Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Two Questions While on the Path

edited August 2011 in Philosophy
1) What makes right view a "Right" "View"?

2) May we have verses shared in this discussion, which specify "right view" in scroll that will back the premise that is shared about it, please?

Respectfully, Yours:
SimpleWitness

Comments

• 1) What makes right view a "Right" "View"
    That depends on the level of abstraction you are referring to:

On an ontological level it is a view that is consistent with the Three Foundations of existence.

On an eitiological level it is a view that connects the ontological level with the causal reality.

On a mental level it is a view that sees experience in terms of the three foundations, ie, empty and interconnected.

On a moral level it is a view that connects the mental with the causal in a positive karmic sense, ie, kind, honest...

On a spiritual level it is a view that connects mindfulness with the above.

no doubt there are other levels and abstractions, but that's my take on it:)

Ultimately the right view leads to truth and happiness!

• aMattaMatt Veteran
    Right view is really just discerning what is the essential nature of what is around us. Truth or fabrication, cause of suffering and so forth.

Its described thoroughly:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.009.ntbb.html
  • @thickpaper
    1) What makes right view a "Right" "View"

On an ontological level it is a view that is consistent with the Three Foundations of existence.

Alright, let's start on an ontological level: My subscription is very limited to the branch of metaphysics that study the nature of existence and being. These days it seems that it leads to just too much "fluff" in it's argument for the existence of "god" and "perfection"; so on, and so forth...

If the three foundations of existence are in any way related to the three jewels, it would be more like simple common sense than ontologism; all the while, expressed by eloquent and symbolic words. It's poetic, really.

Kindly and Respectfully, thickpaper:
    SimpleWitness
  • @aMatt

The practice of the 'cessation of nutrient' understandable towards the right view in regards towards the understanding of being able to abandon craving, greed, and other ways of the unwholesome.

However, how long is this practiced without dealing harm to the body?

MN9:9-12

Nutriment

9. Saying, "Good, friend," the bhikkhus delighted and rejoiced in the Venerable Sariputta's words. Then they asked him a further question: "But, friend, might there be another way in which a noble disciple is one of right view... and has arrived at this true Dhamma?" — "There might be, friends.

10. "When, friends, a noble disciple understands nutriment, the origin of nutriment, the cessation of nutriment, and the way leading to the cessation of nutriment, in that way he is one of right view... and has arrived at this true Dhamma.

11. "And what is nutriment, what is the origin of nutriment, what is the cessation of nutriment, what is the way leading to the cessation of nutriment? There are these four kinds of nutriment for the maintenance of beings that already have come to be and for the support of those seeking a new existence. What four? They are physical food as nutriment, gross or subtle; contact as the second; mental volition as the third; and consciousness as the fourth. With the arising of craving there is the arising of nutriment. With the cessation of craving there is the cessation of nutriment. The way leading to the cessation of nutriment is just this Noble Eightfold Path; that is, right view, right intention, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness and right concentration.

12. "When a noble disciple has thus understood nutriment, the origin of nutriment, the cessation of nutriment, and the way leading to the cessation of nutriment, he entirely abandons the underlying tendency to greed, he abolishes the underlying tendency to aversion, he extirpates the underlying tendency to the view and conceit 'I am,' and by abandoning ignorance and arousing true knowledge he here and now makes an end of suffering. In that way too a noble disciple is one of right view, whose view is straight, who has perfect confidence in the Dhamma and has arrived at this true Dhamma."
  • KeyouseKeyouse Explorer
    edited August 2011
    Here are some great excerpts from 'The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching' by Thich Nhat Hanh

Chapter 9 'Right View'

"Right View is, first of all, a deep understanding of the Four Noble Truths -- our suffering, the making of our suffering, the fact that our suffering can be transformed, and the path of transformation. The Buddha said that Right View is to have faith and confidence that there are people who have been able to transform their suffering. Venerable Shariputra added that Right View is knowing which of the four kinds of nutriments that we have ingested have brought about what has come to be.

