Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist/Pali Calligraphy

edited August 2011 in Arts & Writings
Hi everyone :)

I am looking at getting an artwork made up, or making one up myself, of a Buddhist quote I am particularly fond of, and that I wish to display somewhere prominent to constantly remind myself of its message and meaning.

I am hoping to find someone who practices Pali calligraphy who could write/draw it up for me nicely, but more importantly: traditionally. I live in Sydney Australia and would prefer someone locally who I could consult, but would be more than happy to pay someone to send me something. If anyone knows of someone whom they could recommend, or at least point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated!

I believe this particular passage is from the "Bhaddekaratta" but I could stand corrected. It is as follows:

Atītaṃ nānvāgameyya, nappaṭikaṅkhe anāgataṃ;
Yadatītaṃ pahīnaṃ taṃ, appattañca anāgataṃ.
Paccuppannañca yo dhammaṃ, tattha tattha vipassati;
Asaṃhīraṃ asaṃkuppaṃ, taṃ vidvā manubrūhaye.
Ajjeva kiccamātappaṃ, ko jaññā maraṇaṃ suve;
Na hi no saṅgaraṃ tena, mahāsenena maccunā.
Evaṃ vihāriṃ ātāpiṃ, ahorattamatanditaṃ;
Taṃ ve bhaddekarattoti, santo ācikkhate muni

Which translates to:

You shouldn't chase after the past
or place expectations on the future.
What is past
is left behind.
The future
is as yet unreached.
Whatever quality is present
you clearly see right there,
right there.