Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A newbie question about enjoyment and pleasure

edited August 2011 in Buddhism Basics
In the '4 noble truths' thread, @Dhamma Dhatu posted the following definition of 'craving' as defined by the Buddha:

"The origin of suffering, as a noble truth, is this: It is the craving that produces renewal of being accompanied by enjoyment and lust, and enjoying this and that; in other words, craving for sensual desires, craving for being, craving for non-being."

Bearing this in mind, does being a Buddhist mean not taking pleasure in, for example, spending time with friends and family, good food and drink, making love with your spouse, a good book, watching a movie, playing a game...and so on? And moreover, does it mean not WANTING these things? Does it mean not being proactive in, for example, initiating sex or inviting a friend over for dinner, or splashing in puddles with your kids, just in case you might (gasp!) actually find it an enjoyable experience?

It may be that there is an entire layer of this that I've missed - in fact, I'm pretty much certain there is because otherwise Buddhism surely wouldn't have survived this long. My mind suggests to me that maybe the idea is not to stop enjoying and seeking out these simple pleasures altogether, but to do so in a way that doesn't grasp or cling to them, doesn't elevate them in importance over other types of experience and just makes the most of them in the present moment.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Being a lay Buddhist doesn't mean abstaining from those things; being a monk/nun generally does.

As a lay Buddhist, you go at your own pace down the path. The idea is to lessen your attachments over time. There are a lot of pleasures that we do for the sake of that pleasure itself, and those are the things we eventually stop doing because we are no longer deluded by temporary pleasure; we find contentment in our ordinary experiences, be they painful or pleasurable.

Do as you like, as long as it's non-harm. Let the gradual path clear away what is unnecessary and leave what is.
  • No, Buddhist practice should never mean rejecting the pleasure life brings. Not even for monks.

The translations usually say "craving" and that's far different from either enjoying or looking forward to activities that are fun and we enjoy. We have a word in our language that Buddha did not have that is even closer to what he meant, from the context. Addiction.

People become addicted to what they find pleasure in, and try to fill their lives with only these things. Sadly, it's self-defeating and leads to suffering as do all addictions. For one thing, we end up only concerned with our own happiness. Thus, you hear about the pitfalls of "selfish desires". That is far different from saying we shouldn't enjoy happiness when possible.

Does this help?
  • @Cinorjer - yes, it helps a lot - thank you. I am fairly certain I am not actually addicted to any of the things I described, so I guess it's all good. :coffee:
  • I don't want to burst any bubbles here but you are correct in understanding that taking pleasure in impermanent phenomena will lead to suffering. I know you mentioned that you are still new to studying Buddhism, so I definitely don't want to put you off, especially since learning and practicing the Dharma is the greatest joy in the world.

But think about it, when you had to consider losing the things you mentioned you became defensive, anxious, angry, or possibly confused because you can't understand how these things could lead you to be unhappy ... which makes you unhappy. The reason that impermanent joys are ultimately disatisfying is because they are impermanent. We suffer because we take joy in that which will eventually be taken from us.

This does not mean that, as a lay Buddhist, you need to give up experiencing and taking pleasure in these fleeting joys. The path of renunciation which leads to nirvana/liberation/enlightenment is not an easy path to walk. As a lay practitioner you can practice the precepts, mindfulness, meditation, the accumulation of merit by performing acts of kindness and generosity that will lead to happy birth in this world and the next.

Remember that lasting joy is that joy which is unconditioned, unfettered, unbound, liberated, and deathless. Take refuge in the Buddha, in the Dharma, and in the Sangha and your actions will bear the fruit of peace and wellbeing.
  • enjoy everything.

all that matters is your relation to everything. suffering and craving will always exist. learning to accept and respond with mindfulness to what is in front of you is most important.

you can learn a lot about joy and suffering. just examine them. when you suffer, try to see why you suffer. when you enjoy something, try to see why you enjoy something.

see everything as it is rather than what you project it to be. life is to be enjoyed and happiness is very important! buddhism should help you to appreciate the aspects of life and wholesome states of mind which all lead to less suffering and happiness.

you will suffer and even if you're enlightened/awaken or whatever you will suffer still. lets be realistic, suffering is the normal condition of living this life and so is joy. wise up and learn how to relate accordingly to suffering/joy so that you may optimally live your life for the happiness of yourself and others.
  • @taiyaki

