Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

i need YOUR help!

edited April 2005 in Buddhism Basics
hello!
Let me introduce myself, as you have probably not seen me around here before. My name is Hana, and I am currently a student in high school. This last semester I have been enrolled in World Religions, and I decided I would study Buddhism. I have been reading alot of material of Classical Buddhism, Zen, and NBS-and I have enjoyed every moment of it. It has been a wonderful experience, and I am so glad I took this class, it has been by far my best learning experience of my high school career. Anyhow, this month I have been given a list of questions that I need to have answered by a Buddhist. I would have liked to do an interview, but unfortunately, I do not know any practicing Buddhists. So, if you wouldn't mind, it would do me a WHOLE lot of help if you could fill out these few questions. I have been given the oppurtunity to study Buddhism in depth, but until now, I haven't been able to hear from any actual buddhists (besides authors, of course), and I feel, so that I might fully understand it (atleast to what capacity I am able), this is a vital part in my research. Also, this section of my studies is due on Friday, so it would be awesome if I could get atleast something in during this week. Sorry this is on such short notice, I wasn't given much time to do it, and I procrastinated more than I should've. Thank You so much!

sincerely,
hana

1. Are you a practicing Buddhist?

2. How long have you been a practicing Buddhist, and what drew you to it?

3. How has it changed your outlook on life?

4. What is the most intriguing thing about Buddhism to you?

5. What is the main goal of Buddhism?

6. Does Buddhism believe in an after-life? If so, by what means is it obtained?

7. What is this after-life like?

8. Is truth objective, or is relative?

9. Does Buddhism believe in any "higher power"

10. In your honest opinion, do you believe you can find true and lasting peace? and is
Buddhism the path to which you will find it?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2005
    Brian, as Chief Honcho, I think this one is definitely for you...... ;)
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited April 2005
    hana wrote:
    hello!
    Let me introduce myself, as you have probably not seen me around here before. My name is Hana, and I am currently a student in high school. This last semester I have been enrolled in World Religions, and I decided I would study Buddhism. I have been reading alot of material of Classical Buddhism, Zen, and NBS-and I have enjoyed every moment of it. It has been a wonderful experience, and I am so glad I took this class, it has been by far my best learning experience of my high school career. Anyhow, this month I have been given a list of questions that I need to have answered by a Buddhist. I would have liked to do an interview, but unfortunately, I do not know any practicing Buddhists. So, if you wouldn't mind, it would do me a WHOLE lot of help if you could fill out these few questions. I have been given the oppurtunity to study Buddhism in depth, but until now, I haven't been able to hear from any actual buddhists (besides authors, of course), and I feel, so that I might fully understand it (atleast to what capacity I am able), this is a vital part in my research. Also, this section of my studies is due on Friday, so it would be awesome if I could get atleast something in during this week. Sorry this is on such short notice, I wasn't given much time to do it, and I procrastinated more than I should've. Thank You so much!

sincerely,
    hana

Hello Hana.. You definitely found the right place.

I'll take a stab at your questions. Hopefully a few others will jump in here too :)
    hana wrote:

Yes.
    hana wrote:

I have been a practicing Buddhist since sometime in 2003. This thread has the details. Post #2 in this thread has the details of how I became disenchanted with the Catholic church.
    hana wrote:

A great deal. I'd say it's changed my life completely. Perhaps some of it can be explained by maturity, but my values, my outlook on guilt and negativity, and my appreciation for the small things in life have all changed in the last few years.
    hana wrote:

The undeniable logic of the core message.
    hana wrote:

To teach people how to become perfect human beings in this lifetime.
    hana wrote:

We believe in reincarnation. Upon the death of this body, our energy is reborn again and again until we learn how to detach ourselves from the cycle of samsara (birth and rebirth). We learn this by meditation, and by detaching ourselves from things that lead to suffering.
    hana wrote:

You're living in it, you tell me :)
    hana wrote:

Truth is objective.
    hana wrote:

That's a big question. Buddhism doesn't really regard it either way. There is a big discussion here about this. The Buddha never spoke of God or Gods. Some buddhists believe in god/gods, some don't.
    hana wrote:
    10. In your honest opinion, do you believe you can find true and lasting peace? and is Buddhism the path to which you will find it?

