Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Can some one suggest me how to do meditation and how to build my concentration levels

edited July 2011 in Meditation
I am a beginner. I don't know any thing about meditation. Can any one suggest me how to do that and how to develop my concentration levels and what type of area should we choose for doing that.

Comments

• newtechnewtech Veteran
    I am a beginner. I don't know any thing about meditation. Can any one suggest me how to do that and how to develop my concentration levels and what type of area should we choose for doing that.
    Hello Chaitunadimpalli:

There are many meditation methods, and there are many definitions of what is right concentration inside the buddhist community. So you will have to do some research and start trying techniques until you find the right one for you, because everyone will tell u a different thing. I recommend 2 approaches:

-Look for the most well known buddhist teachers online and try the meditation instructions they use.

-Look in the suttas ("official" buddhist scriptures)

Good luck!

• Go to a dark place where nothing or nobody will distract you with a pillow, candle, and something to light it with.

Set every thing up to where you are comfortably facing only the candle. Keep the matches or lighter close to your reach but do not strike to light the candle, yet.

First breath deeply and hold it for about a full second and exhale, then hold for about a full second before in haling again. Repeat this alternating inhale and exhale 30 seconds each.

During the inhalation, just feel the sensation that you get from it and dismiss all thoughts. Just feel.

Then relax and beath regularly and simply listen to every thing without you as so within. Dismiss all thoughts. Just listen.

Open your eyes and see the darkness that you are in. Dismiss all thought. Just notice then strike the match or lighter and light the candle. Sit back down and look only at the candle light, your eyes will try to look other places, dismiss the urge; but if you do, dismiss that and look into the flame. Dismiss all thoughts, just look for 150 seconds.

When that has passed, cover your eyes with the palm of your hands. Dismiss all thoughts and just look at the imprint that the candle light left in your eyes until it disappears. Then open you eyes and sit resting and just luxuriate and just be.

Do this every day in the same place that works for you. From it, you will come to the understanding as to why forbearance, compassion, and being are the blessings supreme; hence, mindfulness.

There is nor short advice for this. Just try it. My trust is that this will help.

Deep peace with great respect to you, chaitunadimpalli.

SimpleWitness

• Check out the book Quiet Mind- comes with a guided meditation CD and covers several styles of meditation.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Stop judging things (as 'good' & 'bad'; 'this' & 'that', etc). Cultivate unconditional awareness.