Shariputra described Right View as the ability to distinguish WHOLESOME ROOTS from UNWHOLESOME roots. In each of us, there are wholesome and unwholesome roots -- or seeds -- in the depths of our consciousness. If you are a loyal person, it is because the seed of loyalty is in you. But don't think that the seed of betrayal isn't also in you. If you live in an environment where your seed of loyalty is watered, you will be a loyal person. But if your seed of betrayal is watered, you may betray even those you love. You'll feel guilty about it, but if the seed of betrayal in you becomes strong, you may do it."

The practice of mindfulness [of Right View, etc.] helps us identify all the seeds in our store consciousness and water the ones that are the most wholesome.

[....] "Right View is the recognize which seeds are wholesome and to encourage those seeds to be watered."

[....] "At the base of our views are our perceptions..... the Buddha advised us not to be fooled by what we perceive. He told Subhuti, 'Where there is perception, there is deception.' The Buddha also taught on many occasions that most of our perceptions are erroneous, and that most of our suffering comes from wrong perceptions. We have to ask ourselves again and again, 'Am I sure?' Until we see clearly, our wrong perceptions will prevent us from having Right View.

To perceive always mean to perceive something. We believe that the object of our perception is outside of the subject, but that is not correct. When we perceive the moon, the moon is us. When we smile to our friend, our friend is also us, because she is the object of our perception.

When we perceive a mountain, the mountain is the object of our perception. When we perceive the moon, the moon is the object of our perception. When we say, 'I can see my consciousness in the flower,' it means we can see the cloud, the sunshine, the earth, and the minerals in it. But how can we see our consciousness in a flower? The flower IS our consciousness. It is the object of our perception. It is our perception. To perceive means to perceive something. Perception means the coming into existence of the perceiver and the perceived. The flower that we are looking at is part of our consciousness. The idea that our consciousness is outside of the flower has to be removed. It is impossible to have a subject without an object. It is impossible to remove on and retain the other.

The source of our perception, our way of seeing, lies in our store consciousness. If ten people look at a cloud, there will be ten different perceptions of it. Whether it is perceived as a dog, a hammer, or a coat depends on out mind -- our sadness, our memories, our anger. Our perceptions carry with them all the errors of subjectivity. Then we praise, blame, condemn, or complain depending on our perceptions. But our perceptions are made of our affliction -- craving, anger, ignorance, wrong views, and prejudice. Whether we are happy or we suffer depends largely on our perceptions. It is important to look deeply at our perceptions and know their source.

We have an idea of happiness. We believe that only certain conditions will make us happy. But it is often our very idea of happiness that prevents us from being happy. We have to look deeply into our perceptions in order to become free of them. Then, what has been a perception becomes an insight, a realization of the path. This is neither perception nor non-perception. It is a clear vision, seeing things are they are."

[....] "We can not explain an orange to someone who has never tasted on. No matter how well we describe it, we cannot give someone else the direct experience. He has to taste it for himself. As soon as we say a single word, he is already caught. Right View Cannot be described."

"Our happiness and the happiness of those around us depend on our degree of Right View. Touching reality deeply -- knowing what is going on inside and outside of ourselves -- is the way to liberate ourselves from the suffering that is caused by wrong perceptions. Right View is not an ideology, a system, or even a path. It is the insight we have into the reality of life, a living insight that fills us with understanding, peace, and love."

Hopefully this has helped! Definitely check out this book and the rest of this chapter!

Peace to you,
    Keyouse
  • @Keyouse

'The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching' by Thich Nhat Hanh
    From what was written, the book seems read worthy. I'll look it up.

You have helped shed light on some shaded areas, Keyouse. Thank you for sharing some understanding about the difference between right view and perception.

Respectful regards towards you, Keyouse:
    SimpleWitness
  • KeyouseKeyouse Explorer
    @SimpleWitness

I have yet to read it all, but the parts that I have are spoken with such clarity! I do suggest it! You are most welcome, SimpleWitness! That is what the Sangha is for.

Peace to you,
    Keyouse
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited August 2011
    The practice of the 'cessation of nutrient' understandable towards the right view in regards towards the understanding of being able to abandon craving, greed, and other ways of the unwholesome.

However, how long is this practiced without dealing harm to the body?
    I don't consider "the body stops eating" as the right view. It is abandoning any greed that arises from hunger, by letting go of the craving.

Hunger can cause an unsettled quality that motivates us. When we can see that we hunger for nutriment, we can bring about the cessation of craving for it. We still eat, senses are still active. It just wouldn't force its way in.

Perhaps just noticing the body is hungry vs "god, I need some freakin food".
  • edited August 2011
    @aMatt
    Soooo the reason for it echoes, "Craving is the cause of suffering."

This is attainable enough information for me!

Just to see what would happen, the conscious decision to let my body fast was made by me today. So far, there are many feelings that have been witnessed. It started out as craving resulting in edgy mood swings, frustration, all the while, with distracted thought patterns. My senses were just wacky during the craving to eat.

Now, all that is felt is the hunger pangs, however, there are no cravings to eat. It's curious how long this fasting really can go. It will not be done full-fledged until there is certainty that the body will not be harmed, but it is simple to imagine how long this can be done.

From this, laughably, it taught that craving is short lived, that forbearance is a blessing, and that fulfillment is simpler to achieve without craving. Craving is a very unnecessary emotion.

Thank you, aMatt. You have aided my understanding.

Now its time to meditate, go to bed, and make a huge breakfast in the morning with the kids.

:D

• thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited August 2011
    @thickpaper
    1) What makes right view a "Right" "View"

@SimpleWitness

>>>Alright, let's start on an ontological level: My subscription is very limited to the branch of metaphysics that study the nature of existence and being.

Yes, that's ontology to me. And in the Dhjarmic sense it is very clear, it can be expressed as answers to the question: What statements are true of all things that exist?

The answers are the three seals of existence. These are true of all things, from quarks and galaxies to experience and love.

So Right Understanding needs, I think at the bare minimum, to start with these three principles. The rest builds on that understanding.

>>>These days it seems that it leads to just too much "fluff" in it's argument for the existence of "god" and "perfection"; so on, and so forth...

The ontological argument for god is theology not ontology, but point taken.

>>>If the three foundations of existence are in any way related to the three jewels

Surely it is clear to see they are underpinning the Dharma, every aspect?

>>>it would be more like simple common sense than ontologism;

It is very simple and very common sense. If you were to spend ten minutes in dialectic with any stranger, child, adult asking "What statements are true of all things?" you would arrive at at least Impermanence and emptiness (This is a great exercise that I urge you to try)

namase
  • @aMatt
    It's curious how long this fasting really can go. It will not be done full-fledged until there is certainty that the body will not be harmed, but it is simple to imagine how long this can be done.

in 'kitagiri sutta (Majjima nikaya) Buddha says 'having one meal a day gives five advantages to a person'

one of the advantage is that it helps in meditation (insight and concentration both)

that one meal also should be taken considering as ' flesh of one's son'
    then one is not eating for fun (no craving for food), but just having food to live until one understands Dhamma

• @aMatt
    It's curious how long this fasting really can go. It will not be done full-fledged until there is certainty that the body will not be harmed, but it is simple to imagine how long this can be done.

in 'kitagiri sutta (Majjima nikaya) Buddha says 'having one meal a day gives five advantages to a person'

one of the advantage is that it helps in meditation (insight and concentration both)

that one meal also should be taken considering as ' flesh of one's son'
    then one is not eating for fun (no craving for food), but just having food to live until one understands Dhamma

OH! Wow! This can be seen during and after the experience of fasting! After the suffering of craving went away, the fast is broken with a sensible portion of brown rice, tofu, corn tortilla, and spring mix with dressing before midday. The sustenance of nutrients can really be felt in the blood, like a rush through the body. The rush was that of joy and fulfillment. The mind was sharpened with the senses. Aught that was done was effortless. There is a deepened awareness in the view of cessation. This is a wholesome virtue that makes my feelings very enthusiastic.

