Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What should I do?

edited February 2006 in General Banter
I've recently started thinking of what I should do with my life, how it will go, where it will lead.

I'm living with my girlfriend, whom I love and don't want to hurt.
But I feel something is missing.

Lately I began reading the Dhammapada and started to examine myself and my life.

I'm wondering if perhaps becoming a Bikkhu is the right place to go?
I don't want to jump into anything too quickly, but I get a real sense of happiness and relief when I think of becoming a monk.

I wouldn't be doing to escape my problems in life or anything like that, I have a relatively good, happy life. It just feels like there's a big piece of the puzzle missing.

I feel a bit like Siddartha did when he first left the palace.

Does anyone have anything they'd like to ask or add to this?

Thank you.

Comments

• edited February 2006
    For you getting ordained is not the right way to go. What you feel is missing is right there in the middle of your life as it is now.
  • edited February 2006
    I don't think getting ordained is the right or wrong way to go, I'm not saying I will or won't investigate becoming ordained, it's something I feel interested in, not for an escape from modern life, but to help myself.

And if I come to realize that it isn't the right way for me to go and that staying a lay practitioner is the right way for me, then I'll continue to cultivate my happiness as I can, perhaps even just a weekend retreat or week long retreat could help open my eyes to which way is right?
  • edited February 2006
    Only one person can truly tell you (or anyone) what you should do. And that is you.
    I would suggest that you take time to carefully consider your future. If you feel the way of the Bikkhu is the right way for you, then so be it.

However, (IMO) one does not have to be a Bikkhu to truly practice Buddhism. I think you can achieve this in life, as is.

But, end of the day, this is your life, and you know best. Have confidence and faith in yourself.

Lastly, does your girlfriend have any views on this topic? (I ask this because your decisions may impact her life and this is an important consideration).

Whatever it is you decide, good luck and may you achieve your aspirations.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2006
    Craig,

First off, what you are experiencing sounds a lot like samvega (spiritual urgency/chastened dispassion). If it is, it is a good sign. It means that the dust is not as thick as it could be. Perhaps you may want to read Affirming the Truths of the Heart.

Secondly, I know exactly what you mean. I have been in the very same position that you are now finding yourself in. My advice: "If you truly "love" her, then be with her. If you do not truly love her, then being with her is not doing either one of you any good." I once thought I was ready to become a bhikkhu, but I later found that I was not. I still cared too much for someone to simply leave them behind. Perhaps it is more of an attachement than love, I don't really know, but I would suffer horribly without them [knowing that they feel the same about me]. If we were not together I would certainly be ordained, but until we no longer love each other I cannot imagine life without her.

Thirdly, do not jump to the conclusion that ordaining is the way to go [which doesn't sound like the case, but... there is certainly nothing wrong with being a dedicated lay-follower]. Take a lot of time to think about it. Spend weeks or months at a time living at a temple [either for retreats or just extended stays] before you even think about ordaining. Rash decisions are usually the worst kind [ as you could unintentionally hurt many people close to you, as well as yourself]. If you cannot practice half as dilegently as they do now, then you probably should not consider it as an option for some time. By this I mean that you should already at least be able to eat and sleep moderately, meditate often, study the Suttas, and be mentally stable enough to endure a lot of negative emotions. The monastic life is very difficult and lonely at times. As easy and carefree as it sometimes seems, it is certainly not. It takes all of you time, devoution, and energy. Bhikkhus do not have "weekends". They pracitce every single day of their lives. It is a very serious commitment.

And lastly, all I can say is that you should certainly follow your heart, but follow it at some distance. Don't just jump blindly into a decision which could cause you a lot of unnecessary unhappiness in the long run. If you really feel that ordination is an option for you, take at least a few years of serious study and practice [as well as discussing it with your family] before you take the next step. In time, you will know what is the right thing for you to do. Don't be too complacent, but don't be too careless either. Patience and mindfulness should be your guides here. That has been my own experience, and I hope that it will help you in some way.

:)

Jason
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    Elohim.... What have you decided....?
  • edited February 2006
    Craig..at one time when I had to think about leaving a relationship, rather than think 'I love her'...ask yourelf, "Am I IN love with her?" There is a big difference. For me, thinking in this way shed a new light on the situation.

Good luck to you.
    edited February 2006
    Fede,

Isn't it obvious?

:confused:

Jason
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    Sorry Jason... I didn't know what your time-line was.... or how soon you were supposed to take this up.
    edited February 2006
    Fede,

Are we talking about the same thing?

:wtf:

Jason
    edited February 2006
    weren't you invited to go abroad for four years to study and ordain, or something? Sorry to be vague... I can't find the post...
  • edited February 2006
    That's what I thought too, Jason. I thought you were asked to go study abroad.
  • edited February 2006
    Craig..at one time when I had to think about leaving a relationship, rather than think 'I love her'...ask yourelf, "Am I IN love with her?" There is a big difference. For me, thinking in this way shed a new light on the situation.

Good luck to you.

Biggest bit of common sense I heard in a long time SG! Applause! Applause!
    edited February 2006
    All,

Ok, I see the confusion now...

I was referring to what happened a few years ago in this thread, not the recent offer to attend Mahachulalongkorn University. A few years ago I was living at a Thai monastery training to become a bhikkhu. I was learning Thai, Pali, rules of monastic life, etc. Although I knew that I wanted to do this, I was simply not ready to do it just then. As for the offer to go to the University, that turned out to be unavailable. The reason was that only the Masters degree program was in English, and not the Bachelors. I simply could not attend.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

:)

Jason
    edited February 2006
    I'm sorry to hear that... But it therefore obviously decided things for you....

OK. Glad you're still with us. :)
  • edited February 2006
    Likewise.