Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

right speech and work

AMHAMH
edited July 2011 in General Banter
Hmm, it may be that my irritability is showing (over-tired, put my dog to sleep friday, and hot) however I found myself struggling with not being reactionary, or judgemental, at work today. This is my weekend job at a retail place, big store, I am often in the photo lab attached to the guest service (ie returns) desk. And today we were swamped! the previous day I called out because we had a grief day over the doggie.

The issue, people saying someone 'doesn't do any work' in front of others or gossiping it back to the person in question when they do not work in that area. One young man was so fed up with a young lady coming up and passing the message along that he needs to check X because so and so said he is not doing anything anyway that he told her off, okay in a really good way. He just told her why it may not have been him that missed a stain on some pants (it is his job to take care of defective items) and that it was not okay to pass that on. She continued her nyah nyah voice and he said he was going to pass this onto HR. I think that was pretty good. Then he left for another area and the person who took over immediatly said "A did nothing", when I pointed out that he had covered photo for me the day before in addition to doing his job while many things were breaking and helped around the store today she was not affected. She simply pointed out how many times he had help instead of maybe adjsuting her attitude that he 'does no work'.

First of all I don't know how to respond. I feel slimy to listen without comment to this. I have certainly made my own mistakes with right speech and gossip over the years. I want to respond in a way that is not judgmental of the person making the statement that "A does nothing" and also create an environment where people can question those assumptions. In my weekday 'real job' I am the manager so I can facilitate these kind of converstaions, not so much on the weekend. I just see hurt over and over, and radiating. In one of our awesome trainings this last week for my weekday job we talked about professionalism and how people do not leave companies, they leave people. My first idea really is to talk privately to the person who seems the most receptive, and then maybe talk to the new HR person about how this is rampant in the store about how we can start setting that expectation for how to handle issues that are not hurtful and gossip style. Any lovely ideas that are in line with the ideas of Right Speech (btw just keeping quiet is not my answer, I think that right speech includes speaking up skillfully as much as keeping quiet skillfully)