My gratitude for sharing this knowledge with me, @upekka

Metta

:D
  • Right view:

Understanding what is suffering.
    Understanding the causes of suffering.
    Understanding how suffering ends.
    Living the eightfold path.

metta

• I believe that this is a question of, "if there is no right or wrong"; what is the "right" view? In my own opinion; I feel the use of "right" is dependent upon the individual, and what the individual can justify and be responsible for, within their own practice. What may be "right" for me, may not be "right" for anyone else. These are not black and white teachings but very grey, and it is up to the individual to come to their own conclusions. For me, it's an understanding that there is suffering, understanding the base causes of suffering, and how "I" as a responsible being can end my suffering through my own thoughts, words, and actions.

• I believe that this is a question of, "if there is no right or wrong"; what is the "right" view? In my own opinion; I feel the use of "right" is dependent upon the individual, and what the individual can justify and be responsible for, within their own practice. What may be "right" for me, may not be "right" for anyone else. These are not black and white teachings but very grey, and it is up to the individual to come to their own conclusions. For me, it's an understanding that there is suffering, understanding the base causes of suffering, and how "I" as a responsible being can end my suffering through my own thoughts, words, and actions.

My view shares commonality with this, as well. As a result of that, it most often makes me the quietest one in the room when views are discussed.

:P
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2011
    "Right View" can also be translated as "Correct View", and it's relative... it's not just some absolute thrown out there. It means seeing reality clearly, as it is, which releases the mind from craving and ignorance. It is "Wisdom".

Right View leads to liberation from suffering, and it is liberation from suffering that is what the Buddha taught (and why).
  • Right view:

Understanding what is suffering.
    Understanding the causes of suffering.
    Understanding how suffering ends.
    Living the eightfold path.

metta

Agreed, driedleaf! :D

Seeing this shows how all of the paths are interconnected. When one is practiced many others follow as if it were some cause and effect design. This brings me joy to notice. Thank you for sharing this.

Metta @driedleaf
  • edited September 2011
    "Right View" can also be translated as "Correct View", and it's relative... it's not just some absolute thrown out there. It means seeing reality clearly, as it is, which releases the mind from craving and ignorance. It is "Wisdom".
    @Cloud
    "Seeing reality clearly." This is the sight and it is practical when allowing the mind to release thought in order to look and listen from the greater picture, with the posture of intent of benefiting joy for all from the bigger picture, true?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2011
    I'm not sure that I understand what you mean, @SimpleWitness, unless what you mean is the intent of non-suffering for all.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited September 2011
    This is a wholesome virtue that makes my feelings very enthusiastic.

This is Right effort, Right View and Right Mindfulness which leads to Right concentration
    and
    Right concentration helps in gaining Noble Right View (Wisdom)

(This is the meditation on Noble Eightfold Path which will lead us to Noble Right View if we are still worldlings)

This is the meditation on Noble Eightfold Path which lead us to Nibbana if there already is the Noble Right View

• edited September 2011
    I'm not sure that I understand what you mean, @SimpleWitness, unless what you mean is the intent of non-suffering for all.
    @Cloud
    My comment meant: right view is the sight of awareness that is brought upon suffering until one is consciously able to make a mindful decision, which benefits the end of suffering, or joy, for all from the greater picture. Is this correct?

