Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Obama: Sucess or Failure

zidanguszidangus Veteran
edited August 2011 in General Banter
Ok so first of all I will point out I am British, so it would be nice to hear what Americans actually think about Obama's time in office, has he made a big difference to your country, has he came through with the promises he made to get elected? , is your country that much better off now than in the Bush era ? do you think/hope that Obama wins a second term ? and what are the current alternatives to Obama, could a tea party candidate become president (scary thought IMO) ?

P.S if non Americans want to contribute their opinion, feel free also :D

Comments

• I'm going to vote for Obama because I also think the tea party is scary. I hope the tea party drives people who have never voted or been interested in politics to the polls and we can win the next election.
  • American politics are a joke. Republicans and democrats are two sides of the same coin. You can have your rights taken away using social justifications or security justifications, that is truly what your vote does. The tea party represents the america public's frustrations with its current government. It isn't something to fear, because the political system will break and reshape the candidate anyway, it will die off soon. America needs to hit a critical mass of people that realize control and punishment results in a society about control and punishment.

Policies like locking away drug users with violent criminals (yes, this might include drug users also) seems quite wrong. When a person goes to jail for non-violent drug charge, you basically take somebody who is trying to put something into their bodies and force them to learn to live in a violent society, which more often than not results in instilling violent tendencies in that person. Lisbon, Portugal has completely decriminalized all drug use and the police generally turn a blind eye to such personal and public usage. They actually saw a decline in drug use and violence related to drug use. They focused on drug use as a disease and opted to spend money on treatment instead of imprisonment.

When will we (Americans) see a president that proposes such an innovative idea, have it be a positive voting platform, and then actually follow through after being elected? The point is that neither major candidate will ever do something like that. This is why I generally vote for the libertarian candidate; although people call it a waste of a vote, I call it my vote. If more people thought for themselves and found a candidate that closely matched their views rather than just hopping on board with one of the major parties because of a few issues, or even worse by name only, then we might have an actual choice with our vote. For now, I will vote my vote of no confidence.

As for what Obama has/n't done... eh. He said he would shut down the Guantanamo Bay military prison, that didn't happen. His stimulus package didn't do much for the people, more the companies. The wars are still going on. I doubt the president has as much influence as most people think. It takes a great leader to get things done in this country because he/she has to work with a lot of other people and within our constitution to achieve his/her goals. Obama isn't as strong of a leader as the media and hype made him out to be. Its a very stressful job which requires wisdom and charisma. Obama only seems to have the latter.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited August 2011
    The President's hands are very much tied by Congress. And despite what people think, the opposition party, particularly in the Senate, can hamstring things with procedural maneuvering. The Republicans are masters at this. The Democrats have done it too, but nowhere *near* like what the GOP has.

I think Obama has done a good job, given who he has had to work with (a bunch of egotistical spoiled brats at the other end of Pennsylvania Avenue), but he can only do so much. I think he truly believed he could do more than it turns out he's really able to do, given the system in which he is trapped.

No matter who the GOP puts forward, I will vote for Obama, since I so vehemently disagree with everything the GOP stands for in this day and age. I would vote for a pygmy goat before I'd vote for any of the potential GOP candidates.

I think the so-called "tea party" (the use of that name really galls me, since the original tea partiers were truly patriots, not ideological zealots like these folks) is a flash in the pan, and will soon disappear. At least I pray so. They would like to eviscerate the government without giving a thought to the implications. They've already thrown us into the financial mess we find ourselves in today because of their intransigence on something as simple as the debt ceiling.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited August 2011
    I agree w/both Mts. & tmottes on Obama. The Republicans are determined to wreck the country, and to derail Obama's presidency. not helpful. But Obama is too young and inexperienced as well, he's not a strong leader. He doesn't know how to use what used to be called "the bully pulpit" to push measures through, or to stand up to opposition party bullying himself.

Obama's stimulus package didn't work because of opposition in Congress to spending. There's also the matter that Bush Jr. left the country with a trashed economy, so spending a lot on a stimulus was a tricky issue. If Bush hadn't wrecked the economy with tax cuts for the rich and for corporations, and by starting wars, the US would have had the resources to spend on an effective stimulus package.

RE: who to vote for: what other sane option is there, when the Republicans are on the other half of the ballot?

P.S. John Kerry won the last election against Bush, according to investigations by Congress. If he'd taken the Presidency, things would be a lot different now.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    The President's hands are very much tied by Congress. And despite what people think, the opposition party, particularly in the Senate, can hamstring things with procedural maneuvering. The Republicans are masters at this. The Democrats have done it too, but nowhere *near* like what the GOP has.

I think Obama has done a good job, given who he has had to work with (a bunch of egotistical spoiled brats at the other end of Pennsylvania Avenue), but he can only do so much. I think he truly believed he could do more than it turns out he's really able to do, given the system in which he is trapped.

No matter who the GOP puts forward, I will vote for Obama, since I so vehemently disagree with everything the GOP stands for in this day and age. I would vote for a pygmy goat before I'd vote for any of the potential GOP candidates.

I think the so-called "tea party" (the use of that name really galls me, since the original tea partiers were truly patriots, not ideological zealots like these folks) is a flash in the pan, and will soon disappear. At least I pray so. They would like to eviscerate the government without giving a thought to the implications. They've already thrown us into the financial mess we find ourselves in today because of their intransigence on something as simple as the debt ceiling.
    Well put, Mountains!

• zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited August 2011

P.S. John Kerry won the last election against Bush, according to investigations by Congress. If he'd taken the Presidency, things would be a lot different now.

Really ???? I thought that was Gore who really beat bush in 2000 not Kerry in 2004 ??
    :confused:
    edited August 2011
    It seems so far that most of you think that Obama has been limited in what he can do because the, democrats do not have a majority in the house, hence, because there are such big differences in the ideology of a lot of policies between democrats and republicans , nothing gets done, and your left with governmental gridlock.

In the UK if this happened (government could not pass the laws it wants/not pass legislation) there would be another election called until there was a government with a majority (coalition or single party) in the house of commons, and government could operate effectively.

So another question to ask is, does the political system in America need overhauling to a system that is more effective ? I mean what is the point of a president if they can be stuck in a situation (as with the recent economic situation) where they are in effect lame ducks who do not have the power to pass their own legislation ?
    It seems so far that most of you think that Obama has been limited in what he can do because the, democrats do not have a majority in the house, hence, because there are such big differences in the ideology of a lot of policies between democrats and republicans , nothing gets done, and your left with governmental gridlock.

In the UK if this happened (government could not pass the laws it wants/not pass legislation) there would be another election called until there was a government with a majority (coalition or single party) in the house of commons, and government could operate effectively.

So another question to ask is, does the political system in America need overhauling to a system that is more effective ? I mean what is the point of a president if they can be stuck in a situation (as with the recent economic situation) where they are in effect lame ducks who do not have the power to pass their own legislation ?
    I don't think so. I can't speak for GB, but Thailand also had the Parliament form of government, and it was a mess. And then when an election was called, everything was sort of put on hold for weeks or months. Then, sometimes it took more weeks to form the coalitions.

• It seems so far that most of you think that Obama has been limited in what he can do because the, democrats do not have a majority in the house, hence, because there are such big differences in the ideology of a lot of policies between democrats and republicans , nothing gets done, and your left with governmental gridlock.

The American system was made inefficient on purpose. I was told by a member of the senate once that you (meaning the american citizens) don't want the government to be efficient at passing laws. We would have too many laws to try and follow (we already do). The beauty in the American system is the checks and balances that it provides to prevent tyranny.

There are three branches of federal government (executive, ie the president; legislative, senate and congress; and judicial, courts) which are all given the responsibility of preventing any one branch from exerting too much power. Sometimes one branch fails at that job (more often than not it is congress not exerting its power over the president), which is why the third branch is there. I suggest that the constitution be amended to specifically point out that the citizens of the USA are the fourth branch of government. It is the apathy and ignorance of the people that has allowed corporations to buy and control this country. The federal government SHOULD be the least important and the least known. Local governments are far more important, but disregarded now-a-days.

The federal government was not designed to rule the country, but to resolve disputes between states, protect the countries borders, and a few other functions. The idea was, with a large land mass and various "ideologies" on how to live life, that local governments could best fulfill the needs of the people of that area. The American public has allowed the federal government to be highjacked and are suffering the consequences of it now.

I would rather have a gridlocked government than one on EITHER side that can get all they want done. There are more ideologies than democrat and republican, and I will be damned if I am going to be forced into either one of those camps. Imagine if you were given a choice of two religions, how silly would it be for you to accept this knowing that there are so many more. Plus with only two political parties they can really use the "us vs them" mentality. If there were 4-6 political groups, they would have to work together on various topics, and not just a blanket attitude toward governing.

I didn't want Obama in office, I still don't want him there now. I feel like his inexperience (just like president Bush Jr) allows him to be manipulated by people who wouldn't ever make it into office otherwise. Historically, the president has the least of the powers of the three branches of government, but thanks to a lack of citizen involvement and a congress that ignores the will of the people, the president has gained more power than that position was ever intended to have.

Like I said before, the biggest issue isn't democrat vs republican, as this is just another distraction. The issue is state vs federal government. The states should be standing up for themselves and saying no to the federal government. No to a central bank. No to being blackmailed to have a 21 year old drinking age just so they can get funding for roads. No to a federal drug policy. No to federal income tax. No to ever being told how to govern their citizens when it is their constitutional right to do so (the tenth amendment to the constitution).

I think there are two small changes I would make to the constitution. First, I would specifically state that the fourth branch of government was the people. Name their responsibilities, primarily to keep congress in check (hold them accountable for their actions). Second, I would give the people the ability to dissolve congress. We can perform single recalls of elected officials, but we can't say we have no confidence in all of them as a whole. Once the process starts, nobody can resign or quit. Then prevent anybody from a dissolved congress from ever running for political office ever again. This would help remind the politicians that there are consequences for their actions and they would hopefully think twice about things. Simple changes that could be very powerful for the ones who should have the power, the people.
  • This business of having a Congress dominated by one party and a Presidency representing another party used to be considered part of they system of "checks and balances" in US gov't. So for example, when Bush Jr. was president, part of the time, his party also ran Congress. This allowed the Republicans to do some REALLY damaging things to the country! Then the Democrats managed to get a majority, and they kept those excesses in check. Now we have the opposite: the President (batting for the Dems) wants to correct some of the problems caused by the Republicans, but the Republicans (do they even have a majority? Even as a minority they can use tactics to stall votes and gum up the works) are blocking those measures.