I almost agreed with your post right up until this part:
    you will suffer and even if you're enlightened/awaken or whatever you will suffer still
    Based on dependent origination, the way that suffering can meet its cessation is carefully laid out by the one who achieved the cessation of suffering, the Buddha. There is no need to feel like your suffering is eternal. There is an end.
  • Dhamma Dhatu is insulting the Dharma with such ignorant views spewed with venom.
    He hasnt even posted in this thread, where did this come from, friend?
  • TalismanTalisman Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Also, @vincenzi, is that a bit of anger/ill will I sense in your post? I'm not one to know the minds of others but perhaps the hinderances continue to thrive even in you.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited August 2011
    yes suffering is just like everything else. not mine, always changing, not lasting, brings no satisfaction, empty of inherent existence, etc.

still people suffer and this body/mind suffers. since suffering is not mine and not lasting forever, i can relate to it realistically.

that is freedom and that is the end.

and by "i", "i" am speaking conventionally. hahahaha so many holes so many holes!
  • in many senses this notion of suffering can also be applied to happiness and even the neutrality of both. thus freeing mind/heart from all aspects of "clinging" through the engaging of wisdom.

so in another sense a liberated mind/heart would fully feel suffering, happiness, sadness, etc. it would be like a thunderstorm. coming in quickly and hard and then leaving as if it wasn't there to begin with. isn't all our experience like this? until we grasp. when we grasp we try to reproduce it all because we want to control and construct identities, etc.

but what if we could feel total joy without attachment. it would come and it would be nice and it would go. such is the freedom of a buddha. a buddha acknowledges the whole human experience. all the negativity is transformed to be positive. for instance the suffering felt by the buddha would motivate the buddha to be compassionate and understanding of those who suffer. to feel the suffering of others as ones own suffer is important as this is what brings about compassionate action for another.

so back on topic. the idea is to enjoy what is in front of you and appreciate what is in front of you but not clinging onto anything because it will cause you suffering. allow the natural process to occur as it will occur regardless of how you cling/not cling to it. so buddhism is teaching us to wise up and realize how things are then from there we can see how we relate to things. we must start seeing what is and thus we stop clinging to stuff.

it's definitely work but if we just examine our lives it will be apparent that the three marks are quite obvious. enjoy life! see it for what it is!
  • santhisouksanthisouk Veteran
    edited August 2011
    We suffer because we have become attached to those things in which "cravings" have led us to be attached. Is it possible to experience joy an pleasure in those things without becoming attached? Yes that is why we practice, to not become attached to things that lead to suffering. This does not mean that we have lived life any less than someone who have attached or is attaching, quite the contrary. This does not also mean that we should live a recluse lifestyle. We can live our life the way it was meant to be lived, just that we should be wary of our actions and avoid attachments. We make our lives more wholesome and more meaningful when we avoid attaching, and the only way to do this is to handle our cravings somehow.

peace and metta. :)
  • @vincenzi

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you are trying to convey in your post. Am I the samsaraputram? I'm not trying to argue at all. IMO, your pride seems to be a sign of attachment to self-view. Not that I'm not trying to insult you in any way; I have attachment to self-view too.

Anyways, I'm out for the evening. Maybe we could continue this conversation tomorrow?

With love
    -T
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited August 2011
    the post was censored/deleted.

glad there are backups ::

@Talisman

it is not an insult;
    samsāraputra - srotapanna - sakadagami - anāgami - buddha/arhat - samyak buddha/10th bhumi bodhisattva
  • edited August 2011
    I see nothing wrong with enjoying life's pleasures if they harm no one. It's only when you NEED those pleasures in order to be happy that they're a problem, because of course they're impermanent, and so happiness dependent on them will be equally impermanent. Cultivate happiness-independent-of-circumstance (my definition of 'enlightenment') and you can enjoy life's pleasures without necessarily needing them for happiness, and without losing happiness when they're gone. We can debate whether happiness-independent-of-circumstance is actually good, i.e., does it mean we won't care about loved ones dying? Does it mean we won't care about the suffering of those around us? I think that the answer is yes we can still care, that in any case our loved one's would want us to be happy, and that happiness actually increases compassion for others because it makes us less focused on our own neurosis. But none of this precludes enjoying life's pleasures.

