Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hunger and the monkey mind

tmottestmottes Veteran
edited August 2011 in Philosophy
When I am hungry and my blood sugar is low, I notice that I stop thinking; but, I am also very zombie like. What are these long periods of silence in my head. Is it just a physical ailment that prevents me from being mindful and aware? Or is this actually a state of no monkey mind, but impermanent because it relies on the low blood sugar to be present?

Comments

• Do you suffer from clinical hypoglycemia? If not, then while your blood glucose may reach a low ebb of the normal range, if your liver is functioning normally, your blood glucose level should never reach a point where you become "out of it". Your body is designed such that when you've depleted the glucose you consumed in your last meal, and assuming you don't eat again within a reasonable time, your liver takes over and by one of several processes, makes new glucose from stores of glycogen it contains.

That said, I agree with you that sometimes it feels like low glucose levels cause me to space out. I don't think it has as much to do with actual blood glucose levels as it does with simply being tired - and more likely, dehydrated. I'd say about 98% of us walk around dehydrated most of the time to some extent. Try drinking some water next time you feel that way. Eating also undoubtedly helps.

It's a very real phenomenon though. Your brain tries to conserve energy, and in so doing, you get foggy.
  • When I am hungry and my blood sugar is low, I notice that I stop thinking; but, I am also very zombie like. What are these long periods of silence in my head. Is it just a physical ailment that prevents me from being mindful and aware? Or is this actually a state of no monkey mind, but impermanent because it relies on the low blood sugar to be present?
    In hunger, there is no mind to be considered a monkey. The strings of the guitar here are just too loose.
  • @Mountains, thanks for the thorough information. I haven't been diagnosed, but I am fairly certain I have a mild to moderate form of hypoglycemia. My father has similar issues, so I figured it is genetic. I am probably also dehydrated which I know can make it difficult for the body to make those more fine tune adjustments. I used to volunteer with kids with diabetes so I learned a ton about blood sugar, nutrition, and hydration, but not from a buddhist perspective.

@footiam I understand the instrument anology, but I am not sure I get the no mind portion of your reply.
  • @tmottes

Why do you allow yourself to get so hungry? Is there some sort of activity that is taking priority over your need to eat?

(FYI, from what I recall the brain is very sugar hungry. One of my former lecturers used to carry around pop for the purpose of keeping the brain 'alive'.)
  • I suppose when you are hungry, the mind is not to be relied on for it is not in the proper healthy state.
  • @ownerof1000oddsocks for some reason, I don't feel the hunger pains until it is too late and I am feeling hypoglycemic. It is like I am fine and then bam, spacey. I have noticed that caffeinne (coffee in particular) makes it worse , so I avoid it. I should just pay more attention to the whole process and then I might get better at seeing the more subtle signs.

I do try to carry a granola bar or something similar with me, but I am admittedly bad at being consistent.

@footiam I guess its just a good example of why we should take care of our bodies to get the most from buddhism.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    I have the same problem. I notice that I need to eat even a piece of bread in order to be okay.
  • I learned that if you want to help the effects of hyperglycemia that you should have a simple sugar (juice, glucose tabs, candies, etc) and a fat/protien to extend the effects and further stablize your blood sugar. I like to eat a spoon of peanut butter or a bit of cheese, with juice or sweedish fish, haha. To prevent it, you are supposed to eat at regular intervals.

• @footiam I guess its just a good example of why we should take care of our bodies to get the most from buddhism.
    Taking care of our body will ease some of our physical sufferings too.

• I wonder what the monks who eat all their meals before noon would say about this.