Sorry about the cryptic communication. My thumbs went key happy again and press "post comment" too soon. :P
  • I still don't really understand, it must be the way you're phrasing it. ;) Right View just means Wisdom. It is the clear seeing of reality as it is, which leads the mind to unbinding... ceasing its craving, ceasing its suffering.
  • @Cloud

hmmm...... There's one to grow on. So much for keeping it simple this time, eh? Haha! Thanks for pointing that out, Cloud. :bowdown:
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Anytime @SimpleWitness. I figure if we keep talking even if we don't understand each other, eventually we'll both figure it out! :D
  • Right View also refers to having a correct understanding of the Buddha's teachings, of the precepts, and so forth. The Buddha gave teachings and explanations of what was Right View, and what wasn't.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2011
    @Dakini
    To add to that, I would say it's helpful to think of there being two stages of Right View, conceptual (mundane) and experiential (supramundane). The conceptual Right View includes concepts such as the Four Noble Truths, Not-Self, Impermanence and Dukkha (etc.)... the experiential includes the mind directly experiencing the truth of these concepts. Experiential insight is beyond words and thought, where we no longer need to cling to concepts because we see the truth clearly. Both of these stages of Right View are linked; one flows into the other, we must have an initial understanding of the teachings to help us see reality through our own efforts.

Our initial understanding directs the mind toward the experiential wisdom... then we just have to walk the Path to get there! :D The better we try to understand these concepts, the better we practice meditation to see for ourselves, well, the better. ;)
  • edited September 2011
    @Dakini
    To add to that, I would say it's helpful to think of there being two stages of Right View, conceptual (mundane) and experiential (supramundane). The conceptual Right View includes concepts such as the Four Noble Truths, Not-Self, Impermanence and Dukkha (etc.)... the experiential includes the mind directly experiencing the truth of these concepts. Experiential insight is beyond words and thought, where we no longer need to cling to concepts because we see the truth clearly. Both of these stages of Right View are linked; one flows into the other, we must have an initial understanding of the teachings to help us see reality through our own efforts.

Our initial understanding directs the mind toward the experiential wisdom... then we just have to walk the Path to get there! :D The better we try to understand these concepts, the better we practice meditation to see for ourselves, well, the better. ;)
    @Dakini @Cloud
    So, there is simplicity on a path that strengthens in its complexities? It is uncertain to me as to weather my question makes sense or not.
  • you can read all you want about learning how to ride the bicycle. you can watch youtube videos. you can watch others do it. you can get a phd on it. you can also read a lot of commentary on how to ride that bicycle. you can day dream about it and you can examine and talk about it all you want.

at the end of the day you're going to ride it. you're going to do it all by yourself. you're going to experience it. some of the information you've acquired is going to help you and some of it is not. the practical advice will probably help. the rest will fall away if not needed. and of course you'll figure out what works for yourself. not everyone rides the bike the same way.
    we all fall off and break our bones and we all eventually learn how to ride if effortlessly. it just takes time and a willingness to throw ourselves into the fire of bicycle riding.

theory is meaningness until actualized. once actualized theory makes sense, but is ultimately used only as a method of teaching. you already learned how to ride the bike. now you're compelled to teach others, so you try your best. but you know damn well that allowing others to ride the bike and experience it is the only way. but you give them tips and hints along the way.

metaphors.
  • you can read all you want about learning how to ride the bicycle. you can watch youtube videos. you can watch others do it. you can get a phd on it. you can also read a lot of commentary on how to ride that bicycle. you can day dream about it and you can examine and talk about it all you want.

at the end of the day you're going to ride it. you're going to do it all by yourself. you're going to experience it. some of the information you've acquired is going to help you and some of it is not. the practical advice will probably help. the rest will fall away if not needed. and of course you'll figure out what works for yourself. not everyone rides the bike the same way.
    we all fall off and break our bones and we all eventually learn how to ride if effortlessly. it just takes time and a willingness to throw ourselves into the fire of bicycle riding.

theory is meaningness until actualized. once actualized theory makes sense, but is ultimately used only as a method of teaching. you already learned how to ride the bike. now you're compelled to teach others, so you try your best. but you know damn well that allowing others to ride the bike and experience it is the only way. but you give them tips and hints along the way.

metaphors.
    Lol! That is such a good analogy @taiyaki! It is worth keeping. Much gratitude. It brings so much joy to experience the path now.