Another example of the "checks and balances" concept in Federal Gov't is: the Supreme Court can make laws as a result of federal cases that are taken up by the Court. Sometimes the Supremes (haha--pun. There used to be a popular African-American singing group called the "Supremes", in case you Brits didn't know) make a bad decision. So Congress can override the Court's decision by passing legislation. This "checks and balances" principle is considered a cornerstone of US governance, and has been regarded in the past as a Good Thing.

HOWEVER, the problem in the last 2 decades or so is that the two opposing parties no longer work together on important legislation, as they used to do in the past. There used to be a certain amount of bi-partisanship. Now the Republicans have polarized the relations between the two parties, and are using their power to dig in their heels and sabotage Democratic attempts to get back to a more just society. The polarization is more extreme now than it ever has been, at least in roughly the last century or so. So there's gridlock, and gridlock that can't be overcome by a persuasive or forceful president (which we don't have for the time being) talking members of the opposition into cooperating.
  • @Dakini the political parties were NOT part of the checks and balances other than the politicians had political affiliations.

Also, I have to respectfully disagree with your blame of the republicans for polarizing the relations between the two parties and doing some really damaging things to the country. Both democrats and republicans should be ashamed of what they have done to this country, in addition to the citizens of the USA.

It isn't about a political party; it is about a widespread abundance of greed and a lack of compassion for other humans. Giving corporations the rights of an individual was a HUGE mistake on the part of the court system. It opened the doors for corporations to slowly take over many of our elected officials through lobbying. Corporations have millions of dollars to spend on lobbying... how much do you have to spend on the same thing? The owners and employees of corporations have the ability to lobby already, why do corporations also need that ability?

Once again, this contention between republican and democrat is just a major distraction (intentional or not) from more serious issues that are happening with this country. The best thing that the USA can do, would be to drop political parties and start voting for people and their platforms.
  • Giving corporations the rights of an individual was a HUGE mistake on the part of the court system. It opened the doors for corporations to slowly take over many of our elected officials through lobbying. Corporations have millions of dollars to spend on lobbying... how much do you have to spend on the same thing? The owners and employees of corporations have the ability to lobby already, why do corporations also need that ability?
    :clap: :thumbsup:
    Once again, this contention between republican and democrat is just a major distraction (intentional or not) from more serious issues that are happening with this country. The best thing that the USA can do, would be to drop political parties and start voting for people and their platforms.
    The impasse between the two parties is one CAUSE of the serious problems in this country. And an obstacle to their solution. But ok, I take your point that we shouldn't fixate on the political parties' conflicts, but on the issues.
  • bravehawkbravehawk Explorer
    edited August 2011
    I agree with the lot of you who think Obama can only do so much with his power. The election system was designed so that not one person can take over quickly, but through time. This is why most ideals,issues and whatnot have a 30 years turnover rate, meaning, it takes almost thirty years not only to address, but deal/vote policies in and such so we can move on to some other issue. It's said, but true.

Originally I think the system worked, but now, bad ideals and issues, thinking etc seem to outlast our good leaders and left for those who make bad decisions to deal with. And, I pretty sure those of us who are surviving the Bush jr era can agree it's not working anymore.

lack of voting and public participation/interest in politics is only one part of the problem. Lack of politician public interests(that doesn't line their pockets..) is another.

My basic opinion is this, most leaders use a band-aid type idea as a solution cause of their limitations, but we have gotten to the point where we cannot just fix it for now and expect someone else to pick up the ball. Obama is really trying to do the most he can, but politics tend to get involved and taint the best ideas.

remember our government is based on the Greeks.....look whats happening with them. We should learn from history, even if it's not ours.
    edited August 2011
    The beauty in the American system is the checks and balances that it provides to prevent tyranny.
    Nice theory. In practice it hasn't worked out so well. I give you warrantless wiretapping, fraudulent elections (i.e., Bush in 2000), illegal wars that were never declared (Iraq, Afghanistan), undeclared ongoing acts of war against other nations (drone strikes in Pakistan, etc), detention without charges or access to the legal system (Guantanamo Bay). Need I go on? In the America I grew up in, those things didn't happen (well, except the whole Vietnam war thing). I've worked in NSA, and when I was there, the very *thought* of surveillance on ANY entity inside the US that wasn't known to be a foreign spy ring was unthinkable. It simply wasn't done. It was rule #1 - no collection against any US person (or corporate entity). Period. Now it's not only commonplace, it's officially sanctioned.
  • I think America's biggest problem is that we've allowed our political system to become so cynical and dysfunctional that anyone who is truly smart enough to do a good job at it is too smart to want to get involved. So like a cesspool, the crap floats to the top and we're left with the kind of political "leadership" we've seen so amply demonstrated over the past few months and years. Frankly, a huge majority of the people elected to represent us are stupid - or at least they seem to take great pains to make themselves appear that way.

The GOP, and especially the teabaggers can't seem to come up with any policy idea that is bigger than what will fit on a bumper sticker (CUT, CAP, BALANCE!). They don't live in the real world where you have to compromise (which is now a dirty word to them), and where solutions to enormously complicated problems require thoughtful, well reasoned, and nuanced approaches. Most people in the GOP don't know the meaning of those big 50 cent words these days. Their idea is a no-holds barred rape and pillage approach to governing. If you don't like my way, then hit the highway. As a result, we see what we've seen in the past few weeks.

