Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Confucius said Reciprocity what would be Buddha's one word?

Comments

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited August 2011
    katannu-kataveti

kata = what has been done (for you)

annu = knowing

veti = feeling

katannu-kataveti = gratitude

:)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    "Simplify".
  • Although Dharma does have Reciprocity , the golden rule, it actually takes if farther than that. Metta is about treating others with more goodness than we would expect to be treated.

Reciprocity is a moral principle.

Metta is a spiritual/arrisen principle.

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Empathy
    129. All tremble at violence; all fear death. Putting oneself in the place of another, one should not kill nor cause another to kill.

130. All tremble at violence; life is dear to all. Putting oneself in the place of another, one should not kill nor cause another to kill.

Dhammapada
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Veludvareyya Sutta
  • Love
  • Conscience-and-concern (hiri-ottappa)
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    "Mu" :)
  • TalismanTalisman Veteran
    edited August 2011
    I wish I could speak pali, its conjuctive adjectives are so much better than english!
  • edited August 2011
    Compassion.

Without a doubt, if the Buddha had one word, I believe it would be compassion.

From http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/compassion ---

Compassion : a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering.

---

I think that pretty much sums up the essence of the Dhamma - suffering, and the path to alleviating it.

Kwan Kev
  • .;.

BREATHE

.:.

• "More dal please." (Okay, three words)
  • Śūnyatā
  • Doubt
  • auraaura Veteran
    edited September 2011
    beyond reciprocity, beyond sunyata...

metta!
  • edited September 2011
    Maybe compassion? Who knows.
  • Just smiling and holding a flower. No words.
  • Awaken!
  • I have this weird feeling like I shouldn't have said that word... like I interrupted the cosmic order of things by saying it. But I can't delete it.