Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Another question on goals..

edited February 2006 in Buddhism Today
I have some more small questions I'd like to ask...

a)...at this point in your life, what are your goals as far as your practice of Buddhism goes? (what do you wish to attain/achieve/accomplish...)

b)...what is the hardest challenge you are facing as far as (your practice/learning) of Buddhism goes?

c). Do You Meditate? Why? Which method (brief description only)

For me -
a. I just want to find freedom
b) I think I'm close to having a right understanding of much of reality. What I want to do is get rid of Ego, the illusion of I which I am still sadly trying to destroy...
c) I don't meditate formally but I try to contemplate, observe, and understand reality where possible...

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2006
    1) Peace, Love and Understanding whoooooooa! What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?
    b) Ego.
    iii) Yes. Awareness & Compassion meditation.

-bf
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2006
    hope,

A.) I have no goals.

B.) Taking my own advice. ;) I think that thina-middha (sloth and drowsiness) is one of my greatest hindrances. There are often occassions where I put off practicing when I have the time simply because I don't have the motivation.

C.) Yes. My meditations vary depending on the situation. There are forty methods that were taught by the Buddha, and each has it's own value. Meditation to me is an active process, and an invaluable tool for one's practice.

:)

Jason
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    To make a positive difference.

To whom?

Good question.
  • edited February 2006
    I have some more small questions I'd like to ask...

a)...at this point in your life, what are your goals as far as your practice of Buddhism goes? (what do you wish to attain/achieve/accomplish...)

b)...what is the hardest challenge you are facing as far as (your practice/learning) of Buddhism goes?

a) I echo my friend, Elohim - no goals.

b) none - all practice is still practice (whether 'I' see it as 'good' or not)

c) Of course. Meditation is the core of my practice and my school's practice. Method: wall meditation / shikantaza
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Goals: Not to be arrogant and a bumbling fool
    Challenge: Not to be arrogant and a bumbling fool
    Meditation: Non-arrogant bumbling fool meditation

Oh look, I'm sorry I'm feeling a little silly today-sorry all.
  • edited February 2006
    a) A better sense of just accepting things as they are

b) Right speech is my biggest challenge at the moment.

c). Yes, zazen (or staring at a wall as my wife calls it!) for 20 mins a day
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    Frizzer wrote:
    b) Right speech is my biggest challenge at the moment.

This reminds me of a programme i saw on UK TV many years ago....

It was about Zoroastrians...and there were three women members of this society/Congregation, discussing the main Credo of Zoroastrianism, which went:
    "Think Good Thoughts, Say Good Words, Do Good Deeds." and the reporter, off-camera, asked which they thought was the most difficult to practise...
    One lady immediately chimed in -
    'Oh, Say Good Words... -' but she was instantly interrupted by another -
    'Oh, No. It's Think Good Thoughts.'

And I would have to agree.
    As Lama Surya Das says in one of his books

"It all starts in our head, with what we tell ourselves."
    (to be honest, he was talking about the way we deceive ourselves, but this example is appropriate to this discourse, I think...)

So before you Articulate verbally, it has already taken root in your Consciousness....
  • edited February 2006
    (a) I try not to have goals. Something in me doesn't agree, however, and keeps subtly insinuating them; e.g. to attain enlightenment / not to fear death / to be "spiritual" / to sit longer than I did yesterday / not to have goals. Grrrrr.

(b) See (a) above.

(c) Metta Bhavana mornings, Mindfulness of Breathing evenings, lunchtimes - it varies, often not at all, depending on how far the events of the day have blown me off course.

Martin.
  • edited February 2006
    (a) I try not to have goals. Something in me doesn't agree, however, and keeps subtly insinuating them; e.g. to attain enlightenment / not to fear death / to be "spiritual" / to sit longer than I did yesterday / not to have goals. Grrrrr.

(b) See (a) above.

(c) Metta Bhavana mornings, Mindfulness of Breathing evenings, lunchtimes - it varies, often not at all, depending on how far the events of the day have blown me off course.

Martin.

To tell you the truth, I personally don't fear death. I fear life. I wish I knew how to overcome that fear..
  • edited February 2006
    What is fear?
    edited February 2006
    You know, me and my biatch were having a discussion about this the other night.

She is a devout, non-practicing, minimally versed in the scriptures Christian...

Anyway we were talking about Christian beliefs. She was stating that she believes in God and the Bible - but doesn't believe in demons. I was asking her how she could accept one part of biblical teaching yet reject other portions of it. For some reason, reading stories of fallen angels and demon possession (see Legion) doesn't impact her. She believes in God and that's about it.

But, as part of the discussion, we were talking about evil and fear. She was making a point that she doesn't beleive that evil or fear exists on it's own. The only reason it exists is because of humans. If there were no humans, there would be no fear.

It struck me as being somewhat logical because most of the evil and fearful things we dream up are dreamt up by our minds. Not to say that there isn't natural fear in nature - fear of predaters, etc.

But, fear is in our minds. What makes the water hose look like a snake? Why is one dark room okay and another not - they're both just dark rooms...
    I will not fear
    Fear is the mindkiller,
    Fear is the little death
    That brings total Oblivion
    I will permit my fear to pass
    Over me and through me
    And where it has gone
    I will turn the inner eye
    Nothing will be there
    Only I will remain. -- Bene Gesserit.
    [/QUOTE

-bf
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2006
    yo BF.

Hey I think that perhaps your GF is right...

Think of it this way, do you believe in Hungry Ghosts? etc.
    Did Buddha say that we should test the theories and scriptures for ourselves and accept or deny according to what YOU discover?

perhaps this is the same thing....Just musing-don't know for sure..correct me if you like.

regards,
    X
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited February 2006
    1) Loving-Kindness and Non-Attachment.
    2) Loving-Kindness and Non-Attachment.
    3) Loving-Kindness and Non-Attachment.