• P.S. John Kerry won the last election against Bush, according to investigations by Congress. If he'd taken the Presidency, things would be a lot different now.

Really ???? I thought that was Gore who really beat bush in 2000 not Kerry in 2004 ??
    Zid, the sad fact is that Bush Jr. stole the election both times. Historical fact. And even Obama was cheated out of 7 million votes. And nobody's done anything about this. Next presidential election, there will be more trickery and malfeasance. Jimmy Carter, who has been an official observer of many elections in developing countries has said that he's seen fairer and better balloting in Central America and elsewhere than in the US.

• P.S. John Kerry won the last election against Bush, according to investigations by Congress. If he'd taken the Presidency, things would be a lot different now.

Zid, the sad fact is that Bush Jr. stole the election both times. Historical fact. And even Obama was cheated out of 7 million votes. And nobody's done anything about this. Next presidential election, there will be more trickery and malfeasance. Jimmy Carter, who has been an official observer of many elections in developing countries has said that he's seen fairer and better balloting in Central America and elsewhere than in the US.
    Thanks Dakini,

I have just read this wiki article on this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_United_States_presidential_election_controversy_and_irregularities

its quite frightening that these things can happen in the biggest democracy in the world, moreover, people get away with it ! Does the American press or public not hold people to account ? In the UK the press would have a field day if these things happened, there would be public outrage about this.
    edited August 2011
    It's all about the money in American politics. Despite the fact that Gore got more votes than Bush, the sad fact was, Bush had more money behind him. Call it "shadow government" or whatever you like, it's the super rich who control what happens in America, directly or indirectly. The case of Bush v. Gore went to the Supreme Court (which is, in my estimation no longer "supreme" in anything but shame) and the case was decided in favor of Bush. Because there was money behind it. In my opinion, the 12th of December 2000 was the first overt, blatant coup d'etat in American history. It was handed to Bush by the court, but it was no less a coup d'etat than if Bush had stormed the White House with an AK47. And we sat here and took it.
    I think it's time for liberal Democrats to get over the Bush v Gore 11 year old event and respect the law. Oh, and by the way, I am a liberal Democrat who got over it and moved on.

• I think it's time for liberal Democrats to get over the Bush v Gore 11 year old event and respect the law. Oh, and by the way, I am a liberal Democrat who got over it and moved on.

No kidding. Oh, and Al Gore isn't exactly a poor country boy himself. In fact according to some sources I've seen his net worth is several times that of George W Bush's.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    why is it that every year i feel like i'm voting "against" someone instead of "for" someone.

like others said, i won't vote for the GOP because they scare the crap out of me. why would i vote for someone who wants to strip my rights? no brainer. but honestly, i'm a little disappointed in obama. i know he walked into a mess, but somehow, i was just hoping for more. with so many people close to me unemployed, i sometimes wonder if things are actually worse now.

between you and me, i seriously wanted hillary clinton to win. i was VERY disappointed that he got the nomination.
    edited August 2011
    As an outsider, I really don't think Obama has done much of any note in his term except make pretty speeches on TV. I have been really disappointed with his achievements on climate change, which have been terrible to be honest. Tough one achievement was he did get the Noble Peace Prize for not being called George Bush, which is a pretty impressive achievement that I don't think will be repeated by another president, so at least thats some legacy.
    Anyway to avoid being unfair to Obama, does anyone want to highlight what they think the best thing he has done since being in office (apart from not being called George Bush)
    what do you think his legacy will be if he leaves office after only one term ?
  • He got healthcare reform passed. That's a pretty big accomplishment, and it's one of the big things he was elected to do. He's actually accomplished quite a bit, most people just don't realize it as petty Washington squabbling overshadows just about everything else in American politics these days.

http://whattheheckhasobamadonesofar.com/
  • @StaticToybox actually the healthcare reform really isn't reform it is more of a rearrangement and it is actually coming unraveled. An appeals court has ruled that mandating that an individual have insurance is unconstitutional. Sure this will probably be appealed to the supreme court, but I doubt they will hear the case.

I think the reason why you don't hear what he has done, is because those things aren't what most Americans are worried or care about about. A lot of those things cater to certain groups of people and don't benefit the country as a whole. Also, I doubt that all those things were his, just because he signed it doesn't mean he gets credit for it.

Obama is just another ho-hum president. He wasn't Bush Jr., so people voted for him. I guess he will be remembered as the first non-white president.
  • The only person I'd consider voting for is Ron Paul. He's the closest thing to libertarian. Obama is a lacking president. He can't get America on his side and has, in effect, become lame. The Republicans hate the Democrats to a fault. They're destroying America only to blame it on the Dems. It's a mess. The media isn't helping by causing panic about trivial things. (debt ceiling)
    @StaticToybox actually the healthcare reform really isn't reform it is more of a rearrangement and it is actually coming unraveled. An appeals court has ruled that mandating that an individual have insurance is unconstitutional. Sure this will probably be appealed to the supreme court, but I doubt they will hear the case.