At least, that's my view. I think the view that we must give up all life's pleasures in order to end suffering, but that only monks can actually do this while lay-people are left to stray in darkness, is faulty, and that in any case it can only have the effect of making Buddhism less and less relevant to more and more people. I don't mean to offend anyone, I just mean to give my view.
  • I see nothing wrong with enjoying life's pleasures if they harm no one. It's only when you NEED those pleasures in order to be happy
    I love how you put it together there. It makes sense to me to think of it as "want" vs "need."

I think it's easy to take things too literally in buddhism and label "wanting" itself as a bad thing.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Actually @pain, wanting is the bad thing, we all just have different opinions of how far we're willing to go to quench the thirst. Wanting is AKA craving is AKA "tanha", the cause of suffering in the Four Noble Truths. Everything comes back to these in serious practice.

That doesn't mean everyone has to cut out seeking enjoyment/pleasure from their lives (like sex, watching TV and other things that are normal for humans in modern times), it only means that the seeking/craving of enjoyment/pleasure is as much a source of suffering as the avoidance of pain. We just don't see that at first... we try to be happy, to not be unhappy, but do not realize that our craving in both instances is the reason for all of our suffering.

Lay Buddhists can live their lives pretty much the same as people of no religion or of other religions... it's not always a lay Buddhist's goal to actually realize Nirvana in this life. Some simply keep to the precepts, as best they can, and go no further. There's no hard-and-fast answer that applies to everyone, which is why Buddhism fits so many different types of practitioners. I prefer it that way myself. :)
  • Actually @pain, wanting is the bad thing, we all just have different opinions of how far we're willing to go to quench the thirst. Wanting is craving is "tanha", the cause of suffering in the Four Noble Truths.
    If wanting is intrinsically bad in itself and buddhism's aim is to distinguish all "wants," how do we get anything done with buddhism?

Buddha "wanted" to liberate people. I "want" to practice buddhism. I "want" to meditate. I "want" my son to be happy. I "want" to be healthy. I "want" to eat delicious food.

Aren't we just playing with semantics here.. or am I missing something?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2011
    The goal, for Nirvana at least, is to end craving. That doesn't mean that the means doesn't employ craving... naturally you have a desire to end desires. You can see that as a paradox, but that's only if you over-think it. The further along you get, the less craving there is (the less desire and the less effort needed to go even further).

Craving runs our lives. We're always wanting this or that, and even when it's not necessary we're unhappy with our current circumstances and seek out other circumstances. We can't stay still because we're always unsatisfied, which is our dukkha/suffering, and we try to quench that by fulfulling wants... but that's also a part of our dukkha. We feed the fire, instead of aiming our minds toward the alleviation of suffering through the cessation of craving, which is exactly what the Buddha taught.

To walk the path a fire for cessation must burn, but walking the path is to fetch water to douse all fires. Otherwise, we're lighting fires all of our lives with no end in sight.
  • Then, how do you go out to enjoy a dinner with friends without wanting to do so?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Who said to do that? You're somehow thinking you're meant to go about fun activities and try not to enjoy them... that's not at all what any of this means. If you want to enjoy dinner with friends, then do that. At least, for as long as that's what you want to do. You're not a monk are you? :)

Walking the path is the gradual cultivation of detachment from the craving that forces you to seek enjoyment and avoid pain, to be at peace with all circumstances.

Perhaps there's a subtlety that I can't convey here.
  • edited August 2011
    @Cloud

"...wanting is the bad thing..."

But wanting is only a bad thing in the first place if you need to want...

"Lay Buddhists can live their lives pretty much the same as people of no religion or of other religions..."

Making Buddhism utterly irrelevant to them...
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Argue with the Four Noble Truths if you want to, but I'm afraid they'll sit back and take it without needing to lift a finger in defense. ;)

Like I said, lay Buddhists can practice as they choose. That's the whole point I was making earlier that we each choose how we walk the path and to what end. Not a great percentage are seeking Nirvana, I wouldn't think. There's a great deal of Buddhists who simply adhere to some basics but don't put the effort into purifying their karma yada yada. "Buddhist" is a very vague definition to put on anyone, or for anyone to assume, since it has such a varying practitioner-base.
  • Argue with the Four Noble Truths if you want to, but I'm afraid they'll sit back and take it without needing to lift a finger in defense. ;)
    With all due respect, so will my position, if you avoid answering it. Not that you have to. Your call. But in any case I think I was disagreeing less with the Four Noble Truths than with your interpretation of them.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Bearing this in mind, does being a Buddhist mean not taking pleasure in, for example, spending time with friends and family, good food and drink, making love with your spouse, a good book, watching a movie, playing a game...and so on? And moreover, does it mean not WANTING these things? Does it mean not being proactive in, for example, initiating sex or inviting a friend over for dinner, or splashing in puddles with your kids, just in case you might (gasp!) actually find it an enjoyable experience?

