Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Nonduality of buddhahood and ordinary life...

zenmystezenmyste Veteran
edited August 2011 in Philosophy
Ordinary life and buddhahood have no distinction. Great knowledge is not different from ignorance.
Why should one seek outwardly for a treasure,when the field of the body has its own bright jewel?

The right way and wrong ways are not two..
when perfectly known, ordinary and sage are on the same road. illusion and enlightenment originally have no distrinction, nirvana and samsara are one suchness.

in the final analysis,clinging to objects is empty and null. only seek clear spaciousness of mind and thought. There is not a single thing that can be attained. serenely, spontaneously, you enter the ultimate....

*Thanks for reading* Any thoughts on it or??? :)

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Is this your writing, or a quotation/reference?
  • Is this your writing, or a quotation/reference?
    Sorry i didnt made it clear. No its not mine. I just wanted your opinions on it.
    Its very old by a Zen master.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2011
    Link....?

It would be nice to see what else this "Zen Master" has to say. :)
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    Its very old by a Zen master.
    I would also like to know who. Thanks!
  • ordinary mind is zen mind but zen mind isn't zen mind until zen mind itself discovers itself.
    i feel like i've read or listened to this before, but again it is on the money so it is just ringing truth in my mind.
  • samsara is mistaking projections for real. nirvana is not doing that. they are suchness in the same way that when the light is switched on it is not switched off. But how interesting is that categorization?
  • "And what, monks, is right effort?

[i] "There is the case where a monk generates desire, endeavors, activates persistence, upholds & exerts his intent for the sake of the non-arising of evil, unskillful qualities that have not yet arisen.

[ii] "He generates desire, endeavors, activates persistence, upholds & exerts his intent for the sake of the abandonment of evil, unskillful qualities that have arisen.

[iii] "He generates desire, endeavors, activates persistence, upholds & exerts his intent for the sake of the arising of skillful qualities that have not yet arisen.

[iv] "He generates desire, endeavors, activates persistence, upholds & exerts his intent for the maintenance, non-confusion, increase, plenitude, development, & culmination of skillful qualities that have arisen: This, monks, is called right effort."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sacca/sacca4/samma-vayamo/ :confused:
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited August 2011

when perfectly known
    Key words right there IMO. :)

I would prefer to see quotes like this taken in the below context, because that is how they are meant to be taken:

"Zen is always and only about the Ultimate, what the Buddha called "supreme, perfect, unexcelled Bodhi [Awakening]."
    "And what, monks, is right effort?

That is very true.:) However, quotes like this refer to people, and only people, who have already done all this and finished all of it.

• Hence the doctrine of 2 truths: mundane and supramundane. :)
  • @zenmyste - Nice! You still haven't said who you quoted it from though?

This topic of non-duality reminds me of a Mahāyāna text, where a group of 32 bodhisattvas came together to discuss this very topic.

One of their number said, "Many wise people think that there is birth and there is death. However, things originally were not born, therefore they do not die. To enter the gate of non-duality means to gain the tranquility of mind that comes of the understanding that 'things are not born.'"

Other bodhisattvas begin to deny other concepts like good and evil, pure and defiled, samsāra and nibbāna. In the end they appeal to Mañjuśrī [embodiment of wisdom] who says, "In my way of thinking, nothing can be said, explained, shown, or discerned about anything at all. Being detached from all questions and answers is to enter in to the gate of non-duality." His reply overwhelms the answers of all the bodhisattvas.

He then turns to Vimalakirti [layman] and asks, "Everyone has finished. It is now your turn. What is the meaning of entering the gate of non-duality?" Vimalakirti says nothing, sending a roar of silence. Mañjuśrī praises him, "Wonderful, wonderful! You use neither letters or speech. That indeed is what it truly means to enter the gate of non-duality!"

This is from the Vimalakīrti Nirdeśa Sūtra, Chapter 9: The Dharma-Door of Non-duality. Anyone interested can check it out here.
  • Thanks everyone! Sorry I haven't wrote back. Something must be wrong with my notifications.
    Anyway, I'm not sure who the master was unfortunately.
    Its just in a book of zen quotes and talks but doesn't say who said it.
    After the verse it just says ~zen master~
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Pao-Chih, is the name of the master, says mother Google
  • Pao-Chih, is the name of the master, says mother Google
    On behalf of everyone. Thanks Sova! ill look him up :) x
  • edited August 2011
    Umm..is proper context :p
    Silent the silenceness is the ordinariness :thumbsup: