Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

'what is the best way to practice buddhism? asked a young monk.... 'Sit on your backside and listen'

zenmystezenmyste Veteran
edited August 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Listen to what? asked the monk

'Yourself' replied the Master

He goes on:
''Buddha isnt the name of one man. It is something which we all are. We are all a Buddha. There isnt only 1 Buddha at a time. There can be millions at once.

The practice of real Buddhism is to practice the self and to practice the self is to study the self, And the best way to study the self is through sitting on your bum and listening to yourself. Get to know yourself truely and you will awaken my friends''

Comments

• Sounds like a Zen story. I like it!

• This is the only way, monks, for the purification of beings, for the overcoming of sorrow and lamentation, for the destruction of suffering and grief, for reaching the right path, for the attainment of Nibbana, namely, the four foundations of mindfulness.

I. THE CONTEMPLATION OF THE BODY
    II. THE CONTEMPLATION OF FEELING
    III. THE CONTEMPLATION OF MENTAL STATES
    IV. THE CONTEMPLATION OF MENTAL CONTENTS