Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Giving up on TB?

2»

Comments

• Good point..
  • well, I don't identify with any one path, I fit on my own personal path that incorporates various morals, so I guess go with whatever works for you. There is no such thing as downgrading :)
  • I took my vows at a TB place as that is all that is available to me where I live, bust mostly I identify toward Humanist Buddhism style than totally TB oriented. Certainly there was no 'lama' etc in my vows. I don't think my translatator fudged the lamas words on my accord.
  • @tjampel This is interesting; did your teacher know Chopel? He seems to be full of quotes by him.
    The teacher that turned me on to Chophel grew up in the USA. He's far too young to have been around when Chophel was teaching (he died in 1951). He's just has great respect for this teacher who absolutely refused to let culture or tradition get in the way of the search for the truth.

Chophel was the ultimate modernist in a country which rather blindly revered tradition.

For example, he attempted to bring Tibetans up to speed on the accepted shape of the Earth; most Tibetan lamas were still teaching the earth was more or less flat, well into the 1930s and 40s/ Chophel, while writing and traveling in India, at the time, told one high Lama, on his way to China that "not even a dog in China would receive him" if he continued to espouse such a foolish and outdated belief.
  • one could be a Scientist and hold opinions that conflict with mainstream science. One could be a Doctor and hold opinions that conflict with mainstream medicine.
    One could be a Russian and hold beliefs that are not typical of Russian society.
    Many people could hold different philosophies and still all of them be human.

These are all just labels for the same thing. Don't trouble yourself with "being" a word. Just be, and be well.