Metta to you taiyaki!
  • Here are some great excerpts from 'The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching' by Thich Nhat Hanh

Chapter 9 'Right View'

"Right View is, first of all, a deep understanding of the Four Noble Truths -- our suffering, the making of our suffering, the fact that our suffering can be transformed, and the path of transformation. The Buddha said that Right View is to have faith and confidence that there are people who have been able to transform their suffering. Venerable Shariputra added that Right View is knowing which of the four kinds of nutriments that we have ingested have brought about what has come to be.

Shariputra described Right View as the ability to distinguish WHOLESOME ROOTS from UNWHOLESOME roots. In each of us, there are wholesome and unwholesome roots -- or seeds -- in the depths of our consciousness. If you are a loyal person, it is because the seed of loyalty is in you. But don't think that the seed of betrayal isn't also in you. If you live in an environment where your seed of loyalty is watered, you will be a loyal person. But if your seed of betrayal is watered, you may betray even those you love. You'll feel guilty about it, but if the seed of betrayal in you becomes strong, you may do it."

The practice of mindfulness [of Right View, etc.] helps us identify all the seeds in our store consciousness and water the ones that are the most wholesome.

[....] "Right View is the recognize which seeds are wholesome and to encourage those seeds to be watered."

[....] "At the base of our views are our perceptions..... the Buddha advised us not to be fooled by what we perceive. He told Subhuti, 'Where there is perception, there is deception.' The Buddha also taught on many occasions that most of our perceptions are erroneous, and that most of our suffering comes from wrong perceptions. We have to ask ourselves again and again, 'Am I sure?' Until we see clearly, our wrong perceptions will prevent us from having Right View.

To perceive always mean to perceive something. We believe that the object of our perception is outside of the subject, but that is not correct. When we perceive the moon, the moon is us. When we smile to our friend, our friend is also us, because she is the object of our perception.

When we perceive a mountain, the mountain is the object of our perception. When we perceive the moon, the moon is the object of our perception. When we say, 'I can see my consciousness in the flower,' it means we can see the cloud, the sunshine, the earth, and the minerals in it. But how can we see our consciousness in a flower? The flower IS our consciousness. It is the object of our perception. It is our perception. To perceive means to perceive something. Perception means the coming into existence of the perceiver and the perceived. The flower that we are looking at is part of our consciousness. The idea that our consciousness is outside of the flower has to be removed. It is impossible to have a subject without an object. It is impossible to remove on and retain the other.

The source of our perception, our way of seeing, lies in our store consciousness. If ten people look at a cloud, there will be ten different perceptions of it. Whether it is perceived as a dog, a hammer, or a coat depends on out mind -- our sadness, our memories, our anger. Our perceptions carry with them all the errors of subjectivity. Then we praise, blame, condemn, or complain depending on our perceptions. But our perceptions are made of our affliction -- craving, anger, ignorance, wrong views, and prejudice. Whether we are happy or we suffer depends largely on our perceptions. It is important to look deeply at our perceptions and know their source.

We have an idea of happiness. We believe that only certain conditions will make us happy. But it is often our very idea of happiness that prevents us from being happy. We have to look deeply into our perceptions in order to become free of them. Then, what has been a perception becomes an insight, a realization of the path. This is neither perception nor non-perception. It is a clear vision, seeing things are they are."

[....] "We can not explain an orange to someone who has never tasted on. No matter how well we describe it, we cannot give someone else the direct experience. He has to taste it for himself. As soon as we say a single word, he is already caught. Right View Cannot be described."

"Our happiness and the happiness of those around us depend on our degree of Right View. Touching reality deeply -- knowing what is going on inside and outside of ourselves -- is the way to liberate ourselves from the suffering that is caused by wrong perceptions. Right View is not an ideology, a system, or even a path. It is the insight we have into the reality of life, a living insight that fills us with understanding, peace, and love."

Hopefully this has helped! Definitely check out this book and the rest of this chapter!

Peace to you,
    Keyouse
    @Keyouse

So, seeing things just for what they are IS right view. It is so easy to let my perception see and define. Thank you.

Deep Peace
  • This article on Right View is actually quite good.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sammaditthi_Sutta#Supramundane_right_view