I think the reason why you don't hear what he has done, is because those things aren't what most Americans are worried or care about about. A lot of those things cater to certain groups of people and don't benefit the country as a whole. Also, I doubt that all those things were his, just because he signed it doesn't mean he gets credit for it.

Obama is just another ho-hum president. He wasn't Bush Jr., so people voted for him. I guess he will be remembered as the first non-white president.
    Actually, the Supreme Court will almost certainly hear the case -- in the middle of an election year -- because various appeals courts have not agreed on the issue. And note, the appeals court only nullified one aspect of the law -- the part mandating that all people obtain health insurance. They made a point of affirming that the overall law is valid.

The only person I'd consider voting for is Ron Paul. He's the closest thing to libertarian. Obama is a lacking president. He can't get America on his side and has, in effect, become lame. The Republicans hate the Democrats to a fault. They're destroying America only to blame it on the Dems. It's a mess. The media isn't helping by causing panic about trivial things. (debt ceiling)
    Other than Ron Paul being a fringe nut who has no respect for the country he claims to love, I agree with the rest of your assessment.

• @vinlyn I guess we will see if they do or not. My post clearly states that the mandating an individual to have insurance is unconstitutional, it says nothing about the entire law. I call this an unraveling, because the "reform" was based on a MADATED volume. If that piece is held as unconstitutional, then the volume will most certainly go down and the cost up. Will it be enough to disrupt the rest of the reform? I guess we shall see. If the supreme court hears the case and decides it is constitutional, then we are in more trouble. A government should foster an environment for ethical behaviour, not force its citizens to be ethical. It should take action according to damages. I personally feel that all levels of education, preventative medicine, and catastrophic injury should be provided. There has to be some responsibility for actions like smoking, drinking, risky behaviours, etc.

As far as Ron Paul is concerned, I would say that your name calling and baseless accusations tell me you aren't open to discussion on that topic, so I will leave it be.

I believe that governments quickly become crutches to people and that only through giving ourselves more freedom will we ultimately become better people.

Maybe I am too ideal, but we must live the change we want.
  • @StaticToybox actually the healthcare reform really isn't reform it is more of a rearrangement and it is actually coming unraveled. An appeals court has ruled that mandating that an individual have insurance is unconstitutional. Sure this will probably be appealed to the supreme court, but I doubt they will hear the case.

The Supreme most certainly will hear the case. It's been ruled on by several courts across the land and those courts have been ruling both for and against it. It will end up in front of the Supreme Court, you can bank on that.

The President is the captain of the ship, so to speak. He can't do anything by himself of course, but the country operates under his guidance. Kinda like how we give Columbus, rather than his crew, the credit for discovering the new world.

To be frank I find the idea that people just voted for Obama because he wasn't Bush laughable. Were that the case I doubt he would have won by such a large margin of victory. The majority of the country agreed with his policies (which, I'll add, he went into far more detail about than ether McCain or Clinton).
    @vinlyn ...There has to be some responsibility for actions like smoking, drinking, risky behaviours, etc.

As far as Ron Paul is concerned, I would say that your name calling and baseless accusations tell me you aren't open to discussion on that topic, so I will leave it be.

I believe that governments quickly become crutches to people and that only through giving ourselves more freedom will we ultimately become better people.

1. The problem that the new law tries to solve is the problem caused by so many who do not have health insurance. I can give you a good example of the problem right in my own family. My nephew is an ex-con and has led an irresponsible life. As a result, he cannot get and keep a job. When he gets sick he goes to the emergency room, can't pay, so the tax payers pay the bill for him. Another example -- a few years ago I was in the emergency room in Flagstaff, Arizona. I got into a conversation with one of the nurses about the high number of drunk American Indians I had seen around the city over the past two days, and she wait till about midnight and watch the steady stream of drunk Indians who will come through the emergency room. I asked why they were brought to a hospital, and she said the state law said that a drunk couldn't just be arrested, he had to be taken to a hospital. Now who do you think paid the bill. Yes, again, the taxpayers.

2. No, I am not open to discussing fringe political candidates.

3. Oh, I see, your opinion is an "ideal". A different opinion is not an "ideal".

• I have no faith in any politicians, so I am not attacking him personally. I believe he ran on the campaign of change, which would be the definition of voting for him because he wasn't bush. I think people voted for him because he did represent a change, but what that change was varied per person and gaps were filled with selfish thoughts. He became who the people wanted, whether he truely was or not.

He just isn't a president which makes me think, wow, what a leader. He is a lot of rhetoric, like every other politician. I see nobody with strong innovative thinking, just more of the status quo. Except for those fringe nuts, but their chance to even be given an opportunity is slim to none.
  • @vinlyn ...There has to be some responsibility for actions like smoking, drinking, risky behaviours, etc.

1. The problem that the new law tries to solve is the problem caused by so many who do not have health insurance. I can give you a good example of the problem right in my own family. My nephew is an ex-con and has led an irresponsible life. As a result, he cannot get and keep a job. When he gets sick he goes to the emergency room, can't pay, so the tax payers pay the bill for him. Another example -- a few years ago I was in the emergency room in Flagstaff, Arizona. I got into a conversation with one of the nurses about the high number of drunk American Indians I had seen around the city over the past two days, and she wait till about midnight and watch the steady stream of drunk Indians who will come through the emergency room. I asked why they were brought to a hospital, and she said the state law said that a drunk couldn't just be arrested, he had to be taken to a hospital. Now who do you think paid the bill. Yes, again, the taxpayers.