It may be that there is an entire layer of this that I've missed - in fact, I'm pretty much certain there is because otherwise Buddhism surely wouldn't have survived this long. My mind suggests to me that maybe the idea is not to stop enjoying and seeking out these simple pleasures altogether, but to do so in a way that doesn't grasp or cling to them, doesn't elevate them in importance over other types of experience and just makes the most of them in the present moment.
    hi Vix

Buddhism has two levels of teaching: (1) for monks and (2) for laypeople

The Buddha recommended to laypeople (who asked him) to enjoy themselves within the boundaries of the five precepts (google, for example, Samajivina Sutta and Anana Sutta).

However, his higher teachings, for the most part taught to monks, remain diagnostic expressions of natural truth.

In other words, the higher teachings are not "shoulds" and "should nots" but descriptions of the realities of suffering & freedom from suffering.

So if we enjoy ourself, with good food & drink, making love with our spouse, etc, the seeds of suffering are existent there because separation from these things we love must bring some suffering.

Thus, in the 2nd Noble Truth, the Buddha diagnosed the cause of suffering.

However, in his life, teachings & religion, he did not insist all beings pursue complete freedom from suffering.

Why? Because attaining complete freedom from suffering is not easy and many human beings must (due to their nature) live with spouse, engage in sexual relations, etc

Personally, I doubt one can indulge in sensual & filial enjoyment, such as making love with one's spouse, and not be attached to that.

The Buddha certainly, for the most part, did not teach one could indulge in various enjoyments and be free from suffering (google, for example, Piyavagga and Piyajatika Sutta).

Kind regards

DD :)

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    @Vincenzi Knock it off.
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited August 2011
    My experience has shown me that the type of renunciation which is being discussed happens, gradually, gently and naturally over time as a result of practice ... it's always ok to be and practice where we are right now and make progress. By the way I am a married woman who has children and works in a full time job. I am fortunate that I am able to attend regular silent retreats and I do make time to meditate daily, with my other commitments - many which I have made since beginning practice - being a mother to my oldest child not being one of them.
    edited August 2011
    @Lincoln

Vincenzi is speaking what he believes to be true

• andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Just read DD's post before mine
    :thumbsup:
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Moderator Note

Any further confrontational remarks are simply going to be removed, and the offenders shortly thereafter. This is far from proper behavior on the forum, much less Buddhism for Beginners. Those who can't get along, just stop talking to one another, period. It seems offense can not be avoided, so let's just avoid the possibility altogether, yes?

Back to topic people...
  • edited August 2011
    Dhamma Dhatu: "The facts are the Buddha did not teach one can enjoy or delight (nandi) in things and remain completely free from suffering".

Again, I don't mean to be offensive, I just mean to give my view. My view is that the Buddha was the first word on the cessation of suffering via transcendence of 'I', but the not the last. Someone might as well quote Charles Darwin talking about how traits are inherited via a 'blending' process, to refute all Darwinists who believe traits are actually inherited via genes. But that's just me.
    edited August 2011
    Again, I don't mean to be offensive, I just mean to give my view. My view is that the Buddha was the first word on the cessation of suffering via transcendence of 'I', but the not the last.
    no offense taken...you are free to hold your opinion

however, the Buddha described Nirvana as the destruction of craving

best wishes :)
    Any desire, passion, delight or craving for form... feeling... perception... mental fabrications... consciousness, Radha: when one is caught up there, tied up there, one is said to be 'a being'.

Satta Sutta: A Being

• edited August 2011
    Again, I don't mean to be offensive, I just mean to give my view. My view is that the Buddha was the first word on the cessation of suffering via transcendence of 'I', but the not the last.
    no offense taken...you are free to hold your opinion

however, the Buddha described Nirvana as the destruction of craving

best wishes :)
    Any desire, passion, delight or craving for form... feeling... perception... mental fabrications... consciousness, Radha: when one is caught up there, tied up there, one is said to be 'a being'.

