Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Awareness and Action

edited August 2011 in Buddhism Basics
I am reading a book called "The Mindful Way Through Depression" which has introduced me to the practice of being aware as an alternative to endless rumination. I find the practice hugely beneficial but I do have a few questions. I believe the idea of mindfulness comes from the Buddhist tradition so I thought I'd ask on here to see if there were any interesting teachings about my questions.

I guess when I was born I was the epitome of awareness (?). I didn't understand anything. I just looked and heard and tasted and felt without words, and my mind and body grew. Then through copying other people I learnt to speak and think and, in short, live. To live with all the customs and goals of society. Would Buddhism teach that these are false goals, that they are delusions? Sometimes if I am particularly stressed about something I take a moment to tell myself that nothing really matters at all. And then I go on to do what it was I was scared to do, paying attention to the moment. It was my becoming obsessed with 'goals' and 'outcomes' that led me to a cycle of self-analytical rumination and the associated depression.

Obviously we could be mindful in any situation, and it is beneficial to be so. We could be mindful whilst starving to death. We could be mindful whilst living a 'normal' life. We could be mindful whilst killing a child. Some of the 'worst' crimes are committed in a state of rage, and not mindfulness. But once we are mindful, what do we let guide us? Do we just do what feels right, which will be the instinctual result of all our experiences in life so far?

One major question I have since being introduced to the idea of mindfulness is: what should I engage in mindfully? Does Buddhism have any teachings on when to take action? Obviously a question like "when should I take action" can't be answered with a mathematical formula, but are there any guidelines? In my life at the moment I find myself doing things I enjoy, doing things because they are the 'done thing' and doing things to increase my chances of being comfortable in the future, based on past experience. It serves me well to be mindful in all these things I do. And through repeated mindful experience of the task and it's outcome, I guess I grow. But Monks, from the little I know, 'shouldn't' be driven by a desire to experience the same worldly pleasures again and again. What is their motivation to eat?

Thanks very much for your time :)

Comments

• I think you pose some great questions. Joseph Campbell says "follow your bliss" I struggled with what he meant by that until I rephrased it to, "follow your heart." For me this means to follow your soul, your true self or your true essence and even your passion. What gives you life? What inspires you? Follow these things rather than anything calculated by the mind. Other good questions are what depresses you? What takes away from life? Depression means loss of spirit as in dispirited. Inspiration contains the word spirit as well. What inspires you? That which inspires will leave depression behind. If you have spirit (life in you) how can you be dispirited. Intuition is often neglected- in our society where thought takes precedence. Learning to listen to your intuition and letting that guide you for awhile may be a fun experiment for you.
    Thank you for your questions they gave me a lot to think about. In responding to you, I am working out the questions for myself and hopefully my answers help guide you in some way to the answers that you seek.

Peace and blessings.
  • The core teaching of buddhism is that all suffering is caused by desire.
    We remain mindful of thoughts to not allow desires to take effect.
    All negative action is committed because of personal wants. If there are no desires then there are also no negative actions.
    It's not about wanting what's good and not wanting what's bad. It's about not wanting at all. Just being pure experience.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    What is their motivation to eat?
    Hunger, typically. The body needs what it needs.

I can see how being mindful has brought some questions! If you look around you, you're in a social setting that requires you to have money. So, earn some, but don't swim in piles of gold you hoard through greed. Your body needs food, but don't stuff it so full that you burst your stomach. You have desires, and just be mindful of them so they don't cause you to abandon your sense of morality.

One of the things you might need to let go of is the need to be pure. If you're looking for a set of morals that helps mindfulness and compassion, consider looking into the 5 precepts and the 8 fold path. They're a good start.

With warmth,

Matt
  • When I look at the suffering in my life, most of it was caused by unskillful actions that came from not being aware of things that lead to suffering.