Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Compassion and Suffering

edited July 2011 in Buddhism Basics
One of the most valuable teachings of Buddhism that can be borrowed by non-Buddhists, in my opinion, is how to be compassionate. The Dalai Lama teaches that compassion towards others is the best way to cultivate inner serenity and peace. According to him, being compassionate about the suffering of others can only add to your own happiness.

I find that when I am compassionate, it is very easy to make the suffering of others your own. I tend to empathize with them and become attached to the point where I am sad for them - for their suffering. This can be very draining.

My goal is to be compassionate. This is because if I am not compassionate, I am intolerant. Intolerance breeds anger and I do not want to be angry at people for their suffering. My question is this though: how does one become compassionate without being emotionally drained all the time?

Thank you for reading and considering what I have to say.

Comments

• edited July 2011
    Oftentimes, like you, I too find myself getting drawn into the suffering of others. The following are some aspects of "Buddhist compassion" I have come across (don't know the source)-

DO:
    (1) Have a sincere wish that others be free of suffering.
    (2) Where possible, engage in the removing of the suffering.
    NOT:
    (1) Don't get caught up in the grief of others (near enemy).
    (2) Don't be cruel and uncaring about the suffering of others(far enemy).

{or something to that effect}
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Compassion means being supportive, it doesn't necessarily mean putting yourself in their place..... Being compassionate for someone who has had his legs blown off by a landmine, doesn't mean that in order to feel his (physical AND emotional) pain, you too should have your legs blown off....

There is Idiot Compassion, and Wise Compassion.
    Idiot Compassion disables people by taking their own power to address their own situations, away.
    Idiot Compassion has misplaced sympathy, and creates a clinging, an ownership, a type of entitlement to gratitude....which is not Compassion at all, because it creates an agenda on both sides....

Wise Compassion sees the suffering of others, but understands that things are as they are, because they are as they are. You seek to support the person in their endeavours to overcome their difficulty, but you do not carry their 'pain' as baggage.
    Wise Compassion is not self-sacrificing.
    Otherwise, who needs the Compassion, now?
    And how can anyone give Compassion if they themselves are burdened by sorrow?
    compassion sees the instant, feels empathy in that instant, but then enables the compassionate to embrace the pain without owning it.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    See the beauty of them, then just relax and its not all up to you.
  • "Live in joy,
    In love,
    Even among those who hate.
    Live in joy,
    In health,
    Even among the afflicted.
    Live in joy,
    In peace,
    Even among the troubled.
    Live in joy,
    Without possessions.
    Like the shining ones.
    The winner sows hatred
    Because the loser suffers.
    Let go of winning and losing
    And find joy."

--- from the Dhammapada, "Joy"

Namaste'

Kwan Kev
  • So what I am understanding is that it is important to be compassionate but to be smart about it. There is a line to walk... a balancing point.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    By George....he's got it...... ;)
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited July 2011
    One of the most valuable teachings of Buddhism that can be borrowed by non-Buddhists, in my opinion, is how to be compassionate. The Dalai Lama teaches that compassion towards others is the best way to cultivate inner serenity and peace. According to him, being compassionate about the suffering of others can only add to your own happiness.

I find that when I am compassionate, it is very easy to make the suffering of others your own. I tend to empathize with them and become attached to the point where I am sad for them - for their suffering. This can be very draining.
    Your experience demonstrates the Dalai Lama is just teaching rhetoric

You must learn how to end your own suffering and you must develop right views, including on the worldly level, before you can practise complete compassion

You must be able to see the causes of the problems of others and the ideal solutions

How can you develop compassion (the wish to end the suffering of others) if you have no idea about how to end this suffering?

Just being "supportive" will still drain you if right views remain difficient

Kind regards

DD :)

edited July 2011
    deficient :dunce:
    edited July 2011
    So what I am understanding is that it is important to be compassionate but to be smart about it. There is a line to walk... a balancing point.
    the right method is described as wisdom and compassion

this is compared to the two wings of a bird, one wing being wisdom and the other wing being compassion

but you are referring to some kind of "smart compassion", which is still just one wing

what is required is two different wings, namely: (1) wisdom; and (2) compassion

what must be developed is wisdom

compassion arises naturally from wisdom but wisdom cannot arise from sentimental compassion

kind regards

DD :)

• compassion arises naturally from wisdom but wisdom cannot arise from sentimental compassion
    I disagree with this. I think that wisdom can be cultivated in many different ways. If it isn't cultivated with compassion in mind, then one can become very cynical. I feel as if you would not call this true wisdom, but i'm unsure of this.
    edited July 2011
    wisdom leads to equinimity rather than becoming cynical

in the equipoise of wisdom, one can engage compassion in a non-sentimental way

our problem is we may believe compassion is making others feel good, in the same way the Dalai Lama or Jesus makes other feel good

real compassion seeks to end suffering by being able to offer skilful means that allow others to help themselves

kind regards

:)

• Interesting Dhamma. Thank you for your advice. I will meditate on this I think.
  • auraaura Veteran
    My question is this though: how does one become compassionate without being emotionally drained all the time?
    You come to the realization that everyone's learning and resolving of their karma is a personal process of growth, and you patiently release any attachment that you might have to the idea that anyone else's personal growth must happen in the way and timeframe that you think it should. Severe emotional draining most often comes from severe attachment to the idea that someone else's personal growth must happen in the way and timeframe that you think it should.
  • Right compassion....wrong compassion....true compassion....false compassion.

I wish the problem was people had incomplete understanding of compassion. At least they'd be trying.

The problem is, people reject compassion entirely in any form as weakness and foolishness, while they wallow in their greed and self-centered passions.

When people struggle, compassion is the first thing thrown out. You have enough problems of your own. It's everyone for themselves. So you all end up drowning instead of helping each other into the life raft.

Compassion doesn't have to be wise, or be universal, or be enlightened, before you practice it. It just has to be. The wisdom and enlightenment will come later.

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    don't cling to their suffering or to your compassion.

when you are compassionate be fully compassionate and let the energy come and go.
    when you allow another's suffering to touch your heart don't cling to it. allow it to fully penetrate you and then naturally it will go away.

fully feel and accept what is. a fire burns until there is no fuel. true compassion will energize you rather than make you tired. a positive can only bring about more positives.
  • edited August 2011
    Form is emptiness. Compassion is wisdom. Same thing.