Satta Sutta: A Being
    Precisely :thumbsup: Suffering ceases, joys & peace emerge.
    It seemed that Prometheus was interpreting it that all buddhists and buddhism contribution to the human world ought to be in total darkness of despair in order to resonate correctly with inherent Buddha teachings of 4NT. :rarr:
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited August 2011
    I've met many Zen monks, and they were all happy people, generally speaking. They were all trying hard to fulfil their calling and some of them had problems in their lives, of course. They had mostly learned to enjoy life without craving what they didn't or shouldn't have. Of course they "wanted" things. They wanted their students to learn. They wanted to be useful and they enjoyed the company of friends, enjoyed a good meal, enjoyed a good laugh. They wanted to please the Master who in turn taught them. In other words, they were human as you or I. We can only hope one day to see the world with a clear mind such as theirs.

Buddha tried the path of rejecting the pleasures that life had to offer when he starved himself as a forest asthetic. In the end he left it for the middle way. Neither cling to nor reject. For people just beginning to explore Buddhism, the difference between letting go of selfish desires and rejecting the world is confusing.

My advice is to not worry about it. Eventually, you'll find your own understanding.

edited August 2011
    Buddha tried the path of rejecting the pleasures that life had to offer when he starved himself as a forest asthetic. In the end he left it for the middle way.
    "The Middle Way" is the rejection of sense pleasures

If we are new to Buddhism, it is very important to not use the various teachings as a vehicle for judging ourself & placing unnecessary pressures upon ourself.

The Buddha's teachings are diverse to meet the needs of the diversity of humanity.

Some of us are struggling to accept that beings that have cultivated deep levels of meditative bliss and liberation do not enjoy ordinary enjoyments because to them these things are unenjoyable

If we develop a taste for fine food & wine, we lose enjoyment towards ordinary food & wine

The spiritual path is the same. The more the mind moves towards Nirvana, the more it ceases to enjoy grosser/coarser forms of pleasure

Kind regards :)
    Monks, these two extremes ought not to be practiced by one who has gone forth from the household life. What are the two?

There is addiction to indulgence of sense-pleasures, which is low, coarse, the way of ordinary people, unworthy and unprofitable; and there is addiction to self-mortification, which is painful, unworthy and unprofitable.

Avoiding both these extremes, the Tathagata (The Perfect One) has realized the Middle Path; it gives vision, gives knowledge and leads to calm, to insight, to enlightenment and to Nibbana.

Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta: Setting Rolling the Wheel of Truth

• I think I'm starting to understand a little more now. Thanks, everyone! This is where I stand on this issue after having read this thread:

I'm 28 years old and have just started to walk this path. There is much in my past that is painful and much of it was indeed related to desire and the resultant suffering. This I could see without ever having read a Buddhist text or talked to a Buddhist, although I may not have worded it exactly like that.

Since meditating and pondering the desire-suffering cycle in more depth, I am actually taking MORE pleasure in my life, not less. The sense of urgency has gone; I'm no longer always worried about the pleasurable experience ending because I know for a fact it will and I'm OK with that. It's a bit of a paradox to me right now, but it's a fun one!

I think, for now, I am going to concentrate on where I'm at in the present and let whatever happens, happen. If at some point I decide that full renunciation is necessary for my development as a spiritual being, I have that option. But I also understand that it is OK not to take that option.

I am probably going to form attachments along the way - but I believe I am on the way to developing better ways of dealing with them in order to minimise the resultant suffering. Given that I am only just getting started and infinity is...well...infinite, I may not achieve nirvana or escape from rebirth this time around. And so what? What law says I have to? I've literally got all the time in the world.
  • Well spoken, Vix Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Why, thank you!

• It seemed that Prometheus was interpreting it that all buddhists and buddhism contribution to the human world ought to be in total darkness of despair in order to resonate correctly with inherent Buddha teachings of 4NT. :rarr:
    Huh? I don't recognize myself in this characterization.
  • edited August 2011
    Dhamma Dhatu: "however, the Buddha described Nirvana as the destruction of craving"

Ok, though I feel like I must repeat myself... but I won't. Peace.
    edited August 2011
    hi Prometheus

I acknowledge what you said. But craving is the preceding condition for the arising of the "I".

Buddha went beyond transcending the "I". Buddha ended craving.

Further, it can be difficult to transend the "I" if one cannot manage craving.

Ordinarily, it is not craving that creates karma (acting) but intention & attachment.

If there is craving for ice-cream, it is the "I" that generally arises to indulge in it.

Imo, the genuine absence of "I" will result only in necessity rather than indulgence.