A resounding YES to both questions :)
  • edited April 2005
    thank you so much. I truly appreciate it!

I think you will be seeing more of me around here!
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited April 2005
    Excellent! Let us know how your paper goes :)

Oh, and welcome to the site :bigclap:
  • ZenLunaticZenLunatic Veteran
    edited April 2005

Yes. I only practice because I'm not very good at it yet.

I started studying in 2000. I'm not really sure what drew me to it. I think there was always an interest, but I wasn't sure what it was all about.

I have a better appreciation for all living things... although I still struggle with letting go of little things and dealing with people. :)

How much it was similar to Deconstructionism and Postmodernism.

What a loaded question! Having a goal implies having a desire to attain something, which is totally opposite of what buddhism is about. I don't think buddhism in itself has a goal. It just is. The same goes for a question like "what do you want from buddhism?", because there shouldn't be any want. It reminds me of a zen story where a young monk asks the master how long it will take him to reach enlightenment. The master replied, "10 years." "But what if I study really hard and meditate 10 hours a day?" asked the monk. The master replied, "20 years!" His desire to reach enlightenment was the very thing that was hindering him from attaining it!

Ask 100 buddhists this question, you'll get 100 different answers! It's hard to say what Buddhism or Buddhists believe, as everyone is different. Besides, belief isn't at the heart of Buddhism; knowing is. We can only know what we experience, and since I'm not dead yet, I know nothing of an after-life!

Asking questions like this one remind me of what I read in my first book, Buddhism: Plain and Simple. Steven Hagan said that Buddha likend our condition to being shot with an arrow. Most religions want to analyse the arrow, want to know where it came from, who shot it, what it was made of, instead of concentrating on the immediate concern: that you've just be shot with an arrow!

See above.

As long as we are locked in the prision of language, we'll never know the reality of truth.

If seeing all living things as being one isn't a higher power, I don't know what is!

10. In your honest opinion, do you believe you can find true and lasting peace? and is
    Buddhism the path to which you will find it?

I'll let you know if i find it ;)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2005
    "1. Are you a practicing Buddhist?"
    Yes, although it's more difficult for lay people, because they are beset by distractions like families, work, day-to-day living, etc....

"2. How long have you been a practicing Buddhist, and what drew you to it?"
    About four years. I think I've always been Buddhist tho', without realising it. Experiences I remember whilst I was young, have lit a few light-bulbs in my mind.....

"3. How has it changed your outlook on life?"
    ZenLunatic's answer works for me too.....! ;)

"4. What is the most intriguing thing about Buddhism to you?"
    The fact that it's all so simple, we can't grasp it. the answer to everything is to just 'let Go.' Simple doesn't mean easy.....

"5. What is the main goal of Buddhism?"
    To be Happy and to make others Happy.

"6. Does Buddhism believe in an after-life? If so, by what means is it obtained?"
    The Buddha was silent on this one, not because he couldn't answer the question, but because speculation was a waste of time. If you have a problem, and there is a solution, then no point worrying. If you have a problem, and there is no solution, then no use worrying.

"7. What is this after-life like?"
    Ultimate bliss, joy serenity, peace and happiness - don't begin to cover it. Available now, in handy human-sized packs.....

"8. Is truth objective, or is relative?"
    Next question......

"9. Does Buddhism believe in any "higher power"
    The only higher power anyone can really access is the Here and Now. All else is blockage.

"10. In your honest opinion, do you believe you can find true and lasting peace? and is Buddhism the path to which you will find it?"

If you cannot find peace where you are right now, then just where do you expect to find it?
    Yes.

//edit: federica's 's and 's fixed by brian ;)

Hope this helps! Incidentally, an international survey conducted by a social studies panel of experts from seven different countries came to the conclusion, three years ago, that all things considered, the happiest people on the planet were Buddhists. I am proud to count myself among them. (see my mantra below.) :)