:)
  • edited February 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    But, as part of the discussion, we were talking about evil and fear. She was making a point that she doesn't beleive that evil or fear exists on it's own. The only reason it exists is because of humans. If there were no humans, there would be no fear.

[/QUOTE

-bf

Your girlfriend forgot about animals and that fear is a natural and healthy response sometimes.
    edited February 2006
    Your girlfriend forgot about animals and that fear is a natural and healthy response sometimes.

No she didn't - I think I put a statement in there about natural fear found in nature - like with predators and such :)

-bf
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited February 2006
    1. To continue to recover physically from my accident and subsequent medical problems. Starting a new physical therapy program in a couple of weeks for patients with spinal injuries. I'm stoked!
    2. Right Speech, as my buddy Frizzer does
    3. Yes, I meditate daily, 20-30 minutes depending on how my back can take it. I normally do mindfulness of breathing. Some might call it "zazen".
    edited February 2006
    Xray,

I honestly have no idea. I know that I have fears of various things - but I do also believe they are in my head. What is a fear of heights? I've been up high and nothing has happened, but it's the possibility of something happening which causes this fear in me.

As for hungry ghosts and such - Buddha may have taught them, but I haven't seen them AND I have enough things to work on at the moment without worrying about those kinds of things that are so far beyond me :)

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Xray,

I honestly have no idea. I know that I have fears of various things - but I do also believe they are in my head. What is a fear of heights? I've been up high and nothing has happened, but it's the possibility of something happening which causes this fear in me.

-bf

Fear of heights is actually a fear of FALLING. Apparently, it's an inner ear imbalance. It doesn't happen when you're flying (in a plane:)).
  • edited February 2006
    I can go with that. My fear of heights is so bad that I go almost catatonic if I realise there is a big drop next to me. But then I fell off a cliff and fractured my skull when I was 14 so I suppose it's a natural reaction. BUT I happily get on planes and suffer only terminal boredom.
  • edited February 2006
    No problem with the broomstick, either? :)
  • edited February 2006
    kowtaaia wrote:
    No problem with the broomstick, either? :)

None at all - but then I'm driving!:hair:
  • edited February 2006
    Surely it's the ground rather than heights that people should be scared of. It's not the height that hurts you!

Damn, there goes that Right Speech again !!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Sometimes the fear of heights is a fear of the irrational urge to jump.
    edited February 2006
    Frizzer wrote:
    Surely it's the ground rather than heights that people should be scared of. It's not the height that hurts you!

Damn, there goes that Right Speech again !!

Frizzer, that's kind of how I was going to respond to Brigid.

It's really not the heights.

It's the hitting and the smacking with the squishing and the breaking and the ouching.

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    Ha ha ! :D
    Great minds think alike !!
    edited February 2006
    Dearest Frizzer,

Thank you for saying I have a great mind. I don't think I've ever had anyone say that to me before - especially my mental health support group.

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    hope,

The "What is fear?" question was in response to: "To tell you the truth, I personally don't fear death. I fear life. I wish I knew how to overcome that fear."
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    Sometimes the fear of heights is a fear of the irrational urge to jump.
    Hello Brigid,

hey ever tried rockclimbing (I do indoor), I know about your current sito, but in the past? what a high! chemical-free!

regards,
    Richard
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    No, I never have. But I'm not afraid of heights at all. Used to have a neighbour who was a mountain climber and he used to climb the side of our house for practice. No, really. It WAS for practice. I know what you're thinking.

Brigid
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2006
    hey I am PETRIFIED (fossilised wood) of heights!

I can guarantee you, though after one time, YOU WILL LOVE IT!

It is the reason why you have a harness and ropes-they work!-not a great deal of people have died rockclimbing. ITS FUN.

(good advice at all times *wink wink*)

regards.
    Richard
  • edited February 2006
    I tried indoor rock climbing and really enjoyed it.
    I lost a bit of confidence in my mate who was belaying me though as I slipped and he wasn't quite prepared to catch me because he was watching some girl's backside rather than what I was doing!! :eek:

I stick to bouldering now as there's no need for ropes and there's less distance to fall!
  • edited February 2006
    Brigid,

So glad that the swelling has gone down. :)
  • edited February 2006

I want peace, and wish to take monastic vows. However, I have family responsibilities that preclude that in this lifetime.

How to get a divorce from an abusive husband of 22 years...without causing HIM pain. How to put my own sorrows aside and ensure that others grow through this.

I do not meditate. Wonder of wonders, out of the blue I have been given a teacher and practice that are good for me right now.
  • edited February 2006
    harlan wrote:

I want peace, and wish to take monastic vows. However, I have family responsibilities that preclude that in this lifetime..

That would not stand in the way of you ordaining in the Zen tradition, where daily life and family are seen as part of the practice. Come to that, it wouldn't stop you ordaining in any Japanese tradition and some Korean ones.

How to get a divorce from an abusive husband of 22 years...without causing HIM pain. How to put my own sorrows aside and ensure that others grow through this..

Forget about others, attend to yourself in this regard. That wouldn't be selfish in this situation.

I do not meditate. Wonder of wonders, out of the blue I have been given a teacher and practice that are good for me right now.

That will change. There is no realization without meditation.
  • edited February 2006
    Dear Harlan
    Just my humble opinion that to find Buddhism one does not need to take monastic vows. But well.. its just my view.. and I am no expert...

I wish you luck.. Felt sad to hear about (abusive husband)..

Please do keep in touch.. may you find what you seek...