With metta DD :)
  • No, Buddhist practice should never mean rejecting the pleasure life brings. Not even for monks.

The translations usually say "craving" and that's far different from either enjoying or looking forward to activities that are fun and we enjoy. We have a word in our language that Buddha did not have that is even closer to what he meant, from the context. Addiction.

People become addicted to what they find pleasure in, and try to fill their lives with only these things. Sadly, it's self-defeating and leads to suffering as do all addictions. For one thing, we end up only concerned with our own happiness. Thus, you hear about the pitfalls of "selfish desires". That is far different from saying we shouldn't enjoy happiness when possible.

Does this help?
    Nice post

:thumbsup:
  • I believe suffering is not just one whole thing, but it can be looked at that way if one is going for the goal of nirvana. Suffering to me is like carrying a lot of luggage, it would feel lighter and easier if we can rid ourselves of the the excess luggage that we don't need.

• hi Prometheus

I acknowledge what you said. But craving is the preceding condition for the arising of the "I".

Buddha went beyond transcending the "I". Buddha ended craving.

Further, it can be difficult to transend the "I" if one cannot manage craving.

Ordinarily, it is not craving that creates karma (acting) but intention & attachment.

If there is craving for ice-cream, it is the "I" that generally arises to indulge in it.

Imo, the genuine absence of "I" will result only in necessity rather than indulgence.

With metta DD :)
    Thank you! Actual reasons for what you think, not just a Buddha-quote. It's appreciated, believe me.

However, I don't dispute that craving is the problem, I just take craving to be about need rather than want. We may want something, but if we don't need it in order to be happy then our happiness will naturally survive the passing of that thing. The fact that 'craving' is a better translation than 'desire' is precisely why I don't feel I'm arguing with the 4NT.
  • edited August 2011
    @ Dhamma Dhatu

On a perhaps little related note, you mentioned something I've seen conflicting views about. Does craving give rise to 'I', or does 'I' give rise to craving? See, I thought the whole point of transcending 'I' was to end craving, meaning that 'I' is the preceding condition for craving, not the other way around. After all, there can be no selfish craving without an 'I' to do the selfish craving. Otherwise, what's the point of transcending 'I'?
  • The heart's wish is not wrong. We follow this wish until the end of the path and beyond.

The problem is that grasping mind places things as objects of the wish which are unsatisfying things. For example we may wish for a degree or a house or whatever. Its not wrong to have those things, but they aren't satisfying of dukkha dimension. Buddha didn't have a house or a degree.
  • Dhamma Dhatu... I experience when I try to deprive myself of sense pleasures that my clarity of mind shuts down. I become depressed and I feel like I am being squeezed.

I know that my craving is still there and that is the reason. Nonetheless I have no release I feel so much pain. It feels as if I cannot meditate because I want to distract myself. There is a lot of fear to meditate. I am thinking so unclearly at these times that I literaly cannot understand written organized teachings. Maybe so much pain that I cannot read a paragraph and think what it means... it seems like it is taking forever and the pain is so much.

I think the pain is that my chi is not flowing correctly, but I do not know a remedy.

What I do in these situations is go back and forth between activities and attempt to just feel how I feel without constructing a situation a 'self' and something I have to do. It is hard to get it to work but I have moments of flashes of feeling better. But for example I might feel dullness in my body and try to feel my body but it is not liberating somehow because its like I am trying to construct an 'out' to my predicament.

edited August 2011
    Dhamma Dhatu... I experience when I try to deprive myself of sense pleasures that my clarity of mind shuts down. I become depressed and I feel like I am being squeezed.
    Definitely. This is why there is a variety of teachings & methods in Buddhism and why the Mahayana expanded the scope of teachings & methods. This is why many monks disrobe. This is why there are different religions. To have sensual craving & need for sensual & filial pleasure is an intrinsic part of the nature of a sentient being. This is why exalted beings such as the Dalai Lama practise tantra to help bring joy & genuine love to countless beings.

Personally, I regard someone that has overcome craving not to be a "saint" but to be a "freak"

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    With metta

• Personally, I regard someone that has overcome craving not to be a "saint" but to be a "freak"
    Love it!

• Being aware of what looking for a feeling is all about has been about the most useful information which I have found.
  • edited August 2011

Personally, I regard someone that has overcome craving not to be a "saint" but to be a "freak"

LOL - but its not completely impossible I hope !

:)