2. No, I am not open to discussing fringe political candidates.

3. Oh, I see, your opinion is an "ideal". A different opinion is not an "ideal".
    I agree that something needs to be done, but I have to say that I don't agree with the federal government doing it. I am a states rights supporter and Obama favors a more federal government (the same reason I disliked Bush Jr. too). Lets get a bit more local people: then the drunk native isn't just some drunk, but somebody's neighbor, father, husband, friend. The more power we give to the federal government, the further our government get from us and the less effective the solutions become. Local people understand local problems.

I also think that we should be treating these "irresponsible" individuals, rather than either sending them to jail or hospital. There is an underlying problem which should be addressed. Lets fund that! If we approach each individual as though they are suffering human, we stand a better chance to help them.
    The only person I'd consider voting for is Ron Paul. He's the closest thing to libertarian. Obama is a lacking president. He can't get America on his side and has, in effect, become lame. The Republicans hate the Democrats to a fault. They're destroying America only to blame it on the Dems. It's a mess. The media isn't helping by causing panic about trivial things. (debt ceiling)
    Other than Ron Paul being a fringe nut who has no respect for the country he claims to love, I agree with the rest of your assessment.
    If you aren't willing to discuss "fringe politcal candidates", then maybe you shouldn't reply to comments about said candidates. You could have easily said that same thing without the commentary and stayed "not open."

ideal |īˈdē(ə)l|
    adjective
    1 satisfying one's conception of what is perfect; most suitable : the swimming pool is ideal for a quick dip | this is an ideal opportunity to save money

I would say that I used that word appropriately. Are you familiar with God vs god, or Mind vs mind? The same would apply to Ideal vs ideal (absolute vs relative). I am not claiming my thoughts on government are part of the ultimate truth, but I am expressing an ideal from my knowledge base. I am not saying people don't need help. I am saying we need to be honest and clear about the responsibilities of the government, the community, and the individual.

I agree that something needs to be done, but I have to say that I don't agree with the federal government doing it. I am a states rights supporter ...

If you aren't willing to discuss "fringe politcal candidates", then maybe you shouldn't reply to comments about said candidates.

I am saying we need to be honest and clear about the responsibilities of the government, the community, and the individual.

1. I wonder how old you are (and it's not necessary for you to answer that), but the problem with state's rights was that the state's often failed to recognize human rights, promoted gross inequalities, and were inept at things that were left to the states. So, the federal government stepped in to fill the void, with, I might add, the consent of people.

2. I'd be happy to discuss fringe candidates. But when you point out things about those fringe candidates, the supporters of those fringe candidates simply reply that you don't have an open mind. Been there, done that, lots.

3. We also need to be honest about the common misconception that Republicans have and often state -- "The American people want..." And that Democrats have and often state -- "The American people want..." When in reality, there is no general agreement on various policies on the part of people at different parts of the political spectrum. We also need politicians who begin to realize that even though they run as a Republican or a Democrat, once they are elected they represent all their constituents, not just the minority of constituents who voted for them.

• 1. What does my age have to do with this conversation? I am 29 for the record.

The feds have always been trying to gain more and more ground in this country. It was that way from the very beginning, see the federalist/antifederalist papers. I supposed it is just a different philosophy

2. No need to lump me in with everybody else until you have a discussion with me. Then you can :)

3. This is why states rights are so important, there is no one solution. Governing in smaller units gives the most chance for success (for the same reason they put the lines in concrete, to reduce stress) Applying a blanket approach to different cultures and situations is highly tricky and while it might work, it is pretty inefficient.

I completely agree that politicians should represent their constituents. We just need a way to hold politicians accountable to the public and responsible for their actions.
    1. What does my age have to do with this conversation? I am 29 for the record.

The feds have always been trying to gain more and more ground in this country. It was that way from the very beginning, see the federalist/antifederalist papers. I supposed it is just a different philosophy

2. No need to lump me in with everybody else until you have a discussion with me. Then you can :)

3. This is why states rights are so important, there is no one solution. Governing in smaller units gives the most chance for success (for the same reason they put the lines in concrete, to reduce stress) Applying a blanket approach to different cultures and situations is highly tricky and while it might work, it is pretty inefficient.

I completely agree that politicians should represent their constituents. We just need a way to hold politicians accountable to the public and responsible for their actions.
    The reason that you age is relevant is that you don't remember the decades of incompetence and quashing of civil rights that was done by states. You might read about it, but you have no first hand knowledge of it.

Why should states have more rights than people?

• I have no faith in any politicians, so I am not attacking him personally. I believe he ran on the campaign of change, which would be the definition of voting for him because he wasn't bush. I think people voted for him because he did represent a change, but what that change was varied per person and gaps were filled with selfish thoughts. He became who the people wanted, whether he truely was or not.

