Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

People Who Have Made a Difference In Your Life

edited February 2006 in General Banter
People who have made a difference in your life:

1. Name the five wealthiest people in the world.
2. Name the last five Heisman trophy winners.
3. Name the last five winners of the Miss World contest.
4. Name ten people who have won the Nobel or Pulitzer Prize.
5. Name the last half dozen Academy Award winner for best actor and actress.
6. Name the last decade's worth of Champions League winners.

How did you do?

The point is, none of us remember the headliners of yesterday. These are no second-rate achievers. They are the best in their fields.

But the applause dies. Awards tarnish.
Achievements are forgotten.
Accolades and certificates are buried with their owners.

Here's another quiz. See how you do on this one:

1. List a few teachers who aided your journey through school.
2. Name three friends who have helped you through a difficult time.
3. Name five people who have taught you something worthwhile.
4. Think of a few people who have made you feel appreciated and special.
5. Think of five people you enjoy spending time with.
6. Name half a dozen heroes whose stories have inspired you.

Easier?

The lesson:

The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.

balloon0fu.gifconfetti4zy.gif

Comments

• XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Dear Sartori,

This is a great thread-too bad no one has replied-well I am!

Yes it is quite correct, those that have made a difference to my life have cared-not been anyone famous, (But in my mind they are).

we need more replies people!

regards
  • edited February 2006
    Xrayman wrote:
    Dear Sartori,

This is a great thread-too bad no one has replied-well I am!

Yes it is quite correct, those that have made a difference to my life have cared-not been anyone famous, (But in my mind they are).

we need more replies people!

regards

Thank you, Xrayman! bigthanks6hb.gif

I found this on another forum and thought it was very interesting. Personally, I couldn't even answer any of the first six questions, but I could answer all of the next set. It really made me think about who and what are valuable in my life. Glad you liked it too. group21qp.gif
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Two people that were involved in a major epiphany I was having in life were:

Nelson Mandela
    Steven Biko.

The story of those two people really engaged me on whatever quest it is that I am on.

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    OH GO ON THEN

Miss Sturdy
    Olga Collier
    Mrs Duncan
    Lord Robin
    Marian Green
    Federica
    edited February 2006
    Knitwitch wrote:

Federica

;)

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    One day, you'll find out, and then you'll feel very , very , very silly.
  • edited February 2006
    My Babchi- for her everything
    My mother- her loving-kindness to all, her dedication to her faith and family
    Michael (the love of my life)-opened up a whole new world to me
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2006
    hey Sartori,

I thought about this thread for a day or two now..

There have been I suppose only three people in my life who have made a difference to me.

You are not going to believe this, but the were all secondary school teachers. yes sad i know-no family members or other friends (LOSER!)

One was my science teacher -taught me how to enjoy maths. Once that happened I understood it! AMAZING!

Another was my English teacher-I was a public speaking competition- competitor, up against snotty-nosed private school students-I won! woohoo (real confidence builder for a "loser" hahaha) he had the faith in me.

The last was a Canadian Social Studies teacher (something about those canadians-you know note: SG and Brigid) I was going to Europe and Asia with my parents when I was 14 and they asked every teacher about what work I should bring along (yea, THANKS MUM AND DAD!-NOT!)

He said "I can not give any work that will teach anything like the amount he's gonna learn when he sees how others live-he will learn to appreciate his own country and situation"-learn to realise just how lucky our country is (Australia is called the lucky country).

He WAS RIGHT! wow! I think I lost my arrogance gene when I saw some situations in Hong Kong and singapore! poor people there...

hope this post is okay.

regards all
  • edited February 2006
    1. Name the five wealthiest people in the world.
    Bill Gates, Paul Allen, Warren Buffet, L Mittal

2. Name the last five Heisman trophy winners.
    Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart, Jason White

3. Name the last five winners of the Miss World contest.
    No idea

4. Name ten people who have won the Nobel or Pulitzer Prize.
    Jimmy Carter, Kofi Annan, Harold Pinter, John Steinbeck, Albert Einstein, Harper Lee, John Updike, Ernest Hemingway, Margaret Mitchell, and of course the Dalai Lama

5. Name the last half dozen Academy Award winner for best actor and actress.
    Adrien Brody, Denzel Washington, Russel Crowe, Sean Penn, Nicole Kidman, Halle Berry, Charlie Theron

6. Name the last decade's worth of Champions League winners.
    Real Madrid...3 Times, Liverpool, FC Porto, AC Milan, Man United, Juventus, Bayern Munich

Do I win a prize?

To be honest with you, with a couple of exceptions (re: the later questions) not that many.... The one driving force - the common denominator - that has constantly been there to take the flak when the crap's hit the fan, has been....Me.
    Because no matter what the circumstances, no matter what the support, unless 'you' get tough and plough on, nobody's going to do it for you. You yourself have to live it and deal with it. I think it's far more important to recognise the qualities you know you've faced life with, rather than seeking whatever props got you there.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2006
    I was 23 and studying for my postgraduate diploma.

My tutor was a Quaker and I, bumptiously, asked him to tell me about Quaker beliefs. He had been the headmaster of a Quaker school and wrote on education and religion. He looked straight at me and said: "Forget all the nonsense. Here is what I believe: You are unique, uniquely valuable, never seen before and never to be seen again, and I meet God in you."

The hair still stands up on my neck when I remember it. So, Harold Loukes must be in my list.

My life has been a bit like a pinball machine and the bumpers, lights and flippers are the people I have met. They send me off in more or less useful directions, some absorbing me, some energising.

Nobody, since Harold, has set my nerve-endings tingling as much as the Dalai Lama.
  • edited February 2006
    One significant person was a man who was my first therapist (not that I have had that many!) and the man who introduced me to Buddhism. He was a social worker and I thought that helping people the way that he helped me was what I wanted to do with my life. Consequently, I became a social worker.
    edited February 2006
    What' odd about this post, is that most people write down the names of people that have brought about good, positive or noble experiences in our lives.

But we tend to forget those people that have affected our lives with their negative actions.

I was just sitting here thinking about how someone said something on a post this morning that I found negative, but gave me the opportunity to learn and practice my steps on the Path.

I know some people here that have had ugly experiences in their lives - and look where the sum of these good and bad experiences have brought you. Would you be here, on this Path, had it not been for those experiences?

Adversity, while it can be ugly, is one of the best teachers we have in life.

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    GOOD post, BF! Yes, it's absolutely true. The people who have had the most impact on my life were the ones who nearly drowned me and the ones who jumped in and dragged me to shore. I can't tell whose influence was the greater or more beneficial.

Now I'm learning how to swim! LOL!

Brigid
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    Love the armbands....!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    LOL!