or "stamps" a character on its members or workers (and some of these are even healthy). Most workers or members in that system bow down their minds to that authority without much questioning. They do this out of FEAR of losing their jobs or their standing. I could, given the opportunity and space, write pages on this, but this "authority" (Latin) or "source" (English) matter is the crux of the matter. The source is not 'the Truth," but very often just "where the money's coming from." We can serve both gods, but should only love one. And ABOVE ALL, we should not expect others to SERVE ONE GOD ONLY, if we ourselves have to serve both "the truth" and Mammon, in some fashion. These are just the facts of life.
  • edited February 2006
    Nirvana

I too have lived half a century and have found that you don't stop people being bullies by giving in to them.

So we are to be ruled by fear? Please feel free to do so. I decline the offer. Threatening whole countries for the sake of a stupid set of cartoons (which incidentally have been so well publicised that I have still NOT seen them) is bullying.

If you re-read my post you'll find that I mentioned the peaceful muslims who are the ones I would like to react against this sort of idiocy - I applaud them, but I bewail the fact that this often mentioned "majority of peace-loving followers of Islam" do nothing to recover the reputation of their religion.

And the press, once the fall out had happened, were obliged to report the matter as being news - what is happening in the world - cartoons published in Denmark have caused a reaction in the Middle East - for their readers to understand what the whole business was about, they had to publish the cartoons. Or are we to bow to fear AND censorship at the same time?

I was raised in the company of muslims - the rabble rousers (not the press, the violence merchants) are not true representations.

edited February 2006
    Krishnamurti said that FEAR was the basic obstacle in our lives, Knitwitch. I am not talking about a few individuals who can rise above their fears, but about the phenomenon of a "mentality" shared by millions of Muslims worldwide. Mentalities are fear-based, is all. What I am saying is that we should accept that and reject the attitude that it's OK to insult, in such a blatant way, a core value that many people have.

I don't understand what peace-loving people (say, peace-loving Muslims) can do. I don't expect they'll riot, but I also don't expect they will necessarily condemn everyone who goes out onto the streets.

As for reading posts, or re-reading them, I can only say that people read IN THEIR OWN WAY. The Latin, LEGO, LEGERE, to read, has a primary meaning of SELECTING. We all select our own meanings. It takes a very good and skillful writer to get his or her point across, and then there's this interpretation business.

You express yourself well, but I can be kinda thick.
  • edited February 2006
    Oh please don't say that Nirvana - you are very obviously far from thick and it's my job to work with words, so no glory to me on that.

And .... I was just rushing in to post this - the "good guys" are standing up and being counted - I am standing on a chair cheering them on and waving my hat. I didn't catch all of it but the last item on the BBC early evening news showed a group of British muslims in a counter demonstration. One young man was very indignant and said "What are they thinking? What kind of image does this give us? I just hope that no non-muslims take this as our opinion as a whole."

Fantastic! As for the cartoons themselves, I'm sorry but as I said, I can't comment as I haven't even seen them for myself. As I heard it reported on the French radio, the original fury was that an image of Muhamed had been depicted where their religion expressly forbids it. The comment on the panel was that this might be the rules for muslims but doesn't apply to non muslims.

Unless and until I see the damn things I can't say. But I thank you most respectfully Nirvana for discussing this with me and sharing your opinion. I value it.
    edited February 2006
    Likewise, I thank you, Knitwitch for sharing your respectful, valued opinion on this grave manner. I think we should all be mindful, though, that silence on this matter is a bit suspect in many quarters around the world.

Let the Peacemakers triumph!

"A good deal of what passes for religion is often designed to prop up and endorse the ego that the founders of the faith told us to abandon."
    --Karen Armstrong from Buddha (PENGUIN LIVES series)
  • edited February 2006
    I couldn't agree more Nirvana - silence in law is taken as consent.

Here - have a cup of tea and some fruit cake - this is enjoyable!
    edited February 2006
    You guys are having such a respectful disagreement that I think I'm gonna cry :)

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    And you never knew me before Footsie! This is unbelievable! And very pleasant.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Yes, this really is a lovely thing.
    That was an actual respectful sharing of opinions.
    It works!
  • edited February 2006
    Knitwitch wrote:
    Well I agree with the Jordanian who published a speech that said "what gives a worse impression of Islam - some half baked cartoons or people becoming suicide bombers and video images of hostage takers cutting the throats of their victims?"

No contest for me. And I would point out that these people who are protesting in the streets for respect for their religion didn't say a word when the misguided amputee was openly preaching religious hatred in the heart of London.

Sauce for the goose. Want respect - then respect others.

Ahhh...it's like a breath of fresh air to read two people having such a nice discussion without attacking each other!

You both make very good points about this subject. And I agree with both of you. While I do agree that the cartoons should not have been printed because it is disrespectful, I also find it a bit odd that the people that are upset are out there retaliating with more violence! What kind of sense does that make??

Knitwitch....thank you for the above quote. Respect for others is very important, but I certainly do not agree with disrespecting someone just because they did not respect me or my beliefs.