He just isn't a president which makes me think, wow, what a leader. He is a lot of rhetoric, like every other politician. I see nobody with strong innovative thinking, just more of the status quo. Except for those fringe nuts, but their chance to even be given an opportunity is slim to none.
    No offense, but this is such a poor argument and one I see lobbed at Obama all the time. Of course he ran on a campaign of change. Every politician does. Every single one. You'll never find a politician who runs on a campaign of "more of the same". But if you think that's all his campaign was you're sorely mistaken. He laid out, in far more detail than McCain (or even Clinton for that matter), just what his policies were. One could go to his campaign website and find page after page detailing his plans on pretty much every issue. Meanwhile McCain's sites pretty much devoted no more than a paragraph or two to any given issue.
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    edited August 2011
    @vinlyn you are right, I don't have the direct experience and as a result I have a different perspective than people who did have that experience. I would like to point out that, just because that is what happened doesn't mean we can't learn and move forward. Mistakes are always going to be made, its how we recover/react to them that is important. I just feel like we as a country are willing to stay with something, all because we received some positive a while back. Makes more sense to me to re-evaluate and see if it still makes sense. I would rather be governed by local people, not the fed. The local government should have more presence than the fed, and now the opposite is true. In a smaller country a federal government would be fine, but the deversity we have makes blanket approaches not as effective as a localized approach. I am saying use the pas and presentt to approach the future. If you disagree, we will just have to leave it at that.

@StaticToybox you're right saying he doesn't wow me, isn't a very good argument, but I am not here to sway you to believe the same things I do. I am just hoping to share another perspective on the situation. I have always felt that the more perspectives we understand the closer we come to understanding truth.

I know I won't find a politician that runs on more of the same, but that is what they deliver. So what is more important, what they campaign on or what they actually do? I am not arguing his platform was better or worse that anybody else's, I am looking at his actions against the backdrop of american history. Time can certainly prove me wrong and I am ok with that since I don't know everything ;-). To take it back to the OP, I would say he isn't a success or a failure overall: he has successes and he has failures.

My point in all this discussion is that I have yet to see a strong leader that is willing to risk his second term reelection for the good of the country. It is all about power and keeping the status quo. Nobody has tackled the fundamental issues, they are just putting bandages on the visible wounds. I don't want to get into a debate about obama vs anyone. I just want to see somebody with some long term vision who can see that fixing the fundamentals will help all aspects of our society. I realize this is rather difficult when you have to coordinate with so many others (especially those that will cut off their nose to spite their face), but that is what a strong leader does. If that person is a democrat, a republican, or a fringe candidate I matters not to me.

EDIT: If Obama gets reelected and is able to become a strong leader, I am happy for that too.
  • On the contrary I see a strong leader in Obama, but one who is hamstrung by the people he has to work though because of the Constitutional balance of powers. Now I'm not saying the balance of powers is a bad thing, far from it, but it means that in a system such as ours sometimes shit just doesn't get done. There's only so much the President can do, whether or not he wants to do more. He's not a king, he's not a dictator. He can only accomplish things in so far as the Congress is willing to work with him. And the current bunch we have in Congress are petty, childish, and willing to send the country straight to Hell in a handbasket just to make the other side look bad.
  • @StaticToybox but that is what a strong leader does, he/she bridges the gaps between very different wants. What is it that Obama does that makes you feel he is a strong leader? I will say that he has charisma that the general public likes, but he is working with politicians in the government, not the general public.

That being said I think congress is a big issue, they don't listen to their constituents and the people need a way to dismiss congress, to start with new blood so to speak. I think the current system allows things to move very slowly and that is important; however, if congress is not going in the direction we want them to (aka listening to their constituents), we do need the ability to wipe the slate clean (as clean as we can). We have the ability to recall individuals, but I think we need the ability to dismiss all of congress and ban those individuals from running for public office. This will help remind the legislative branch that we are their boss, not corporations or their own selfish desires. I don't think that would have to be used more than a few times before politicians would think twice about some of the bullshit they pull. What do you think?
  • Charisma is exactly what makes him a strong leader. Being a strong leader is about nothing if not charisma. As for being able to bridge gaps it simply is not possible in our current political climate. It's become a game of one-upsmanship, where beating the other guys is far more important than working together for the good of the nation. And the public feeds this. We give egotistical jackasses like Glenn Beck, Bill O'Reiley, Rush Limbaugh and Keith Olbermann record ratings and millions of dollars to spew their hateful, divisive bulls***, and our politicians, picking up on all this, play along. Political talk shows in this country use to be calm, reasoned affairs. Now grown men screaming at each other for five minutes in between commercial breaks is what passes for political discourse in this country.

Oh, they do listen to their constituents. The problem is their constituents can't decide what they hell they want. We sit idly by for 8 years as one man wrecks the economy, then we task someone else with fixing the problem, then get pissed when it's going to take a few years to undo the damage. i would also say the American public is a hypocritical lot. We want high wages and cheap goods. But those two things do work together so well. So manufacturing goes overseas in order to provide the cheap goods. Then we complain that all the jobs are in China. We don't want government healthcare, but we're quick to jump on the Medicare train as soon as we can. Why just the other day I was in the checkout at the store and the man in front of me, on Social Security and Medicare and sitting in a taxpayer-funded power scooter, was going on and on about how we "don't want no gub'ment healthcare".
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    well said @StaticToybox
    Charisma is exactly what makes him a strong leader. Being a strong leader is about nothing if not charisma. As for being able to bridge gaps it simply is not possible in our current political climate. It's become a game of one-upsmanship, where beating the other guys is far more important than working together for the good of the nation. And the public feeds this. We give egotistical jackasses like Glenn Beck, Bill O'Reiley, Rush Limbaugh and Keith Olbermann record ratings and millions of dollars to spew their hateful, divisive bulls***, and our politicians, picking up on all this, play along. Political talk shows in this country use to be calm, reasoned affairs. Now grown men screaming at each other for five minutes in between commercial breaks is what passes for political discourse in this country.

Oh, they do listen to their constituents. The problem is their constituents can't decide what they hell they want. We sit idly by for 8 years as one man wrecks the economy, then we task someone else with fixing the problem, then get pissed when it's going to take a few years to undo the damage. i would also say the American public is a hypocritical lot. We want high wages and cheap goods. But those two things do work together so well. So manufacturing goes overseas in order to provide the cheap goods. Then we complain that all the jobs are in China. We don't want government healthcare, but we're quick to jump on the Medicare train as soon as we can. Why just the other day I was in the checkout at the store and the man in front of me, on Social Security and Medicare and sitting in a taxpayer-funded power scooter, was going on and on about how we "don't want no gub'ment healthcare".
    I'm not sure I quite agree with all your points.

Yes, I think charisma and intelligence are two ingredients to being a strong leader. In fact, I had hardly ever heard of Obama until 2000 when he gave his keynote speech at the convention, and as I sat there I thought that maybe we would have a Black president during my lifetime, and he would be the one. Little did I think it would happen so soon. But I also don't think that he has lived up to that potential. I contributed to his campaign and voted for him, but now I actually wish I had supported Hillary.

As for not being able to bridge the gap between the two parties...well, that's where you and I part, because if he is ever going to be looked back on as a great president, that's exactly what he has to do...to shape the debate and persuade compromise wherever possible.

But it's that word compromise that our leaders have lost the ability to do.

There's a phrase this country was founded on that has been all bot forgotten -- "the common good". The other day several of my neighbors and I were having a chat, and another neighbor joined us. Something was mentioned about politics, and off she went on a conservative/tea party/GOP rant. And here was the key -- she said if a candidate is elected by conservatives, once they are in office, they only have to listen to those conservatives. I told her she didn't understand the American system. You may run as a Republican or a Democrat, but once you are elected it is your responsibility to represent ALL the people who live in your state or district or whatever the jurisdiction is.

Frankly while I won't vote Republican EVER again, I'll also not vote in a primary for any incumbent Democrat. I know it's simplistic, but for the first time in my life I agree with the sentiment -- "throw the bums out". Because, quite simply, they're not fulfilling their oaths of office.

• @vinlyn :thumbsup:
  • Zid, it's beyond my comprehension as to why the results of the Congressional investigation into the widespread instances of various types of election fraud that happened in the Bush-Kerry election weren't publicized. Same for the "stolen" votes for Obama. I think it's dangerous to hush this up, and I can't imagine why anyone would want to. The press could've had a field day with this info, it's potentially quite sensationalistic.

Does anyone here have any answers to this question?
    If it's so hushed up, how come you know about it?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited August 2011
    I followed the Congressional investigation online in the Congressional Record after the Bush-Kerry election, and the news about the 7 million "stolen" votes after the Obama election was reported on National Public Radio.

Check out journalist Greg Palast's book: "The Best Democracy Money Can Buy". When Palast discovered months in advance of the Bush-Kerry election that poor minority communities in NM had been targeted to receive faulty voting machines (this was proven in court after the election), Palast couldn't get any media outlet but NPR to report on it, and other plans election shenanigans he'd uncovered. He said he approached many newspapers and radio and tv programs about his findings, and many producers said they'd love to run the story, but their Republican-owned advertisers (or owners of the newspapers or radio stations) would never allow it.
    You miss the point of my question. If it's so hushed up, how come you know about it? Sounds to me as if mainstream media don't have much faith in Palast...and, from what I can find about him, some of his tactics are often criticized.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited August 2011
    This isn't about Palast. Zidangus' question was re: why the media didn't make a big deal out of all the election trickery that went on. Why, indeed? Some of this wasn't covered up. In fact a lawsuit was filed against the State of NM due to the faulty election machines given to Hispanic and Native American communities, and the State lost. Why wasn't that milked for all it was worth in the media? Just one example. As for the Congressional inveestigation into the Bush-Kerry election problems, I don't know why that wasn't publicized, except for the fact that the media during Bush presidency behaved a lot more like Soviet media than Western media; very little criticism of the regime was allowed.
    Oh my god. Was there ever a president who was more roundly criticized than George Bush?
  • There was a lot that wasn't reported, or was deliberately erroneously reported. Like a protest of Bush policies and wars that took place in Washington DC. The number of participants was reported as being 10-20 times less than the actual turnout. The Kerry-Bush election tampering. Bush's military service evasion during the Vietnam War. His poor performance as a university student. His oil industry connections, and how that influenced so much of his decision-making. The opportunity he had to catch Bin Laden in the Tora Bora mountains, that he allowed to slip by. Indeed, his loss of interest in Bin Laden in favor of initiating a war in Afghanistan. His initiation of domestic spying on citizens (NSA surveillance of telephone calls and emails). Many more details I can't recall at this point. Bush was criticized all right, by the public, but not so much by the media. Criticism was muted or not there at all.